www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 8th, 2018, 15:25   #361
2015GSW

Fuel Economy: 42
Default 2015 TDI DSG phase 2 wait until 40K miles?

I bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI in April. This was a buyback car that had a Michigan title. I called the Strong VW service department in Salt Lake City. Their phase 2 guy "Chip" said the computer will tell him if the A kit and/or B kit needs to be installed based on the VIN lookup. I asked if I get the A kit now could I come back later to have the B kit installed? He said no, it is a one shot deal for the phase 2 emissions recall, if you only get the A kit installed there is no option to come back later for the B kit. I asked him is it better to wait to get to 40K miles for the DSG. Chip said he could not advise me and no one has asked him that question before, which I find very surprising. I'm only at 30K miles right now and doubt I could get to 40K by December 2018 which is the deadline on claims.vwgoa.com for completing the phase 2 settlement. It seems like those with DSG transmissions should try to reach 40K miles by December if they want the part B kit. Does anyone know more about this?

Last edited by 2015GSW; June 8th, 2018 at 16:01.
2015GSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 17:56   #362
TDIBill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55, 45, 40
Default 2015 Passat

Just bought a gen 3 car with fix, seems fine to me…

97 Passat TDI!!!! 554,000mi, 96 Variant!!!306,000 (A Black Beauty!), 82 Rabbit TD PU, 85 Jetta Dsl 234k
TDIBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:08   #363
bluebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
All this is too confusing, to be sure. What I am interpreting is:

1. For those who are original purchasers of 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI's (purchased prior to when the Emissions scandal hit): You get Phase 1 + Phase 2 (2A + 2B, regardless of vehicle mileage when brought in for Phase 2).

2. For those who purchased a 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI from a VW dealer after these vehicles were bought back from prior owners and where VW provided the Phase 1 fix before putting them back on the market, this is where the 40k miles for DSG/70k miles for manuals, come into play regarding if you get Phase 2 2A or 2A+2B.

I also think (but am not certain) that the claims portal is for claiming restitution payment decisions. For those in this second group, VW is currently denying such owners of a restitution. I don't think a claim number is required for such owners who already are assuming their vehicles are not eligible for restitution payments - so they don't needlessly have to go through the claim process for the intent of seeking the emissions fix only (not intending to qualify for a restitution payment).

Again, I could be wrong. Just my interpretations from what I am reading within this forum.
I am pretty sure your interpretation is correct. I bought mine new in 2015 and have less than 40k miles. Mine got both kits, if that helps. I fall under "may need new DOC before 150,000 miles".

Last edited by bluebus; June 9th, 2018 at 08:12.
bluebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 18:03   #364
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015GSW View Post
I bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI in April. This was a buyback car that had a Michigan title. I called the Strong VW service department in Salt Lake City. Their phase 2 guy "Chip" said the computer will tell him if the A kit and/or B kit needs to be installed based on the VIN lookup. I asked if I get the A kit now could I come back later to have the B kit installed? He said no, it is a one shot deal for the phase 2 emissions recall, if you only get the A kit installed there is no option to come back later for the B kit. I asked him is it better to wait to get to 40K miles for the DSG. Chip said he could not advise me and no one has asked him that question before, which I find very surprising. I'm only at 30K miles right now and doubt I could get to 40K by December 2018 which is the deadline on claims.vwgoa.com for completing the phase 2 settlement. It seems like those with DSG transmissions should try to reach 40K miles by December if they want the part B kit. Does anyone know more about this?
He is telling you incorrect information. Someone posted a screenshot of the letter a page or so back in this thread if you'd like to read it, but you probably already have a letter of your own in the mail or your vehicle manual.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 18:14   #365
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Yep, there are no deadlines listed in the recall letter.

I'm still thinking through the best timing on this. I'm a new old-stock purchase, under 40k in a DSG. It seems the prudent move would be to get the flash and 2nd NOx sensor now and then go as long as VW will allow before going back for the replacement DPF, DOC, and SCR.

Unless I'm reading the letter wrong or making bad assumptions.

Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 19:58   #366
tomo366
TDI Lifer

My 2015 Jetta went in today for Phase 2 he said this is only the 2nd Stick car for them the gave me a 2017 Golf Sportwagen with 4 Motion and 1400miles decent car
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 20:32   #367
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Yep, there are no deadlines listed in the recall letter.

I'm still thinking through the best timing on this. I'm a new old-stock purchase, under 40k in a DSG. It seems the prudent move would be to get the flash and 2nd NOx sensor now and then go as long as VW will allow before going back for the replacement DPF, DOC, and SCR.

Unless I'm reading the letter wrong or making bad assumptions.
Without rehashing the deadline conversation , I think 2015GSW is asking about whether it's true that the fix is a "one-shot" deal as in whatever mileage you come in with for your first fix is whatever policy is going to be followed.

That information the technician told him is directly contradicted by the letter you posted #331, which clearly states if you are under 40K or 70K, depending on transmission type, you'll be asked to come back for a separate service in the future.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just clarifying for 2015GSW that doing as much as you can now like you're suggesting and then coming in as long as VW will allow you to wait for the final fixes is better than what he was led to believe he should be doing per the tech's advice.

I'm not sure how much any of this will matter to our vehicles. I imagine it's more CYA than necessary. I don't really understand the difference between the DSG and manual mileage milestones, either.
Old June 11th, 2018, 07:06   #368
Big R

TDI(s): 2015 Audi A3

I just had my 2015 A3 done.
I had not taken it in for Phase I. All the paperwork just refers to Phase II. I assume they must have done the Phase I stuff as well.
Car drives differently, but no worse. Too soon to know about MPG.
Big R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 08:52   #369
bizzle
Veteran Member

Well, here we go....

Apparently I'm the second at this shop according to the service manager. When I made my appointment last week the tech told me they'd done it before and I wasn't one of the first. Guess I'm not the first, lmao, cross your fingers!
Old June 12th, 2018, 04:49   #370
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Regarding 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI's that are below the 40k (DSG) or 70k (manual) mileage thresholds when getting Phase 2A kit only (and the extended warranty starts over again after Phase 2 fix), when these cars get over 70k miles later and are brought back in for the Phase 2B hardware change-out, is the extended emissions warranty extended yet again? Or is the Phase 2 extended warranty only extended once with the 2A kit install?
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 05:59   #371
Big R

TDI(s): 2015 Audi A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
I just had my 2015 A3 done.
I had not taken it in for Phase I. All the paperwork just refers to Phase II. I assume they must have done the Phase I stuff as well.
Car drives differently, but no worse. Too soon to know about MPG.
Phase II completed last Thursday. Chase payment in my checking account yesterday (Monday).

Now waiting for Bosch...
Big R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 12:08   #372
bizzle
Veteran Member

Service manager cleared my tank of diesel and oil change but different one is telling my buddy that oil change is only for original owners and free tank of fuel is only for Touareg owners. He did say that if my buddy showed him something in writing he'd be able to honor it.

Anyone have a number or advice? The screenshot provided only states they'll be done but not enough of the letter is visible to demonstrate who/what it applies to.
Old Yesterday, 08:30   #373
dataiv
Veteran Member

If anyone has VCDS and can log a regen, or check the regen measuring blocks, I'd be interested to know if the regen duration is shortened at all or regen frequency decreased at all.

I have a 2015 6-speed manual with Phase 1, and regens take 15 minutes from start to end (compared to 10 minutes on my old 2011), and they definitely happen more frequently. Frequency isn't as important as length, which is a bit ridiculous now. If it just happens to start a regen at the end of a trip, and you don't want to interrupt it, 15 minutes is a long time to keep driving around aimlessly or idling in the driveway!

Has anyone that has phase 2 noticed the length of regens since the phase 2 update, and if so, can you report on it?
Old Today, 08:24   #374
r11
Veteran Member

I agree with you on it. My prev car was '12 TDI (no fix) and regens were few and far between. Rare to catch one .

Current car is 15' CPO with Phase 1 applied and I do notice the regens. I dont hesitate to interrupt though, especially knowing I am going to be getting whole new everything @ time of Phase 2 .

When I catch it while driving, I downshift to get the RPMs above 2K, thinking running hotter should help it finish sooner and/or getting a better burn out of the gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataiv View Post
If anyone has VCDS and can log a regen, or check the regen measuring blocks, I'd be interested to know if the regen duration is shortened at all or regen frequency decreased at all.

I have a 2015 6-speed manual with Phase 1, and regens take 15 minutes from start to end (compared to 10 minutes on my old 2011), and they definitely happen more frequently. Frequency isn't as important as length, which is a bit ridiculous now. If it just happens to start a regen at the end of a trip, and you don't want to interrupt it, 15 minutes is a long time to keep driving around aimlessly or idling in the driveway!

Has anyone that has phase 2 noticed the length of regens since the phase 2 update, and if so, can you report on it?
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23   #375
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

I purchased new old stock GSW with Phase 1 applied. It regens every 240 miles for 11 minutes like clockwork. My 2012 Passat (also with AdBlue) did exactly the same. I monitor all regens with SG2. I’m holding out on Phase 2 so no data to report there.

Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote