Main cooling fan seized up... but small one works..how long though ?

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
The temp gauge isn't hot but I would appreciate any input on how long I can get away with just one fan cooling the rad...
I live in Toronto, Canada and it's pretty hot right now...

I think I found a new one from a local dealer for $105. so, I'll be putting it in soon !!

thanks

Chris.

porterman

Veteran Member
My wifes 1.8 T audi B5 went one whole year and a hot summer without the main fan blade. The temp gauge did not rise at all the whole time, but I read they are calibrated to stay in the middle over a certain temp range. Since the whole front of the car has to come off to replace it (like doing the timing belt), I put the job off. Now that I'm unemployed that excuse ran out. I was able to cut the top off the radiator plastic cover (carrier)to slip the blade in without taking the front off the car. I would not have been able to tighten the bolts holding the blade on without my Metalnerd stubby 5mm allen head on a quarter inch breaker bar. So this is a tdi related post after all.
I think the Tdi wastes less heat than the 1.8, but I don't have hard numbers to base that on.

Jeff

TurBoLover

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI w/ 164000
It also depends on the amount of driving you do. I had a scirocco with a fan delete mod that was fine until I got stuck in traffic. As soon as speeds dropped below 10-15 mph it would slowly start to overheat. Driving down the highway you really don't need the fan at all, it's just when you're at slow speeds that there is not enough air moving.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The AC is going to be the problem. Without the fan it will be 'strained' to work when you're stopped. The motor doesn't create that much heat when sitting still, and when moving the airflow will be sufficient.