CEL + flashing Glow plug...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Sunday I was driving and had a CEL illuminate. Understanding that a solid CEL wasn't an Emergency situation I checked things out and continued on my way. A few miles later I was trying to get home with the Cruise set at 65 MPH and noticed that I had lost speed as I was climbing a hill. I turned off the cruise and down shifted and the Glow Plug Light started flashing, I had a noticeable decrease in power and had to shift into 4th gear to pull the hill. Of course I thought of the dreaded turbo failure. I was looking for a plume of smoke, etc as I departed the interstate and pulled into a fuel station to check things out.

Nothing on the gauges besides the two lights, no plume of smoke and no loss of oil. I put some fuel in the car and read the manual. Of course flashing glow plug light means instant death. I restarted the car and NO flashing GPL. No VW dealership for 70 miles so I traveled the 15 miles home. On the trip I could hear air swooshing as I demanded power (boost leak) I pulled the small hose that everyone else has problems with (Charge air hose) and it doesn't appear to have any holes.

~Does anyone have a diagram of the rest of the boost tubes that may be shot?

~Does anyone have any other thoughts where I should look?

~Will the extended warranty that VW recently offered cover this failure?

Thanks in advance.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
~Does anyone have any other thoughts where I should look?
Although it certainly sounds like you have a boost leak a great first step would be to have the car scanned for codes. The ECU knows something is wrong and is trying to tell you.. in some detail. :):) There's hundreds of codes, and dozens that are serious enough to trigger the "fix me now" CEL that is the flashing glow plug light.

Without a scan you're just entertaining internet guesses, and that can get expensive. :D

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I don't think that I have seen it related to the CEL or glow plug light, but it reminds me of this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=420659

Post #4 points to another post and Post #11 has a link to the diagram that I think you are looking for.
Thanks for you leg work. I pulled the top hose and it appears good. No way to bench test without a little work. I will pull the bottom I/C pipe tonight.