1999.5 Jetta TDI died and won't restart.

coastal99

TDI
Jetta TDI, 1999,black
My 1999.5 Jetta TDI died one evening as I was slowing down for a stop sign and would not restart. I have checked all the usual items, relay 109, anti shutter valve, timing belt, changed fuel and air filter... It doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. I have about 1/2 tank of fuel from a fill up 4 days earlier. I am not getting any error codes. Any ideas? :confused:

coastal99

TDI
Jetta TDI, 1999,black
I have read things about a "lift pump" does that apply to my car?

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Lift pump is not stock on your car. Even if one were added, it would not prevent the car from starting.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If there is fuel coming out the pump's return outlet fitting while cranking then the pump should be getting enough fuel to run the engine.

Take your 17mm wrench and crack all 4 lines loose at each injector...just a twist, no more. Then crank the engine and see if any fuel "spits" out of those connections. If it does not, then the pump is not delivering any fuel.

Keep in mind the engine needs to be cranking reasonably quick (400 RPMs+) in order to properly start. You can watch cranking RPMs via a scan tool. If there are NO cranking RPMs showing, you most likely have a dead CKP sensor in the block.