A tale of two wabbits...and a question

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
OK. So I have decided what to do regarding the buyback and my 2010 MKVI Golf TDI that has served me well for the last 125,000 mikes. The decision was to go with a newer MKVI Golf 2.5L. I made this decision because I don't want to pay for the timing belt replacement and the car is just starting to really show her age. I drove it to Alaska from Los Angeles (3800 mi) through 3 blizzards and she was a champ. I had it up there for 2 years and drove back at the beginning of this year. I love this car though but it just makes sense to sell it back.
So I decided to find a MKVI 2.5L with low miles and swap all the parts I love about the TDI to the 2.5L and visa versa before selling the car back. It will be a base model TDI and a TDI trim 2.5L. So I just happened to find a 2.5L a couple years newer with 50K that is my exact same car just a gasser. It has a dent in the front driver door and on the hatch but otherwise it's mint. I am goint to swap the door and hatch as those are the only two things that are mint on my TDI. I am also going to swap out the fog lamps, stereo, steering wheel, gear shift knob and rims and tires. So my only real dilemma is whether to swap the suspension. I put new struts and mounts front an back about 30k ago and the TDI is supposed to have "Sport suspension" vs the basic 2.5L; However from what I can tell via the specs they are really close to being the same and with the lighter engine may be so similar it is not worth the swap. I did the suspension myself before so I know what is involved but to do all 4 twice will be a real PITA.
So my question is is it worth the effort. I will say as it rides now the two are night and day, but that could be the bald tires and 15" steelies on the 2.5L more than anything. I am going to swap the wheels tomorrow and see what difference it makes but any feedback would be much appreciated.
Please don't hate on me for getting rid of the tdi. I will likely come back to the fold as this was my second VW diesel and I love the TDI's but want to see where things go after the dust settles with VW and between the HPFP issue and the Turbo (blew the turbo in Alaska and it was $5K to replace). The mechanic thought the dealership put in the wrong oil at oil change and caused it to go. It blew 15 miles away on the way home from the oil change the day before I was driving back down to SD. Turbos they be fickle. So bottom like I am just looking for solid cheap reliable transportation for a little while....and this way I recoup my $5K turbo and keep the settlement money. At least it will look like a TDI.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Mk6 TDI suspension felt tonnes better than the Mk6 2.5 that I test drove. Both had 16 inch alloy wheels on them. And the dealership does put the wrong oil in these cars, occasionally.

Here's an idea: swap the engines, too.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
Hahaha. I wonder if they would even notice right off if you did swap engines. Well I swapped wheels and the TDI is definitely lower and the suspension is absolutely stiffer. But I didn't notice a huge difference. And given the amount of work to swap I am better off just upgrading the suspension altogether. The TDI is definitely more fun to drive no question about it. Funny side note. The two cars are the same color and look identical during the day, but at night they look completely different. The TDI looks dark grey while the 2.5L looks almost silver. I think my next diesel is going to be a rabbit pickup. I had a diesel rabbit when I was in college and it was one of my favorite cars.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
I thought I would post the final product after my pre buyback TDI trim swap the the 2.5L. I did all the below mods to the new(er) 2.5L for still less than the buyback price. Plus's the car has only 70K miles as opposed to the 130K my tdi had at buyback.

I opted to not swap suspension from the TDI and instead swapped the full suspension from a gti. I figured if I am going to do the work I might as well upgrade. Also opted for the gti steering wheel. Everything else was taken from the TDI. In the end I swapped..

TDI Rims plus Conti DW's
Stereo
Bluetooth
Fog lamps
Console
Ebrake handle
Stick shift knob
Chrome exhaust tips
EuroSwitch
tdiClub license plate frame

Then upgraded to....

gti steering wheel
gti front and rear sway bars and struts (w/ TT mounts)
gti battery box
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold
Integrated Engineering Valve Cover
Integrated Engineering Fuel Rail
Integrated Engineering Stage 2 Tune
Integrated Engineering Valve Springs
APR Catch Can
All interior lights swapped to LED
SS clutch line
ECS bling spot mirrors
Tinted windows
Upgraded the Thule rack

In the end....

My friends and family didn't even realize I changed cars. They all said "Hey you got a new rack!"

It's only evident when you pop the hood. Hey that's not a diesel. Nope and doesn't sound like one either.

I do miss the gas mileage though. I lost about 10 mpg combined.

Last edited: