Garrett VNT-14 pictures

Upon recommendation of Valois and others I post this message again under its own topic.

Just in case somebody is interested: I have recently bought a used Garrett VNT15 turbo and found the NGV actuating gear to be stuck. I then performed a thorough cleaning job and took lots of pictures. Though this turbo won't be used in a car (at least not yet), the pictures might give a good point of what to expect when cleaning a turbo. Have a look at http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html .

Regards,
Thomas

Audi A3 TDI

P.S. For cleaning of the internal parts I used:
Old toothbrush (dry) for removing loose soot (do this outside, very dirty).
Water and household cleaner with toothbrush for turbine housing and NGV components.
Trichlorethane (or similar) and cloth wrapped around match or wooden stick for cleaning compressor and turbine wheels.
Don't lubricate any of the NGV parts, the lubricant will coke and seize all the moving components!

S

SkyPup

Excellent post there, Thomas!
Thank you very much. I printed out your great photography to save this in my files, I appreciate it alot.

PWM

Veteran Member
Hi !!

The VNT-tweak was to shorten the rod from vacuum-actuator..
How about loosing the limiting screw - Ie. letting those vanes close more !?!

It seems to me that this would spool up the turbine at even lower RPMs..

(Sould this be in the performance-forum
)

S

SkyPup

I think this should be acrchived so we don't lose these pics, GoFaster, can you handle that?