Turbo intake pipe cracked at turbo

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
This is part of my thread about removing the cylinder head but I wanted to keep it separate because it's really it's own topic.

When I pulled off the plastic intake pipe to the turbo, I found that the end of it was badly cracked. I guess the turbo gets pretty hot, but the intake air should cool the pipe pretty well, except for when the engine shuts off and the heat soaks everything. I just can't believe that VW would bolt a plastic part directly to a turbo charger. To heck with the intercooler lines, someone needs to make one of these out of steel!

Anyway, this is what it looked like when I took it out:

Who knows how long it has been cracked and how that has affected my metered air. I doubt much total air snuck in there, it's a tight crack, but I knew I needed to fix it.

First I cleaned it off with orange cleaner and a tooth brush. Then Dawn Ultra dish soap and tooth brush. Then some more cleaner. Rinsed it really well and then put it into an easy-bake convection oven to dry out really well. I ran a Dremel sanding disc all around the cracked area to rough up the surface, then wiped it down with alcohol. I reached for the second most useful tool in the tool box:

Good to 500 degrees!
I put a nice schmear all around the cracked area, inside the crack and around the webbing to help provide support.

The rubber band holds the crack closed. JB Weld is drippy (unless you use the 5 minute stuff, but it doesn't hold to high temps like this) so I had to flip the tube over every 10-15 minutes for about 3 hours. It still dripped after I went to bed! That was annoying. But I figured that it could use more support outside the bell housing. There is plenty of room on the turbo for a thicker flange, so I sanded it some more, cut some picture hanging wire, wrapped it once around and put on another coat of JB Weld the next day.

I am going to test fit it to the turbo tomorrow and see where I can put one more coat on without hitting any of the studs or flanges.

I only found one place on the whole internet selling this pipe and they wanted $169.00 for it. Yikes! So I guess $1 worth of JB Weld was a good investment.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yep,mine wasn't that bad-I think I put some JB weld on it to(on mine ,just the plastic tabs were cracked and split a little)-no sense in trying to find used one-it'll be the same.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
Yep...mine broke last year. I am still using it with just one tab holding it to the turbo...hopefully nothing goes wrong...

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I am guessing it won't pop off during use, it fits pretty snugly and it's under suction when the car is running, but no use having hot air or crud get in there. It's not hard to replace and there is plenty of room on it for adding extra JB Weld or other epoxy.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none

This happened to mine, I cut if where shown in the attached picture just in front of the ring, and used a strait piece of 2 inch er maybe 1 7/8 radiator hose and a pair of hose clamps to attach it.

Been 10K miles and it still working great, the added flexibility of the hose helps too

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
12MPGHWY said:

This happened to mine, I cut if where shown in the attached picture just in front of the ring, and used a strait piece of 2 inch er maybe 1 7/8 radiator hose and a pair of hose clamps to attach it.

Been 10K miles and it still working great, the added flexibility of the hose helps too
Man,that's a good idea-I'm surprised no one has ever thought of it before.Maybe it should be put under how-to section or somewhere else that won't get lost.

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
12MPGHWY said:

It's good to know that there is an option if my JB doesn't hold or the eye tabs break off or something.