Potential for a D24T swap?

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
Not really sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this in but...
Couldn't find any other threads on this so here goes.
Would it be possible to swap a D24T engine into an Mk5 jetta chassis? I understand I would need to make some drivetrain modifications, new transmission, etc.
Only asking because its either I do some sort of swap in the next few months or I rebuild the 300k km stock engine so that I can make some major modifications with less risk.
Thanks in advance.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Anything can be done with enough time, money, and dose of insanity. What are your goals? And why does your engine need rebuilt? Mine has 305k km with around 185 hp and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a higher power build.

Last edited:

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
I wasn't planning on anything too insane. I actually wasn't aware that BRM tdi's could handle that much power with that high mileage:p

But my eventual plan was to build a pretty crazy Jetta, and I have read that the practical limit of the BRM without sacrificing the famous tdi reliability is around 250ps / 450lb/ft. I have seen some people running around 450ps / 700lb/ft on built D24T's (on forums, so I can't really verify the validity :D)

Also, the engine in my tdi was driven really hard its whole life (never warmed up properly, held at the rev limiter for inordinate amounts of time) so I really won't trust the structural integrity of most of the components until I actually have the time to tear it down to a bare block.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think a d24t would work transverse with front wheel drive. The I6 engine is pretty long.

Last edited:

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
I don't think a d24t would work transverse with front wheel drive. The I6 engine is pretty long.
Oh. Is there any other turbodiesel engines (VW, Volvo, Mercedes) that would conform to the mk5 engine bay size? I'm not completely stuck on a D24T, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
By far the easiest route would be to build your current motor, or a spare brm. I think you'd be pretty satisfied with 250 hp. Just tell your friends it has 450. :D

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Before considering an engine swap or anything big on your daily driver, you should watch the video in this Jalopnik article. Also, the swap they are attempting would be a lot easier than the swap you would like to attempt.

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-time-i-thought-i-could-do-a-motor-swap-in-moms-gara-1748335994

There's cheap, fast and reliable, pick two. Mind you, it's also possible to pay a lot for something fast and it can still miss out on the reliable part. If you're eager to wrench and learn on a new project, I encourage you to do so. However, it's best to learn on a project beater car, not your primary source of transportation. I only say that because I've been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Putting that 2.4L I6 lump in there would be like one step forward, and about five steps back. Seriously, not something you would want to consider. The BRM is a much, much better engine, simply due in large part to DI and EDC.

Why do you think it even needs to be "rebuilt"?

I think even your 300k km BRM even with a tune, starting now, against a BRAND NEW 2.4L IDI VAG TD (assuming we could find one) would outlive it.