Who has Diesel cans at home?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I drive about 35,000km/yr with my Jetta TDI. I've started filling a 20L yellow can of diesel when I fill up at Cdn Tire (10c off with Options MasterCard).

I can stretch my trips out to the gas station to about 7 days or so during the winter months.... CT gas bar with diesel is about 15km away in town.

I got the fuel can at TSC, it actually pours really easily with no spill.

My wife's q7 has the anti petroleum device in the fillerneck, so I don't often fill hers from a can.

I am thinking about maybe getting a 2nd can if they go on sale again....

Only thing, is sometimes it makes calculations hard, as I try to keep track of the fuel/mileage with pen and paper in a notepad in the glovebox.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I think that just over complicates things... Just stop by a fuel station and put some diesel in... I'm all for discounts and convinience and I'll drive to a gas station near me for cheaper fuel if Im not doing anything, but I don't bother wasting my time if it's out of the way and I have other things to do... You're really not saving all that much... Drive more worry less

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
even if it is 15 km away, you can easily get to the station when the light comes on, i would keep so diesel for backup, but wouldn't worry about using it all the time to extend visits between the fuel station

like 2.2TDI said, drive more worry less

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
35,000km at 5.6L/100km = 1960L diesel per year - give or take.

If I save $0.10 /L by planning my trips to the 'gas' station, I save almost $200/yr....

- Motorcycle hardly gets any use, so I don't always go to CT for gas, plus the most I've put in is 17L.

- Summer car gets about 9L/100km (premium) - I try to get to CT to fill that up, but it only has about a 500km range....

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
but don't ya save that 0.10/L regardless if you fill up the 20L, IE you need a minimum amount to get the discount?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
How much of that 1960L is filled from the can vs pump? 10-20%? Seems like a lot of trouble to save $20-$40 a year.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
On very long trips, i.e several days long I carry a spare can of Diesel. In 12 years I have only had to use it three times.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Now take that 200 bucks and divide it by the amount of time you spent saving that 200 bucks... Then ask yourself how much your time is worth and then you'll realize that you're probably not saving all that much... I learned this a while ago... Drive more, worry less. I live by the airport and I like going for drives to see planes take off and land... It happens that where they take off and land there is cheap gas, so it's a win win for me to go there and get fuel, but if I'm not going that way or going to watch planes, I'm not driving out of my way to save 10c a liter

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Post #5 - It's the CT Gas card... we usually save $0.10 each fill up because our balance on that card is over $2000 (barely) each month....

I'm still working out my system, will keep you(s) posted.

Post #8 If I'm driving a CT Gas bar with diesel, and I'm near half a tank, I'll fill up. I guess if I use the 20L can from home, I should stick the empty in the trunk to fillup for the next time I need it... Just have to figure out the way to make the most efficient use of the time and $$.

I drive the Jetta a lot from September to March (for kids' hockey and ringette).

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
How much of that 1960L is filled from the can vs pump? 10-20%? Seems like a lot of trouble to save $20-$40 a year.

I agree. You time must worth more than $40 to all this too.
I get my fuel at the closest gas station when the fuel counter is near 0. If I happen to drive by the cheap ones when the light is on, I stop but otherwise wait until the tank is pretty much empty. No need to carry all that extra wight for not reason.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
I have three of those yellow 20L diesel jugs. I almost never use them for the Jetta though, they're for my other diesel vehicles. It's just a lot faster to use the Jetta to ferry the jugs to town to fill them than to drive either my Case 580K backhoe or my IH 444 tractor to the fueling station. I think in 4 High at max rpm, the 444 can hit 15mph on flat ground.