FrostHeater Plug-in Mod: My Solution w/pics

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I like the OP's setup a lot. I've been really thinking about a good solution. A flip down lid would be a must if I'm going to do it.
Off topic, my solution to driving off has been coil up the 25' big extension cord (car is only about 8' from the plug) and wrap it up. If I drive off with it still plugged in it pulls out one end or the other instead of pulling the extension cord into the street and flying all over the place.

lubtheDub

TDI
'01 Jetta
How are Frostheater's

I am looking to add a heater to my 2001 Jetta, how have you all found Frostheater for both quality and ease of installation? Would anyone know whether getting the heater from the manufacturer to save money would be a bad idea? I live in Canada and the extra cost of shipping made me consider going around Frostheater to the source. Just not sure how good their kits are, and how much is added by them.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I am looking to add a heater to my 2001 Jetta, how have you all found Frostheater for both quality and ease of installation? Would anyone know whether getting the heater from the manufacturer to save money would be a bad idea? I live in Canada and the extra cost of shipping made me consider going around Frostheater to the source. Just not sure how good their kits are, and how much is added by them.

He is the manfacturer,He has good prices on his products.He is out of Arlington, Minnessota

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
As far as I know, he does not manufacture, only assembles a kit with a zerotherm or something heater and everything required to mount it

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have had mine in since September 2005. It took all of 45 minutes to install, and I lost about a pint of coolant.

Simply put, it's a great product at a great price.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
As far as I know, he does not manufacture, only assembles a kit with a zerotherm or something heater and everything required to mount it

This is his design. So he has parts special made for his product,I would call that a manufacture.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Frost's kits are plug and play. If you just buy a Zerostart heater, you will have to make the mounting bracket and sift through all of the curved hoses at the auto parts store to find the right ones for a neat installation. Terry does all of that for you, at a very reasonable cost. You will be supporting a vendor who supports this site, AND you even get a bag of M&Ms to munch on while you're doing the install! :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This is his design. So he has parts special made for his product,I would call that a manufacture.
Either way the heating element (which is 90% of his product) can be bought cheaper and made to work on your car.

It's just Mr Frost has taken that last 10% of hassle out of the install. To many people, not dealing with that last 10%, it is well worth paying for his kit.

I'd buy one if I lived a but further north, i can deal with the week or so we see of single digits.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Either way the heating element (which is 90% of his product) can be bought cheaper and made to work on your car.

It's just Mr Frost has taken that last 10% of hassle out of the install. To many people, not dealing with that last 10%, it is well worth paying for his kit.
I think that your percentages are off just a bit. Unless, that is, you put absolutely no value on your time spent making a mounting bracket or finding the correct hoses. I try to "do-it-myself" as often as possible, but in this case, the Frostheater kit is a no-brainer.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I think that your percentages are off just a bit. Unless, that is, you put absolutely no value on your time spent making a mounting bracket or finding the correct hoses. I try to "do-it-myself" as often as possible, but in this case, the Frostheater kit is a no-brainer.
Well said! I would add that even with the kit and the full colour detailed chassis specific instructions that come with it can be a bit of work to wrestle the parts into the engine bay. I was very very very thankful I purchased a frostheater kit that had the correct hoses and mount and I only had to do this once.

edit: on topic content: I really like this solution Oly! Looks very clean and solid. I haven't decided where to put my cord ever since I deleted the lower grilles on my Golf. I kindof like the solid block off plate idea for the lower grilles and mounted it in there... but out the side would be so much quicker, or possibly secured solidly using a bracket in the gaping hole I have were the drivers side grille used to be...

Either way, finding the mounting location for the plug has got to be the most enjoyable part of installing a FrostHeater!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i wasn't knocking the frost heater, it's def seems like a great product, that adapts a product to meet our needs with the least amount of hassle

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I really like this solution Oly! Looks very clean and solid. I haven't decided where to put my cord ever since I deleted the lower grilles on my Golf. I kindof like the solid block off plate idea for the lower grilles and mounted it in there... but out the side would be so much quicker, or possibly secured solidly using a bracket in the gaping hole I have were the drivers side grille used to be...

Either way, finding the mounting location for the plug has got to be the most enjoyable part of installing a FrostHeater!
Yeah, I enjoyed installing the plug-in port more than I did installing the heater! It's holding-up excellently although there are some mars in the paint on the door rim from road wear. No biggie -- that's what touch-up paint is for!

There have been no problems whatsoever so far; nice and dry. I must reiterate, however, that this solution is best suited for those who have a cord situation amenable to the side plug-in. In other words, if you think you'lll drive off without noticing your cord, perhaps this isn't the right solution! I drape my cord from the plug-in port over the driver's side mirror which is nearly impossible to miss when getting into the car.

I like the "look" the longer I have it...

MonsterTDI09

TDI
The extention cord I use has little led light inside the plug.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
The extention cord I use has little led light inside the plug.
Yes! Mine as well. When I walk into the garage, there is a big blue cord draped across my mirror and a glowing cord plugged into the port -- I'd have to be sleep walking to miss that...

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Just to update after 6 years of using this mod:

The plug-in mod has endured without problems for the last six years of daily commuting. The paint wore off the receptacle but I've not been motivated to repaint it and I've gotten used to seeing it lighter grey. The plug prongs remain shiny bright -- like new and the door works perfectly and spring remains firm. Nothing has come loose. About two years ago, I re-coated the wires behind the bumper with liquid electrical tape simply to retain the water proofing. Everything has been just perfect and maintenance free.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I mounted the marine plug in the grill, right in the center of the VW emblem.

My wife (me too) loves the ease of plugging and unplugging without having to stoop down, plus it's always clean.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I mounted the marine plug in the grill, right in the center of the VW emblem.

My wife (me too) loves the ease of plugging and unplugging without having to stoop down, plus it's always clean.

That's great, Phaser -- if you back out of the garage and your plugged in, it would pull out without damage.

Got any pix?

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
Looking for just the heater unit

My block heater from Frost heater that I installed on my 2004 Jetta 5 years ago has stopped working. It popped the one circuit. Then when I tried another circuit in the garage, it produced no heat. Does anybody know where I can buy just the heater? I don't see just the heater unit listed on the Frost Heater website.
***Update: I was apparently too impatient. It seems to be working properly now. ***

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I dunno. i had enough of cords. Installed a Webasto this winter. Cordless warmups. Priceless.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My heater also seems to have stopped working. Going to verify with an amp-clamp tonight, but pretty sure it stopped.

Might take mine apart and see if it can be fixed internally... Can't break it anymore than it already is!

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My heater also seems to have stopped working. Going to verify with an amp-clamp tonight, but pretty sure it stopped.

Might take mine apart and see if it can be fixed internally... Can't break it anymore than it already is!
Verified that power is working ok, but on the colder days I must not have had the timer on long enough to make a difference. Changed the length on the timer, and seems to be starting better now.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I recently installed a Frostheater in my Jetta, today I had to scrape ice off of the glass but the engine started right up w/o issue.