vibration damper/pulley problem

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
Looks like the pulley(ribbed) and vibration damper are one unit. How do you get it off. Looks like a strange looking nut holding it. What kind of socket do you use on that? Is there a special way you hold the crank from turning to remove it?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It looks like that central 12-point bolt is holding the vibration damper/pulley on but it's not... it's being held on by the 4 allen-head bolts that surround the central bolt... and likely some rust. :) :)

If you loosen the central crankshaft bolt you'll remove the crankshaft sprocket and will need to re-do the timing belt install procedure, using a new crankshaft bolt (they are single-use). That's probably not your intent.

Remove the 4 allen-head bolts and then some gentle tapping and or a good penetrating oil (not WD-40) may be required to persuade the damper to come loose off of the crank sprocket.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
the vbelt and the ribbed 'balanced' pulley come apart and go together as one, when you get apart,,-if you have to- the outer vbelt pulley can come apart from main 'balance' pulley. usually light prying. they dont usually need to be separated. note the pulleys go together 'one way'. you should line up the 'right' hole for both pulleys, the two bigger holes line up. they fit over where on the crank timing gear has a line up 'pip' for pulley.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
In other words, the holes look like they're 90° apart, but they're actually not. There is only one way all 4 holes will line up on both pulleys.

I find a plastic hammer or deadblow are often required for starting the pulleys to separate. Time and penetrating oil are your friend here. Just don't hit it too hard that the pulley gets warped.

Do not touch the 12 point 19mm nut in the center, as Vince said. That'll create a whole lot more work.

I replace those 4 Allen bolts with ones that don't bend as easy and have better corrosion resistance. I just get them from my local hardware store.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
fyi abacus, if your getting *these allen bolts from a hardware store, not only is the length special and hard to find otherwise, and i like ones with shoulders as well. i do believe these are 10.9 grade. some hardware stores are good enough to have some 10.9 stock, in this length, i dont know.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
I find a plastic hammer or deadblow are often required for starting the pulleys to separate. Time and penetrating oil are your friend here. Just don't hit it too hard that the pulley gets warped.
these arent exactly cheap pulleys in combo. i suppose in cheaper aftermarket suppliers you can find them. i think i bought the vbelt pulley from VW, if i remember the price ~$80 for that alone. from VW if you can still find the ribbed 'balance' pulley its north of $400. so if your gonna do this to separate pulleys, know what your doing. mine i found i just pried some and they ended up coming apart. like i said theres not a lot of reasons for the pulleys to need to come apart. all of us have the pulleys removed, most can just be put back on, no probs.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
fyi abacus, if your getting *these allen bolts from a hardware store, not only is the length special and hard to find otherwise, and i like ones with shoulders as well. i do believe these are 10.9 grade. some hardware stores are good enough to have some 10.9 stock, in this length, i dont know.
I haven't had an issue finding them and the ones I use are 10.9, the ones I've always gotten in kits were the 8.8.

like i said theres not a lot of reasons for the pulleys to need to come apart.
Sure there is, when they're changed. I've done dozens of them since virtually every one I've seen is worn out and wobbling.

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
Thank you from all who have responded. I just got back. The ribbed pulley is very loose and wobbles all over. When I take the four bolts out and take the v pulley off, I will be able to see much better. The belt itself became very narrow. wonder it still worked.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
yea, 1 both pulleys come off mount in one piece.
2 if it appears your pulley is wobbling, can it be your crank timing gear? be sure 1st. again if the pulley is wobbling and for how long, has crank gear taken wear/damage as well? thats a job, and not for a first timer, in my estimation.
a crank gear as a part isnt hard to find, if i recall, however stock VW price for that isnt cheap, ~$80 if i remember. the 'balance' serpentine pulley is expensive from VW, you may be able to find 'cheapies' at ~$130(+). i wouldnt recommend that quality for that part. but then again its your judgment and wallet.
whats the condition of the timing belt? visual? cause for one other belts and parts in adjoining areas are very far gone as you point out.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you from all who have responded. I just got back. The ribbed pulley is very loose and wobbles all over. When I take the four bolts out and take the v pulley off, I will be able to see much better. The belt itself became very narrow. wonder it still worked.
Sounds like your crank sprocket has come loose, especially if the HB is wobbling and your timing belt has gotten chewed up.

Pull the HB and check the sprocket and bolt. If it's loose you will need to pull it and check the crank snout for integrity and replace the sprocket / bolt if necessary. The procedure to do so is in the Bentley.

This is one of those things I like to visually check often, because the consequences of a failure is pretty bad, just as bad as a broken timing belt.

Steve

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
I pulled the ribbed pulley and damper. The crank timing pulley and belt don't seem to be affected. I ordered the the ribbed damper and pulley. I also ordered the tightener pulley because it was getting a little wobbly. behind the damper there seems to be a part that is is coming apart that may have been damaged by the loose pulley that moved back and forth and that no doubt damaged the belt. Anybody know what that part is and can I order it?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
a pic would be nice.
other than that, the vbelt pulley is outside and sits in the ribbed 'balanced' pulley. then both bolt up to the crank timing gear. so i dont know anything else thats there that can be what you describing as damaged, its usually the 'balance' ribbed pulley, i do believe you also calling a damper. and crank timing gear, which is directly under.
getting the latest version of the ribbed pulley is important. i do believe the latest 'upgrade' ends with part# 243 T.

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
The ribbed crank pulley was sliding back and forth on the damper and caused the damage on that other part behind. That part must be part of the cover. perhaps should have a seal on it to maybe keep stuff from getting into the timing cover. If that is what it is, then I would maybe have to get another section of the cover and remove the timing pulley. Any other possibilities?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The ribbed crank pulley was sliding back and forth on the damper and caused the damage on that other part behind. That part must be part of the cover. perhaps should have a seal on it to maybe keep stuff from getting into the timing cover. If that is what it is, then I would maybe have to get another section of the cover and remove the timing pulley. Any other possibilities?
If it's just the outer section of the HB that came loose and moved around then perhaps the core of the HB and the sprocket is tight. You will need to check that but if that's the case then you needn't pull and replace the timing sprocket, just replace the HB and the four bolts and you're good to go.

If it got into the lower timing cover you'll have to figure out what to do about that, find a replacement if you can.

I'm kind of surprised it didn't give you more notice, like a persistent squeaking, that's what the warning was with mine.

Good luck!

Steve