Cetane ratings question

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
I was driving by a local Southern States station an I seen a sign by the pumps advertising 50 cetane they are selling. I have never seen anything over 40 before. I have a 2015 golf SE TDI. Is this something I can put in this engine? Or should l stay away?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
The higher the cetane the better. Higher cetane is good for diesels but whats most important is getting fuel from a station that has high fuel turnover rate meaning it always has fresh fuel. Yes truck stops sell cheaper 40 cetane diesel but it is usually the freshest due to big trucks using more. Just make sure your fuel station sees alot of diesel customers and ur car will be fine.

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
This is at SS stations in my area. They said it was premium diesel. I have not seen anything like this. Is it worth putting in my tank?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Almost no one sells 40 cetane. 40 is the minimum and I would guess no one sells fuel at the rock bottom minimum. 50 is the Euro standard IIRC. But the cars here run just fine on pump fuel. Higher cetane has diminishing returns at some point vs cost. If your car runs fine on regular pump diesel, run it. If you don't mind paying the extra cost of "premium" diesel or cetane additive then use it. I have tried additives in the past and saw no noticeable improvement. So I don't use any. I do buy fuel that has a bio component to it for lubricity purposes, but almost all pumps here have that. Cold weather is the one use for additives that I think is really needed. But being that I live in Texas not really a factor for me.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
I have used the SS 50 diesel in Westminster quite a bit for over a year and I think my TDIs perform better with it. The price is competitive to regular D2 and their fuel turnover (freshness) is good. They get a number of local big rigs and larger commercial vehicles during the day that frequent there.

Last edited:

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
I stopped by the SS in Westminster and filled up yesterday. $2.96 gal. Now let's see if it is any better or worse , time will tell. Thanks for all of the input.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What was the cost of regular diesel? Be careful of the placebo effect. Hard to accurately tell when you know if it is or isn't being used.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
the local marathon has regular diesel for $2.93. 50 cetane is hard to find around here, but to each their own.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Almost no one sells 40 cetane. 40 is the minimum and I would guess no one sells fuel at the rock bottom minimum. 50 is the Euro standard IIRC. But the cars here run just fine on pump fuel. Higher cetane has diminishing returns at some point vs cost. If your car runs fine on regular pump diesel, run it. If you don't mind paying the extra cost of "premium" diesel or cetane additive then use it. I have tried additives in the past and saw no noticeable improvement. So I don't use any. I do buy fuel that has a bio component to it for lubricity purposes, but almost all pumps here have that. Cold weather is the one use for additives that I think is really needed. But being that I live in Texas not really a factor for me.
Here in the Northeast, I don't think I've ever seen anything other than 40 cetane fuel..

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
Well I have filled up 3 times and I do see an increase in mileage. And it is the same price as the other stations that have 40 cetane listed on their pumps. Will stick with SS for now...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW

suchshutterfly

TDI
2000 VW Golf GLS TDI
I will. There's nothing to lose, as it's the same price as other stations nearby.
That's almost a shame! This time last year it was a full 10-20 cents cheaper than the Shell down the street. That was actually how I found it - I was going north and turned left to go into the Shell but missed their turn. I went further down the street to bust a u and there was SS.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's almost a shame! This time last year it was a full 10-20 cents cheaper than the Shell down the street. That was actually how I found it - I was going north and turned left to go into the Shell but missed their turn. I went further down the street to bust a u and there was SS.
That Shell station is run questionably. I have filled there a few times and always get the sense I’m getting less fuel than the pump reads. The inspection stickers are there, but it’s still a head scratcher.

I have a Shell Fuel Rewards club card, so I try to fill at the Shell on the other side of my commute on Kent Island MD.

Last edited:

suchshutterfly

TDI
2000 VW Golf GLS TDI
That Shell station is run questionably. I have filled there a few times and always get the sense I’m getting less fuel than the pump reads. The inspection stickers are there, but it’s still a head scratcher.
I only filled up there once, and haven't been back to Delmarva in almost a year. I guess this would be a good heads up for anyone else in the region. Besides, why go to the Shell when 50 cetane is 1/2mi down the street?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I only filled up there once, and haven't been back to Delmarva in almost a year. I guess this would be a good heads up for anyone else in the region. Besides, why go to the Shell when 50 cetane is 1/2mi down the street?

No doubt. I'm looking forward to trying it. I have gotten SS fuel in previous TDIs, but I'm really interested to try it in the Mk7.

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
I am glad I found it. I have one in Westminster and one in Frederick. I did find one in Leesburg, va but they do not have pumps. Bulk delivery only. Post what you think it does for you.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Here in the Northeast, I don't think I've ever seen anything other than 40 cetane fuel..
40 cetane is the posted minimum and is what you will commonly see on the pump and if questions that's what they will tell you but not exactly what the fuel actually is. Look at the Infinium fuel winter guide and you will see that cetane is all over the place. Just because it says 40 doesn't mean it is 40 exactly.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
Anyone know of places that have premium diesel in MN? North of the metro preferred.