Stealth TDI Still Kicking...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
The ATAS is REALLY picky and requires a fantastic ground. I used a 1-inch ground strap that runs from the trunk lid...

...and I ground the lid at the bottom of the child seat anchor...

Regarding the duplexer, it's standard-sized and not terribly-huge. I have two. Here's one, mounted to the left of the HF transceiver (blue label):

Scott

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
My education includes RF and my work experience includes radio installation and maintenance. I dabbled at first with getting my amateur radio licence, but I never bothered to write the exam. I was able to recite the ABCs in morse, but never copy. I played with 10m and 20m and hung around guys with 2m portable. Perhaps one of these days I'll do it... too much like work right now.

Lipton_Horse

TDI
I don't own :(
yosso said:
A link on google to your stealthtdi website turned me on to the VW TDI vehicles. Still have yet to purchase a TDI, but if I do, it's all your fault! :)

Keep up the excellent work.

Mike
Stealth & Yosso, I'm the same way...well kind of.

Background: I am sick of buying older cars that break down and I was looking around for cars that last longer. My girlfriend has always liked VW's, especially Jettas. She owned two with her last one being a 1998. Well, while cruising the net I hit your site and kept on reading. That is how I ended up here now and why I am looking/wanting to get a TDI.

So I guess your site really is a wonderful thing. BTW, the videos are awesome!!! I love the 3 wheeling!!! :)

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Are you still talking over 2 meter? maybe I could say hi to you via echolink, I got TS2000 in my Jetta with a ALS-500 and a side kick antenna.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Max,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I still monitor 2m. I wish my radio would just turn on when the car is on and then off when I stop. For the most part, I do not make it a point to turn on the radio every time I get into the car. But it is on any time I'm in the car alone for more than 30 minutes. I don't know much about EchoLink. But I'm not beyond learning more. ;) I'll PM this to you as well. But I also wanted to answer in public.

Take Care,

Scott

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Scott, no wonder I can't find any Castelletes to buy: You have them all. I hesitate to ask, but what turbo are you running these days? Greenskeeper has been talking about an upgrade and I didn't know what turbo finally ended up in your car.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Peter,

I haven't decided what I'm doing with all of the LeCastellets. The polished ones are tough to upkeep. My third set was REALLY tough to start polishing. I decided they didn't need to shine as much as I was hurting. So I painted them instead. They don't look too shabby:

Regarding the turbo, I still have the "Super 17" with which I am unimpressed. I will remove it as soon as I'm done with some intake work to include a second-hand Snow kit. The K03/K04 hybrid is the turbo that pleased me the most. However, I'm going to return to stock so I may return to FSP in my autocross events. I'm hoping the addition of the Snow kit with WATER-ONLY will minimize the difference between the stock turbo and the K03/K04. For those who don't recall, the turbo swap only gave me nine additional horsepower. Most of that was below 3500rpm and that also included using a BoostValve to up the boost from 17 to 21 psi (there's a dyno in post #48 above). My stock turbo at 20 psi with water injection may not be too bad. We'll see.

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The paint looks nice. Did you clear coat them? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

I am immensely pleased with my stock turbo in my A3 with the 2" downpipe. The exhaust cleaned up the smoke, allows me to run a lower IQ, and the car runs great. Although I'm' sure a bigger turbo would make it faster, it's such a pleasure to drive I really don't care about additional power. I think the only upgrade I'd be willing to do is a VNT-15. But the GT-15 feels almost as responsive as a VNT turbo. I'm just going to drive it.

Shoot me a PM if you decide to sell any of those wheels. I think they'd look great on the Passat.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
The paint looks nice. ...
But you should see the work he's put into those polished rims!:eek:

This is the first time I've stumbled across this thread. Loved the 10 year dedication film and the photos.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Awesome still. Love your car, makes me miss mine that much more. the A3s were special.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have a customer in Colorado with an A3 with 220K or so on it. He said he drove an A5 the other day and didn't understand why it felt so powerless. A well set-up A3 TDI is quick, even stock. Light weight, roomier inside than an A4, and a trunk that just doesn't quit.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

midntdi said:
What do you down in Newport and what did you do/do you do in the Navy?
I've been serving in the Coast Guard since 1986. I've been in Arlington for since 2006; but will transfer to Norfolk in 2009. My home and family have been in NPN since 2003. I work in electronics after nearly 20 years in the weapons field.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
I have a customer in Colorado with an A3 with 220K or so on it. He said he drove an A5 the other day and didn't understand why it felt so powerless. A well set-up A3 TDI is quick...
Yeah, I was disappointed with the A5 w/PD100. The CRD is better and smoother than my car... but not as fast. :) A tuned CRD will surely be a hoot; but I suspect my A3 will always be the better autocrosser.

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I've been rewiring the electonics suite and installed a Snow Performance water/meth system over the past two weeks. Here are a few photos:

New gauge panel...

W/M controller, sharing the console cubby with a ham radio microphone...

MORE PHOTOS HERE.

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hey,

I just installed an upper glovebox, standard in the 1994 Jetta/Golf. VW phased it out when passenger airbags became standard. My airbag's been disabled for my daughter anyway. So I opted to install additional storage. :cool: It went in smooth as butter once the airbag stuff was out:

The airbag is replaced by a 2-ohm resistor to keep the ECU happy. Airbag is in storage in case I opt to return to stock.

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Scott,

How did you get a glove box that matched your interior color so perfectly... and 15 years old to boot?

Great FLASH on the wheel rims. Like the transitional phases from race to stock rubber.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Brian,

BrianCT said:
How did you get a glove box that matched your interior color so perfectly... and 15 years old to boot?
Luck, I guess. The match is not perfect. But it's close enough. I just made sure the color codes were the same before I made my purchase. :cool: I still have no idea what I'm going to put into it. Snack drawer? :p

Scott

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Scott,
you have snow w/m?
peloquin?

tell us about it...

who did you installs?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

It's been a while since I've updated this topic. Plus, it looks like I've left a question or two unanswered. I've updated the top post to reflect another change in antennas. I was getting too much cross-talk between radios now that I'm operating on APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System). So now I'm running two antennas on the trunk (HF and VHF/UHF) and the second VHF/UHF antenna is on the front fender. The isolation appears to have resolved some issues although I no longer monitor 146.52 MHz full time.

I also reinstalled a PD lift pump after some experimentation with Walbro external lift pumps. Since I was already tinkering with the fuel, I added a four-pass fuel cooler while I was at it:

Regarding the Snow questions above, I do have the Snow system. I got it from AThreeTDI when his A3 was totaled quite some time ago. I installed the system myself and have it set up to inject 3-gph above 15 psi. I inject water-only during autocross events. I inject between 15-25% methanol otherwise. I winterize the system and turn it off during the winter.

Scott

Last edited:

Sayray24

TDI
1998 VW Jetta
Scott you are an inspiration to all of us A3 owners. i love your car and know exactly what i'm gonna do with mine when i get the time and money.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Scott you are the quintessential Tdi owner congrats on the ten year by the way.
Another 20 years and it might be time to upgrade.... maybe.
I love all the mods on your car they are quirky and weird.. only a tdi member can fully appreciate what your car is and what is has become.
I especially like the leatherman under the rear hatch think I will add that to my Jetta.
I have loved checking out your videos and write ups about your car...
Congrats!

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the notes, guys!

The car's over 12 years old with over 340,000 miles now. Other than rusty chips in the hood, I also have two spots of bubbled paint that need care. One is in the fuel filler (common) and the other is on a seam in the passenger door jamb. I'll probably sand them down and spot primer them just to keep the rust from spreading. Perhaps I'll find a "dentless paint wizard" who can touch up small spots with an airbrush.

The car's not quite the showcar it once was. But it's still a good looking ride, particularly for its age. I've backed off on the constant changes and/or improvements. My priorities have shifted in other directions. So I'm enjoying the car and just driving it every day. My new boss has a MINI Cooper S and likes to brag about his economy. His bubble burst when I told him what I'm getting, especially now that I'm using less AC. :cool:

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Look what I found during a little house cleaning:

The TDI's were inexpensive back then. :) Then again, my car's short of luxuries. :eek:

Scott