Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF's

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
Re: Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF\'s

gotcha

Thanks for the pix, I'm too visual sometimes

I'm going to try in do my windows this weekend. I'm taking some pics too so Ill let you guys know how it went.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

JSG,

We finally encountered the NON self-catching rollers for the cable!!!

Man, what a pain. But, we were able to do it by placing the cable in the knotch, holding the cable with one finger and turning the wheel with the screw driver.

Being careful not to puncture my hand in the process!!! All is well.

Lito

PS. My drawing has one error. the left clip is on the OUTSIDE of the rail, but I don't feel like fixing it!! You get the point, right?

Ok, it's fixed.

[ September 16, 2002, 14:37: Message edited by: tongsli ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Sorry for being a pest, but are these "rollers" specific on any model? I've got a early golf A4, will I see this type of roller?

thanks guys, this is great info

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Don't know. It was Dezelboy's car. Can't remember the Model Year.

It's easy, if you see something OTHER than what I posted on the other page, then it's different.

Just use the method I described.

The other roller wheel has knotches along the side that you use to "catch" the cable and get it seated properly.

Not as slick as the other type, but it works. Just be sure not to slip and stabb yourself with the screw driver in the process.

I understand they have a special tool to turn the wheels so that this is not as much of a problem.

Lito

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member

I think if you can get the cable wedged in the notch by itself and it not fall off, you can just push the clips down and let the cable roll itself onto the wheel.

I do this on the easy style roller, and I plan on trying it with the hard kind, next time I get one that needs a kit.

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

IIRC, Dezlboy's car is a MY 2000.

Lito, I don't think we told you this, but the driver's side was the "old" style roller and the passenger side was the "new" better kind! How strange that they'd put both kinds in one car.

FWIW, the harder one was a white pulley and the easier was black.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Here's a drawing..

[ September 16, 2002, 14:34: Message edited by: tongsli ]

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

JSG, he said he hadn't had one changed, and I think he's the only owner of the car. The doorlock rivets were still in place on both door panels. The doors I've seen that have been done by dealers have had the rivets drilled out.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Strrech - you are correct. My Golf is MY2000, delivered Apr 2000 (built in Feb? Mar?) One door had "easy" new style roller, other door "hard" old style roller. Regulators never touched previously. My guess is VW had recently switched to the new style, but were still using up the older style at the factory.

Okay guys....help put me at ease. Does anyone use a torque wrench on the clips? I didn't. Book says 10Nm. I tightened them pretty snug (after the screw stopped tweaked a bit more) - but now worried may be overly tight and will shatter the glass (if temperature change? over rough roads?) cause glass in clip won't be able to flex.

What you think? I really don't want to muck with the door anymore.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Scott,

You'll be fine. 10nm isn't that much. Remember, even if the bolt works itself loose, the clip will keep the glass from falling down.

You'll hear it shake and rattle when closing the door(like Mikeywork's car) before it falls into your door.

Lito

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI

Originally posted by tongsli:
You'll be fine. 10nm isn't that much. Remember, even if the bolt works itself loose, the clip will keep the glass from falling down.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I may have not been clear. Concern is tightened beyond the 10Nm, chance of shattering glass?

Note: edited for brevity, clarification.

[ October 02, 2002, 09:35: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member

Quit worrying.

And it is indeed weird you've got both styles on one car...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Scott,

I agree with JSG, quit worrying. (No offense JSG) do you trust the dealership to torque EVERY bolt they take on and off?

Just have the peace to know YOU tightened it. Keep in mind that the cables are spring loaded. It'd have to take a pretty serious jolt of your car to have the clips transfer the kind of force necessary to shatter that glass.

If it didn't shatter when you tightened it, I doubt very much any bumps, jolts or jarring things will transfer from your suspension to the glass. Look at it this way, your FRONT windshield(which is glued into place) would probably shatter before the side windows.

The clips are rubber cushioned in addition.

So, don't worry, be happy.

Lito

BTW, thanks for the rear bumper cover. Have you tried installing yours yet??

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI

NOTE: Message deleted for brevity to thread.

[ October 02, 2002, 09:32: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI

Here is my final
post on the subject of "How do you know the bolt correctly tightened?"

Bottm line: Learned that hand tightening bolt on window clip is fine. My hand tight was about 1 Nm, while the manual calls for 10 Nm. Also found out that between 1 Nm and 5 Nm the screw only turns about 45 degrees. So, it's tight enough when it "feels" tight enuf.

Also learned it's a good idea to duct tape the torx bit to the socket adaptor to the torque wrench so the bits don't fall into the door panel. A mirror on a stick and long claw will retrieve the bits.

NOTE: Message edited to delete lot's of un-necessary verbage.

[ October 02, 2002, 09:07: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Is it a huge extra step to replace the door lock assembly while changing the regulators?

My driver door lock won't lock (intermittent) with the remote anymore (altough the alarm comes on when I press the lock button). I figure my lock assembly is toast and will get a new one. Is it complicated install??

Thanks!!!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

It is not difficult to change the lock. The lock is held onto the window regulator by the black plastic piece with two plastic rivets.

This picture shows the black plastic lock support separated from the regulator. You can see the two rivet holes

You need to get a small torq screwdriver and push the rivet out from beind(or from the inside of the regulator OUT) That's how the rivets pop out.

The harder part is getting the rivets back IN once you reinstall the NEW lock.

Now, the only thing I don't know is...if the NEW lock will come with a NEW black plastic piece in which the rivets go. If it doesn't you'll need to drill out the pop rivet in the old one and reattach it to the new lock. YOu don't have to use a pop rivet but can replace it with a nut and bolt.

Good luck,

Lito

[ October 01, 2002, 19:41: Message edited by: tongsli ]

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI

oops

[ October 01, 2002, 20:55: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI

Originally posted by tongsli:
...don't know if the NEW lock will come with a NEW black plastic piece in which the rivets go. If it doesn't you'll need to drill out the pop rivet in the old one and reattach it to the new lock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Question: How critical is that black plastic piece with the two rivets fitting to the regulator panel?

Don't the dealers just remove that black plastic piece entirely so they don't have to remove the lock when replacing the regulator panel?

NOTE: Message edited for brevity.

[ October 02, 2002, 09:25: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Here's what I think the answer is (just so you know I do think before I write ) - that single rivet point is not critical and thus
needs no repair.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know if you can just get the plastic piece separate from the lock, so it may NOT be repairable

And, in fact that whole black plastic piece isn't needed.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, it's there so that the lock and regulator come out in one piece. If you recall, it was a real PAIN in the you know what to get Chad's lock back in and regulator aligned without it.

So, I wouldn't say it isn't needed. How many times do you plan on taking apart your door?? Hopefully, not many more times.

L

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI

it's there so lock and regulator come out in one piece...was a real PAIN to get Chad's lock back in and regulator aligned without it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Didn't realize re-install was difficult.

How many times do you plan on taking apart your door?? Hopefully, not many more times
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Once more?

Thanks...

[ October 02, 2002, 09:30: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Sorry to bring this thread (once more) from the dead, but i'm having issues here trying to figure out how to fully remove the door card.

I magically got all the "plastic clips of the door card" out without breaking one! Now I got all my harnesses out too, but I'm looking at the door-handle release cable: how do you onhook it from the door card? I can't figure it out! Please help

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Did you see my PDF's? It's explained in there.

You need to remove the lock or blank, depending upon which door.

There is a screw sitting behind a plastic cover in the jamb. That screw releases the lock or blank cover.

After the cover is open, the cable can be released from the door handle.

Look at the PDF's again.

Regulator Removal

Pages 7-11

L

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Did you see my PDF's? It's explained in there.

You need to remove the lock or blank, depending upon which door.

There is a screw sitting behind a plastic cover in the jamb. That screw releases the lock or blank cover.

After the cover is open, the cable can be released from the door handle.

Look at the PDF's again.

Regulator Removal

Pages 7-11
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, but I don't think I was clear enough. I meant for the _interior_ door handle: it's hooked up to the lock by a rubber duct & cable. How can I unhook it from the inner handle to free the door card? There seem to be a hook of some sort...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Ok,

Carefully lift up on the FRONT part of the black plastic piece, just behind the chrome hook. then you need to slide it backwards.

It's in a channel.

The two plastic fingers or hooks are holding it in place.

So,

1.carefully lift up on the hooks
2. pull the piece backwards until it's free of the "slot" that it sits inside.

Hope this helps,

L

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Thanks Lito!!!!!!!!!!

I got my clips in, and I resoldered my lock's connection (it had a intermittant problem)... So I killed two birds with one stone

It took me all friggen afternoon... darn. Now I could probably do the other side in about 3 hours.

I got two probs though... My window is really noisy getting down and my lock-pin sits actually lower than before. I don't really mind, I don't see the purpose of the door pins.

Thanks again

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

The fact that your lock pin sits lower is pretty common, I think. The place where the door panel joins the door right by the window may possibly be able to be pushed a bit further down with some elbow grease. This could level the lock pin a bit better. It's also possible that your door trim panel isn't quite all the way in well near the window, but if this were the case, you probably would have noticed problems getting the door clips back in place as well as the screws at the bottom.

I'm a bit concerned that you say your window is noisy. I don't think this should be the case. One point that should be made is that the runners the clips sit on should be greased before you put the door back together. Grease is good, and generally, I don't think VW uses enough in parts like the power windows or the sunroof.

HTH

-Brian

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Not only can you not over-do the amount, but it might make sense every couple of years to open them up and re-grease them.

Brian is right, they shouldn't be noisy. Can you describe what it sounds like?

L