Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I am finally to the point where I need to do my timing belt an was planning to have it done over the next two weeks. I checked with Jeff in Mooresville (I am just around the corner) and he isn't available to do it... so, it looks like I am going to need to do this myself. I don't have the tools or VCDS. I am certainly not intimidated by working on cars and have done a lot of work on it already, but I don't want to mess this up and it would be nice if I could work on this with someone else, so that I can get familiar with it. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount (and I am not clueless about... I have been reading as much as I can about it, and I would be doing the work with guidance and borrowing tools). I am also concerned about the timing varying too much before/after... I am getting great mileage and don't want it to tank afterwards.

I am planning on a vacation, which was why I figured I could just let Jeff have it for a week and find time whenever, but he just doesn't. So, weekend of the 6th/7th would be good, but could like do the 5th if someone were interested. I could probably wait one more week after that, but every week is pushing it.

If possible, I'd like to do an intake cleaning too.

Any takers?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
DCELL likes working on cars send him a pm. I have VCDS but not the desire to do a timing belt nor the specialized tools required.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
Myself and dcell are those in the area that I know of who work on others vehicles, I'm by the airport he is on the far north east side

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
What are some causes for a rough idle? If I give it a little go pedal it smooths right out.

I don't have vagcom so I can't scan it :( I can do minor obdii scans with torque on my phone. All that's on there it is the ecu complaining about the missing egr

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
tony, given your mileage, I'd suspect injectors. get a set of pp520's and I'll throw them in for you. seriously, you'll wonder why you waited!!

Maybe others will chime in, but that's just my hunch.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Note to self: When going to Pick A Part remember to bring ratchet to go with sockets! DOH! But fortunately I had enough of the right tools to do the job! Thanks for Fyrsail introducing me to the joy of Pick A Part. Think I have a new weekend hobby!

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
tony, given your mileage, I'd suspect injectors. get a set of pp520's and I'll throw them in for you. seriously, you'll wonder why you waited!!

Maybe others will chime in, but that's just my hunch.
That's kinda what I was thinking too. Should I just get a set of nozzles, or go with Drivebywire's swap program?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
it's a lot quicker to do the swap, also a lot less risk of messing up one of the bodies when changing nozzles, as they can be seriously stuck and carbon gunked up. I would ask for a couple extra copper seal washers too. They sometimes don't seat properly the first time and will leak if you try to re-seat them.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
Bonfire

Just to throw it out there will be a bonfire to christen the new house and shop this Saturday night starting at around 6 pm, all are welcome, bring your own chairs, and anything special you want to drink.
This house is located 12 miles north of the pyramids on 421(Michigan road).
That's 1 mile north of the intersection of 32 and 421, at cr 100 north on the sw corner. Hope to see y'all there

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Anyone out there with the special triangle socket to remove the bolt off of the top IP cover? Need to remove top cover in order to remove and test start stop solenoid on the IP. Hoping this is all that is wrong with it and avoid $400 IP!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jerry- didn't we cut a slot in yours for a screwdriver? Maybe I'm thinking of another...
I've never actually used one of those sockets?

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
yeah there's a slot there but the damn thing is so seized up I'm afraid of breaking off part of the bolt head! Real pain trying to find replacement bolts for the IP cover as well! If I remember correctly the start stop solenoid was what caused my no start issue the last time. I only had a 7/8" crow's foot and can't get the solenoid out without taking the cover off.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Thanks dogdot will try that! Ordered the socket from ID Parts yesterday. Man they have the parts but their shipping charges are OUTRAGEOUS!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Well another huge THANK YOU to Fyrsail for helping me get Bee up and running! I was talking to him on the phone and mentioned that I was surprised the IP was dry, which he immeadiately knew what the problem was. I'll let him tell you what the part was that was causing the problem, as I can't remember the name of the damn thing! He's already lined me up for a control arm, TB change, EGR removal, skid plate installation, and some AC troubleshooting when I get back from our St. George Island vacation. Dude really likes to fix sh!t....good thing for me!!!

Last edited:

Red Dog

TDI
VW Beetle
Dcell Are you up for TB on the bug this fall? It will be ready for one then?

Veg good to see still brewing your own?

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Would an 80gal 2 stage compressor, a new heavy duty 1/2 impact, and a 12 ton shop press be enough to change the wheel bearings on the front of my NB? Or should I get the $100 harbor freight bearing kit and press them out on the car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gunselman

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi, Black
Would an 80gal 2 stage compressor, a new heavy duty 1/2 impact, and a 12 ton shop press be enough to change the wheel bearings on the front of my NB? Or should I get the $100 harbor freight bearing kit and press them out on the car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Its easy enough to do with the $100 harbor freight press kit. If you are keeping the knuckle on the car the HF tools are the way to go. If you are going to remove the knuckle then a press is really nice but not needed.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Its easy enough to do with the $100 harbor freight press kit. If you are keeping the knuckle on the car the HF tools are the way to go. If you are going to remove the knuckle then a press is really nice but not needed.
OK, sounds like fun ... i'll be doing them this weekend if anyone wants to come up to Lafayette to help/watch sunday afternoon :D

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the KD Hub Tamer is the way to go as you can do the wheel bearing in about an hour per side. Two club members in Minneapolis MN have this tool and I borrowed it and it is so cool. Remove the axle half shaft from the hub, remove the break caliper, pull the hub off the axle shaft, assemble the KD hub tamer for bearing removal, electric impact or powerful air impact, and out comes the bearing. Reverse the process and you are done. The cool part about this tool is it requires no suspension parts removal.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...earchTerm=hub+tamer+elite+bearing+service+set

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Don't you still have to disconnect the lower ball joint to get the axle out of the hub?

Anyway $550 is a bit much for a tool, that I don't see myself using that much...

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't you still have to disconnect the lower ball joint to get the axle out of the hub?

Anyway $550 is a bit much for a tool, that I don't see myself using that much...

Nope it is like when you are doing a clutch you unbolt the half shaft from the transmission and hang it, then when you have the axle nut off (you did that with the car on the ground), you push on the axle and it pushes it out. Oh pushing the half shaft out of the hub can be a b**ch and the best tool I have found is a 3 jaw puller that attaches to the hub using lug nuts and I rented it from an autoparts store in MN. This tool http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Univ...TF8&qid=1371776051&sr=8-4&keywords=otc+puller

Yes $550 is a chunk for a tool but if I needed to do the bearings on my car I would buy it as it makes the job so easy.

Have fun getting the inner race out. Scurvy used a dremel to cut through his. I used 3 chisels (small medium large) to move the inner race up enough to get a three jaw puller on it. Took about 30 minutes.