Where to get a Luk Clutch?

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations on where to get a great deal on a Luk clutch. I need factory pedal effort, but also have a chipped car and the Luk seems the way to go. I've checked the major venders I am familiar with, dieselgeek and ecs tuning and dieselgeek has the g60/vr6 clutch and ecs has a kit that seems like a good deal at $399 including flywheel but it uses a sachs based disk which, as I understand it, will not handle diesel torque. Can anybody recommend a vender that is tdi friendly and offers a great deal on a clutch kit?

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
Thanks, but all I see is a "race" clutch that looks like a special disk on a G60 flywheel and another street kit that has a VR6 clutch on a G60 flywheel. I thought the consensus was that these clutches don't hold up over time and that the Luk was a better choice?

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
Hi,
When I did my 6-speed install I had a good experience with

www.CarolinaClutch.com
1900 Remount Road
Charlotte, NC 28208
Phone 888-462-2739
POC: Tom

They matched the price from dial a clutch w/ "clutch disc, pressure plate, hydraulic release bearing, and clutch alignment tool" ....I couldn't find the 240mm in stock anywhere. Tom called Luk and had them build a clutch kit for me in two days. The price for the 240mm kit was $232; don't know what the 228mm standard TDI clutch would cost. A quick call from you would answer that question.

cheers,
andrew

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
I called Carolina and they have it, but it's 595.00. Is that expensive normally? I can get other upgraded G60 based kits for around $400. Is the difference that the kit includes the expensive DMF? Should I reconsider a G60 based setup? I think that's why I have now. The noise doesn't bother me that much it's just the the increased pedal effort is bothering a sore knee and the fact that it's already shot after 40k. Of course, the po may have really flogged it, I don't know.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I am still working on some things but the holiday caused a delay in reaching the various companies.

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
I don't mind waiting on you, if you think you might have some answers soon. I'd just assume give the business to a tdi member, I just need to do this clutch relatively quickly.

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
Wow, that price from Carolina Clutch seems really high. Does that include a new dual mass flywheel as well as the clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing? Do you really need a new flywheel? Might be worth calling them again for the price without the DMF.

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
Yes, that price includes everything including the DMF. I'm assuming I need one because the previous owner put an upgraded clutch in my car along with a lightened flywheel. I would think that a lightened flywheel would be a SMF. If I was going to keep the SMF, I could probably just do a clutch replacement which would be cheap, but I'm trying to get back to something where the clutch effort is at the stock level or less.

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
If you already have a lightweight flywheel and VR6 clutch you might just wanna get another VR6 clutch. You've got 50% of the parts already on there. I'm sure you could find a clutch that will hold your power with minimal effort. I'd be willing to bet the ACT VR1-HDOO kit would work well for you. Or maybee the SPEC SV361(VR6 stage 1).

--Matt

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
Hmm. If your oem Sachs is lighter than an oem, I might just try that. It would be much cheaper and I could probably keep my flywheel. Is your car stock? I'm just wondering if it can handle my torque.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I have .205's and RC2/3.
It sounds like you're not sure which flywheel you have.
Can you ask the previous owner what the setup is?

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
I'm going to dig out the receipt and then call the place and ask. I don't know that he would know exactly what part it is. I do know that it's a lightened flywheel and it does rattle around if you have the car in neutral with clutch engaged like folks say the G60/SMF kit does. The pedal is definitely firmer than the 2005 I drove over the weekend.

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
If the OEM VR6 clutch has a light feel, I might just try that kit from impex that is on sale that includes a new flywheel. Typically I would enjoy a lightened flywheel, but in the case of the tdi the sychros are fairly worn asnd you can't always shift quickly enough to really make use of a lightened flywheel. Out of curiosity is your VR6 clutch using a factory weight flywheel or a lighter one?

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I got a used flywheel from a junkyard. Not lightened.

Somehow, you should find out what you have in there before you make your move, in my opinion.

You have heard that the VR6 clutch setup rattles a little at idle with the clutch pedal up? It doesn't bother me.

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
I agree, I will find out what's in there I was just curious since you seem happy with your setup. It would save quite a few $$$ to not get another flywheel.

sclough

TDI
2000 Jetta Silver
Thanks for the offer, but just because I don't really trust what was done in there, I'm probably going to replace everything and use a kit that includes flywheel.