New Poster

Caddie

TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, Silver
Hi guys, i stumbled upon your forums the other night and have been overjoyed ever since at the prospect of upgrading my TDI, previously i thought there were no mods for them.

I have read the FAQ and i just wanted to ask for your advice before i dive in to the MOD arena head first.

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, the 90HP one with an Automatic transmission. I was looking into the injector upgrade (from 0.158mm to 0.184mm injectors) with an Upsolute chip.

http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

In addition to that i was going to look into the Intercooler Kit on the same Upsolute page.
EDIT: whoops, forgot about this exhaust also:

http://techtonicstuning.com/

TT Stainless 2.5 in. Exhaust 1999-up Jetta VR6/TDI

My Question: With the above mods in mind, would the stock parts be ok or will i need to replace the clutch/tranny/etc?
Also, has anyone traveled the avenue of the larger intercooler(link above)?
Im a noob when it comes to this subject and i have only known of it since yesterday but i found this in the FAQ:

"If you are starting with an A4 automatic with Upsolute or Wetterauer chip and no tuning box, you can install 0.184 injectors provided that you recalibrate the EGR system so that maximum possible intake air is specified, and recalibrate reported injection quantity at warm idle to around 3.0 mg/stroke, or possibly slightly greater if exhaust smoke proves to be an issue. Do not use any type of tuning box in this application, it will be marginal on exhaust smoke without adding still more fuel. This configuration has been tested on quite a few vehicles with no known issues at this writing. Long term durability of the automatic transmission in this application is not known."

I just wanted to make sure i dont overcook anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
Um caddy you have an auto, you don't have a swappable clutch. As for how will the tranny hold up? I'd suggest upgrading the fluid and a large tranny cooler, but I have a stick. You might want to ask some of the auto clan here how they're holding up.

As for the intercooler there is a few already, and it does help smoke a little, but mainly fixes heatsoak and boost spikes and EGT on those with injectors and chips.

Hope that helps a bit, OH and welcome

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
The injector upgrade you mention is very mild. You should have no issues at all. The FM intercooler is probably overkill at your level. Better to spend your money on chiptuning to compliment the injectors. The FAQ is somewhat outdated, but it is still a good place to start.

Welcome aboard, try not to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of chatter flowing through these boards. Just have fun and enjoy the best kept secret way to have your cake and eat it too.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You will have no issues related to the transmission. I beat mine upi more than you probably ever will and its still doing fine after 120k miles.

Caddie

TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, Silver
Great thanks guys, im still not sure how much the intercooler would cost but if its expensive and i can go without, then i could put the money towards some new wheels /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
you won't need it for a while. As in 2 sizes up in injectors, chip, heck even pump head /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its really to help EGT due to heatsoak, and boost spikes (larger volume to fill dampens the spikes)

Go injectors first, then look a chip that matches it.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
I agree with Kerma, you're tranny will be fine. I have PP520's (.216 size injectors) and a Rocket chip stage 3.1 in my car and I haven't had any problems with the tranny. As far as the intercooler goes, in my opinion you don't need it unless you do some crazy mods and plan on driving at 100mph+ for long periods of time...the stock intercooler has worked out great for me, but then again I don't drive real fast for long periods of time.

If I were you, I'd get the PP520's from Kerma...the .184's are too small and they'll just leave you wanting more!

Caddie

TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, Silver
Im not really a DIY type, for the most part anyway. If i choose the 502 nozzle with the Upsolute combo, should i assume the shop that puts the chip in would be able to do the tuning (Vag-Com) or do i have to do that myself with VAG-Com?
I just dont wanna give the naysayers against modding any fuel for the fire in the case that they know better-- say for instance if i drive home with a car producing noticably more smoke than before.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
If you go with 502 and Upsolute your car WILL smoke like crazy under full power. I have the 520s and a RocketChip 3.1...my car smokes pretty bad when its floored, but if you don't floor it there shouldn't be too much smoke. Actually, when my car first started smoking I didn't like it, but now, I love the fact that it smokes a bit under full power. Maybe its just a diesel lover thing /images/graemlins/grin.gif