Buzzken exhaust & EGT sensors question

lindenladouceur

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT Tuned & Deleted
Hello all,

Yesterday I installed the Buzzken 2.5 inch turbo-back exhaust system on my 2011 Jetta TDI, just waiting on the ECU now. I followed Rawtek instructions for the install, and was surprised to find that there were no welded bungs for any EGT sensors. The only bung on the Buzzken system was for the O2 sensor on the top of the downpipe.

So does this mean there is only one remaining EGT sensor on the entire car? The one on the exhaust manifold underneath the turbo? I plan on monitoring EGTs through OBD2 (Aeroforce Interceptor gauge), so this single sensor will give me the EGT reading I want?

I just looked at a 3 inch Buzzken CR downpipe online and it appears to have two EGT sensor bungs underneath the upper O2 sensor bung on the downpipe.

So my main question is does my car need any EGT sensors on the exhaust system?

Thanks!
Linden

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It depends on what the tuner is doing with the software. Obviously the only reason some of the sensors are there are to monitor and control DPF and EGR. If you no longer have those items, then you no longer need the relevant sensors.

lindenladouceur

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT Tuned & Deleted
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm getting a Malone Stage 2 ECU tune, so DPF and EGR delete, so I guess that makes sense not requiring all of the original EGT sensors. I'm just used to always having an EGT sensor on the downpipe (Powerstroke, turbo boxer, etc).

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Pre-turbine EGT is the only thing that really matters if we're strictly talking about engine health and tuning. There's not really any useful EGT data post turbine unless you're trying to use a DPF.

We care about exit temperature from the engine and input temperature to the turbine since that's what melts things but once we're post turbine the work has already been done and there's nothing left to protect on a DPF-less system.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Huh, that must be something he changed. My buzzken downpipe has three bungs for sensors. Makes sense though as the tune only sees the preturbine egt sensor.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Glad I searched this. I'm right in middle and this is the third one I installed and noticed only o2 sensor as well.

On Jack stands again ;-(
Thanks.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Only the pre-turbine EGT and primary O2 sensor are important, all of the rest can be deleted. The pre-turbine EGT will limit power if disconnected, and if values reach the limiters set within the ECU, which are typically 840-930C depending on tuning. You should not hit that in everyday use, but runway racing might require slight de-tuning. Best not to relocate the EGT to the downpipe or fudge values in software since that could overheat the turbo if abused.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I did notice my p3 gauge boost doesn't work after Malone tune and buzzken install. Stuck on -23.something. Guess have to wait to call P3 Monday