Problem with door light in dash

rossetti

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
Here is my problem i got a light ao my dash that door is open i took door apart and put another door lock actuator pluged it in closed it and light still stays on ,i did check the wires and dont see any wire that are split ,what else can be the problem.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I think I had the same thing. The car always thought the door was open. So annoying. I found a real half ass fix for it... remove the puddle light bulb from the door. Done. Problem went away for me. Probably not what you wanna hear. But it could help someone in the future

rossetti

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
No not good, light on drivers door dont light up ,its in the dash that it says door is open, even if door is closed,and that causes the car not to start with my car starter.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Where did you get the replacement module?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got from guy that sell parts for wv.
Well, I suppose that's better than getting the part from the Gal that sells VW parts!:rolleyes:

Let me try again...

Who is the manufacturer of that door control module?

Do NOT assume that a new part is good!

Did you scan for codes before ripping into this?

rossetti

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
its a used but from vw and no i did not scan codes .dealer said 99.9 percent its the lock actuator that is no good .

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its a used but from vw and no i did not scan codes .dealer said 99.9 percent its the lock actuator that is no good .
One rule I go by is that if there's a lot of labor involved in R&R'ing something I won't go cheap with parts. Going cheap can provide one with a lot of practice though.

If I sold either of my green Golfs and someone parted them out and sold either driver's rear door control module and a person ended up buying one they'd end up with a BAD door control module. And if you think that front door control modules are a pain to R&R just wait until you do a rear one! Unless I left a note inside the door or taped on the module how would any future parts-puller know that the module was any good.

Folks down here in the US have some good options, but such outlets would likely be non-viable for folks up in Canada, due to shipping costs. There's a thread on how to repair these door control modules. Perhaps you can go that route?

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
No not good, light on drivers door dont light up ,its in the dash that it says door is open, even if door is closed,and that causes the car not to start with my car starter.
I know. Mine did that too. Try removing that bulb regardless and see if it fixes it. Did for me

rossetti

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
another thing i can lock and unlock door with remote ,its just the light still stays on.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Door light

I just went thru a headache on my MK5 (I realize yours is a MK4) where my dash light (open door) would come on intermittently. I had a new door harness and a new lock module and still had the issue (I had multiple issues - some were fixed with these repairs) The light on the dash seems to have been fixed by replacing the window motor. On the MK5's, there is a control module for the door built into the window motor. I grabbed one from the self service wrecking yard, swapped and so far, the issue has been resolved.

(I was able to diagnose this part, in my circumstance, by having the door panel off. The light came on the dash and I applied some "percussive maintenance" to the window motor - control module. The light went off the dash. This happened a few time for me prior to dropping the $20.00 for a boneyard part.)

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
OP, you need to have a VCDS scan to know just where the problem lies.
Do the interior lights go OFF when the doors are closed?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Stop throwing used parts at it, get a scan tool and monitor some inputs to see what the heck is going on with the modules.

Door latch failures (microswitches) are VERY common. Door modules (integral with the window motor) are less common, but can happen. Usually see that on the newer cars though.