TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
2015 328Xd, mineral grey ( uses very small blue, green, red, gold etc metal flake in the paint...need direct sun light to see), Dakota red leather interior, dual Pano's, black piano wood, techno., light, front appearance, upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo, wheel and sport packages.
Graduated from one of the first JSW Tdi's in SoCal in August 2008. Traded my 996C4 cabriolet for a 2007 Jetta Tdi, drove a 2003 Passat Tdi for a few weeks in Europe all over.
1994 6.5 turbo 3/4 ton 4wd Suburban with wood/leather packages, 1984 3/4 ton, 4WD raised Suburban with the 6.2 liter Diesel, a 1982 rabbit pickup and a 1981 rabbit with the little diesels..........
I'm hanging here.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
What is the best forum for the BMW 335D diesels? I'm trying to track down problems with EGR circuit failures and HP turbo underboost. I posted to bimmerpost.com forums, but there isn't much action besides a half-dozen active posters, and very little diagnostic suggestions or help :( And the layout is horrible and unsearchable, basically--no moderator staff, it seems.

The nearest BMW repair shop is 2+ hours drive, so i really need to narrow this down or face being without a car for god knows how long while it's being diagnosed.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
What is the best forum for the BMW 335D diesels? I'm trying to track down problems with EGR circuit failures and HP turbo underboost. I posted to bimmerpost.com forums, but there isn't much action besides a half-dozen active posters, and very little diagnostic suggestions or help :( And the layout is horrible and unsearchable, basically--no moderator staff, it seems.

The nearest BMW repair shop is 2+ hours drive, so i really need to narrow this down or face being without a car for god knows how long while it's being diagnosed.

I can do my best to help you, not many more versed with these than me. Taking it to a bmw repair shop won't help you with that car unfortunately.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I can do my best to help you, not many more versed with these than me. Taking it to a bmw repair shop won't help you with that car unfortunately.
Thanks!

Reposted from bimmerpost here: said:
Okay, I've had a change of venue with the car:

History:

I just bought this car last month in Phoenix. It has 125,000 miles. I'm working in MS, so hadn't been able to drive it myself until last weekend (wife had parked and stored it until I came home). We hadn't planned on my bringing it out to MS, but my other car died, so I drove it out here.

On the trip out here, the car performed seemingly pretty well. 1544 miles, averaging 83 mph (hours on end at 101 mph) yielded 29.8 mpg, which seems well in line with expectations given my high rate of speed. Also, I took it to a dash up to 145 mph and it was still pulling quite strong. Probably would top out just over 150 mph.

But once I got it to the MS Delta, I started doing some test driving, suspecting week low end torque:

From reading around threads here, I'd thought my small turbo wasn't spooling because when I ran Torque Pro, it was showing boost < 5 psi under 2500 RPM's. Also, the car's shift behavior was such that it either ran < 2200 rpm's or > 2700 rpm's. It never operated in the mid-range (I think I know why now--must have been due to DDE adaptations learning from prior driver).

So last week, I went for highway drives and forced the car to accelerate in Manual-Sport mode through 2000-3500 RPM range. Last night, the car kept going into limp mode right at 2500 RPM's. The car would say "Engine malfunction: car is in reduced power. See BMW service," and would then operate with 0.0 psi boost for about 2-5 minutes. The limp mode would self-clear and boost/power would restore.

However, I was able by accelerating from 1400-2400 RPM's to get the small turbo to make 10-11 psi by exercising it (I'm dying to do a true Italian tune-up, but don't have any steep roads around in the MS Delta.)

FAULT CODES POSTED BY TORQUE PRO are:

P0299 High pressure turbocharger underboost
P0403 EGR
P2457 EGR

Mode $06 report generated by Torque for Android
================================================
Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present
Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$e1
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 3S Min: 0S
Test result value: 0.1S
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$e2
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 3S Min: 0S
Test result value: 0.3S
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$e3
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 5S Min: 0S
Test result value: 0.5S
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$e4
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 23.89869% Min: 17.89845%
Test result value: 20.44993%
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$e5
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 14.06362% Min: 3.06421%
Test result value: 9.73741%
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$b1
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 6.5S Min: 0S
Test result value: 0.2S
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$b2
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 9S Min: 0S
Test result value: 2.5S
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$b3
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 30 Min: -32,768
Test result value: 8
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$b4
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 32,767 Min: -30
Test result value: 8
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$b5
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 1.99958 Min: -9.99424
Test result value: -0.39741
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$b6
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 9.99393 Min: -0.74969
Test result value: -0.39741
PASS
----
MID:$03 TID:$c1
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 3
Max: 22.49934% Min: 15.49958%
Test result value: 20.33548%
PASS
----
MID:$03 TID:$c2
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 3
Max: 30 Min: -32,768
Test result value: 0
PASS
----
MID:$03 TID:$c3
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 3
Max: 32,767 Min: -30
Test result value: 0
PASS
----
MID:$03 TID:$c4
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 3
Max: 32,767 Min: 3
Test result value: 683
PASS
----
MID:$21 TID:$f2
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
Max: 1.99882 Min: 0.34996
Test result value: 0.99991
PASS
----
MID:$31 TID:$81
- EGR Monitor Bank 1
Max: 10 Min: 0
Test result value: 0.07
PASS
----
MID:$31 TID:$82
- EGR Monitor Bank 1
Max: 10 Min: 0
Test result value: 0.32
PASS
----
MID:$31 TID:$83
- EGR Monitor Bank 1
Max: 3,276.69995°C Min: 5°C
Test result value: 0.5°C
FAIL

----
End of report.

And today I checked under the plastic engine cover: looks like ALL the vacuum lines are ancient, possibly original lines.

So this would explain the low power (small turbo underboosting, so car simply shifts up to higher rpm, making large, slow spooling turbo do all the work.) I don't think either turbo is seized. The small turbo WILL make boost when forced to.

Question 1: 2500 RPM's is the switchover point from small to large turbo, right?

Question 1: what is the most likely culprit? Vacuum leak/s, faulty changeover valve, more?

Question 2: what is the valve/s or actuators most likely at suspect?

Last edited:

BuzzKen

TDI
Have the vacuum lines all been done yet? Walnut blasting? Lower passenger side intercooler hose is dry? Soot in exhaust tips? Do you plan to 'try' to keep this car emissions compliant?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Have the vacuum lines all been done yet?
Not yet. That's first order of business I guess.
Walnut blasting?
I don't know. I had the car pre-purchase inspected by a shop in Phoenix and they said CBU was thought minimal.
Lower passenger side intercooler hose is dry?
Have not checked yet.
Soot in exhaust tips?
Very light. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Do you plan to 'try' to keep this car emissions compliant?
Yes! I don't want to dump $3.5k into deleting emissions stuff.
I want to install water/methanol to keep CBU at bay, but I thought it should wait until resolving these issues?
message inside quote.

BuzzKen

TDI
Get vacuum lines done. You can see the carbon buildup for yourself as the intake will be off. Show tips pics. If you think spending $3.5K on deletes is bad, brace yourself for trying to keep it operating. The reason most people do it on these cars is a cost savings.

BuzzKen

TDI
dpf looks to be in one piece still. Definitely all vacuum lines are first up and you can see how bad the intake is when it's off.

cardinalflyer

TDI
2014 SportsWagon
New BMW - 328D XDrive

When the TDI buyback started firming up, and my 2014 TDI Sportswagon (purchased new June 2014) days became numbered, and VW announced no 2017 TDIs as they were getting out of the market, I started looking for other turbo diesels. We still have the wife's 1995 Cabrio and my son is driving my 2004 Sportswagon, so I would have stayed VW given a chance. My first car was a nice '71 used VW 411 or 412 (long time ago, was there much difference besides highlight shape?) 4 door rear engine flat four with fuel injection that was a blast to drive until it fatally broke (something holding the rear axle separated from the frame in front of it and let the right wheel axle move backwards, too rusted to fix), then a '67 beetle for several years until the electrical system crapped out one too many times; then a bunch of cars for a while - a used Ford Fairline that I got tired of fixing after college, a new '86 small Dodge pickup (Mitsubishi re-brand I believe), a used Subara Legacy wagon that was run into and then burned up overnight (battery shorted out and caught fire apparently), a new '92 Dodge Dakota crew cab until high gas prices drove me to better mileage and into the 2004 Sportswagon with full size spare, big enough interior to hold 4 plus hockey bags, or 3 + skis, and 30+ MPG all the time. Much nicer handling than the American small wagons available at the time, and their dinky spare donuts. I drove that car until we needed a 3rd car with my son working as a college summer intern and everyone going in different directions in the morning, and I picked up the 2014 Sportswagon. So a 3 VW family for the last several years.

BMW looked to be the only credible player in the small wagon with turbodiesel this summer, so I looked there . My local (7 miles away) BMW dealer had just put a tricked out demo on sale, 6 months old and 5K miles, assistant manager using it to drive to/from work allegedly. My son & I test drove it, and then I bought it! It's got the works - everything but heated steering wheel and leather interior. Would have been another $12K to buy new with leather and all the features it has. I can live with the Sensetech, looks enough like leather to get by.

So, 4 months later, I'm finally turning in the 2014 on Wednesday 12/28, and using that to pay off a big chunk of the 5 yr 0.9% interest loan I signed to drive the BMW off the lot, no money down. Sweet drive - the car really likes going 90 MPH and gets there so easily and drives so smoothly. Very quiet too, much quieter than the VWs. Engine hardly makes any noise, purring along at 1400 RPM, the 8-speed transmission very smooth changing gears. Has paddle shifters too and manual transmission mode, but the paddles always seem at odd with my hand position when I' maneuvering, and there's no clutch so it feels like an automatic, so I just drive it in automode and let it do the shifting.

Driving 20 miles to work daily, seeing 40-45MPG driving 45MPH on backroads and side roads and only 2 stop lights and no school busses when I leave at the right time, very similar to what the VW was getting. 40 more HP and and just 100 pounds more curb weight, it seems the 2L turbo performs well for both cars.

Car uses Blue Def, apparently has a big enough tank to last for each 10K mile oil change, and dealer says to stop in if light for it ever goes off and they'll fill it for me.

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were crap in the snow the one storm we had so far, even with the Xdrive, I looked up their snow/ice ratings and they are terrible. Just ordered some Goodyear Winter Ultra Grip tires at Town Fair Tire, will have them put on Friday before the next storm.

My only gripe - the car is Jet Black and looks dirty all the time! Especially now with the roads being treated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Pulled the trigger on this one today:

2011, 49K miles, base version with no nav.
Here it is getting a pre-purchase inspection at Kraftwerke:

It needed tires, and I convinced the dealer to put on non-runflat snows on the stock wheels. The wheels are curbed a bit so I'll look for some better ones for summer tires. They also replaced the adblue tank. I'll probably pick it up later this week or early next.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
ALHs are going nowhere. After the test drive I had to smile when I got in my wagon to drive home, thinking it has 300K more miles on it than the 335d.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Congrats! Gorgeous car! I think the downside to adding the 335d to your stable is that it may be hard to go back to an ALH once you get used to that torque. The 3L turbodiesels are an addiction. Consider me addicted. Hope it serves you well! I agree with the runflat issue. Right now I have Michelin Ice-X3, 17 inch wheels. I like them better than the 18 inch Conti Runflats that came with my 535d.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This car has 17s, too. I think I'll stick with 17s. Seems odd to me that it takes the same size tires as A platform VWs.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
You're going to love that car Peter. I sure love mine. I decided to buy my 2011 335d after getting my wife an x5 35d and the power to weight difference between the two is amazing. The x5 pulls well but the 335d is an absolute rocket.

My 335d will be sporting over 330hp and 540 lb ft when I get the upgrades done over the weekend. Mine just clicked over 60k miles.

Congrats :)

DIRTYMOFO

TDI
mTDi in rabbit truck (r.i.p.), 2005 passat wagon tdi, bmw 335d
335d owner

Well its been a long time since i've been on this forum. When I had my vw rabbit pickup with a 1z swap. But since 3 years ago I've had my 335d and I've did a lot in the last six months to it.

-water meth kit
-bpc down pipe
-bpc stage 2.5
-manzo 335i stainless exhaust
-forged boost hose
-high flow drop-in filter
-e90 air scoops
-stepped intercooler
-staggered 19' wheels
-H&R sport springs

And i'm on e90post.com as (32valves)

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (Mickey)-RIP | 2011 335d-RIP | 2010 Jetta TDI (Merlin)-Returned to VW | 2001 Jetta TDI (The German)-SOLD
Well, I guess I'm in the club now, too. Picked up a 2011 335d a few weeks ago. Just clicked over 114k mi. Curious if anyone here has done a swirl flap delete? I've been reading around on e90post and see a lot of discussion from guys across the pond on both sides of the argument. I'm wondering if very many guys stateside have dealt with this or have heard of anyone who's experienced a failure. Also curious of any other preventative maintenance I should prioritize?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Ya, I want a 335d, in Alpine White and red or dark brown interior, sports package.

Then I will do the dpf delete in the ecu myself, and tune it for some power.

That or the newer 328d.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Well, I guess I'm in the club now, too. Picked up a 2011 335d a few weeks ago. Just clicked over 114k mi. Curious if anyone here has done a swirl flap delete? I've been reading around on e90post and see a lot of discussion from guys across the pond on both sides of the argument. I'm wondering if very many guys stateside have dealt with this or have heard of anyone who's experienced a failure. Also curious of any other preventative maintenance I should prioritize?
No need to delete swirl flaps, they have been redesigned and never were a problem in the US market. You need to budget for deletes and tune or save a wad of cash for when your Urea system fails - ask me how I know...;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My car comes with a new DEF tank system. Since the previous (second) owner had the car for less than a year I wonder if that tipped him or her into selling it.

I was supposed to pick the car up yesterday, but the dealer didn't realize my insurance agent is old school and closed on Saturdays. They're delivering it Monday. Snows are on, car looks nice. I'm debating about Sport size staggered 18s versus non-sport 17s for summer tires.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Wondering what the asking price vs actual selling price is for the 335D?
Know it makes a difference how loaded the car is.

Also wonder about how comfortable the 335D is for a couple of "large" people. Can not be too bad, my sister has been driving a 3 series since 1991.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The dealer I bought mine from was has a "no haggle" pricing structure. Car included a new DEF tank, new tires that I choose, alignment, and a couple other minor repairs. Interior is immaculate, exterior is excellent, only one scuff on the rear bumper. Car is clean underneath. Dealer maintained since new.

I considered trying to negotiate, but I don't think it would have worked, and the price seemed reasonable compared to other cars I saw. It's equipped exactly as I would want if I were buying new, including the colors. And I couldn't find another one with under 50K miles on it. So I'm happy.

Most similar cars on Autotrader, usually with 60-90K on them, are $16-18K. Don't know what they actually sell for. I paid less than that. :)

Last edited:

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Indigo, congrats on the ride. 2011's are nice cars and with only 45k on it, it's a baby. 425 ft-lbs will always put a smile on your face! I just passed my 190k '09 335d on to another to enjoy for another 100-200k, after almost 8-years of absolutely trouble-free ultimate driving, sliding into "older guy" mode and a '16 GLE 350d. Enjoy the Big-6!

Cheers
D.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Peter, congrats on your purchase! :)

I'm only at 149k miles on my 2012 X5 35d and it's running well. I drove it off the lot in 2014 with 52k miles on it after the first owner threw a perfectly good car away by trading it in as soon as the original factory warranty and free maintenance ended. Worked out good for me as a CPO car and I'm into it for the long haul.

My 2014 535d is at 85k miles and it has started to act up a bit. It recently started throwing intermittent EGR related codes and an intermittent code for the DEF tank heater and/or the heated line from the DEF tank to the SCR system. Driveability is not impaired and power and MPGs are where they should be but it's becoming a code generating machine. It's also throwing BMW-specific codes for camera malfunctions even though all cameras work fine. It's due for scheduled maintenance soon and my BMW dealer (Tulley BMW, Nashua, NH) will be taking a look at it.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Like having VCDS for VW Group cars, if you own a BMW you should consider getting some BMW-specific software and OBD-II cables.

Rheingold ISTA/D (diagnostics) and ISTA/P (programming):
http://rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.php/buy-now
I recommend getting ISTA/D and ISTA/P.

Bavarian Technic:
www.bavariantechnic.com

VCDS:
www.ross-tech.com
VCDS can be used to communicate with BMWs in Generic OBD-II mode. VCDS functions as a generic code scanner in Generic OBD-II mode and you can read and clear standard OBD-II codes and also look at some live data and readiness monitors. VCDS cannot read any BMW-specific codes or look at anything other than the DDE (Diesel Digital Electronics in BMW-speak). Generic OBD-II mode is only guaranteed to work on VW Group cars but it doesn't hurt to try it and see if it works. I have successfully used VCDS in Generic OBD-II mode on my 535d and X5 35d. It should work on a 335d.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Finding a well maintained low miles car equipped as you want it is well worth paying a premium for. The fact that you got it for a fair price is really amazing. No wonder you jumped on it. I don't think you could get an off lease Camry with 45K miles for 15K here in California. So getting a 45k BMW in that same price range is really special.

Enjoy the car for a long time.

The dealer I bought mine from was has a "no haggle" pricing structure. Car included a new DEF tank, new tires that I choose, alignment, and a couple other minor repairs. Interior is immaculate, exterior is excellent, only one scuff on the rear bumper. Car is clean underneath. Dealer maintained since new.

I considered trying to negotiate, but I don't think it would have worked, and the price seemed reasonable compared to other cars I saw. It's equipped exactly as I would want if I were buying new, including the colors. And I couldn't find another one with under 50K miles on it. So I'm happy.

Most similar cars on Autotrader, usually with 60-90K on them, are $16-18K. Don't know what they actually sell for. I paid less than that. :)