cross country oh-eleven.

ptherock

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4-door manual
leaving on monday (2/21) from new jersey, going across 80 until colorado and visiting friends. then down to carlsbad ca for more friending, and up the coast to san fran to see another few friends. landing in south lake tahoe to get some skiing in for march. then back to the east in april.

i'll be driving my blue 2010 golf tdi. i'll be the one with the jersey plates and a carload of skiing crap. if you see me honk and flip me the bird :D

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Have a safe trip, both on the roads and the slopes! Keep us posted on how the trip is going.

Dan

ptherock

TDI
thanks! i'll post updates and pics along the way! can't wait to be skiing back in the west, the east coast just doesn't hold it down against the 5ft overnight dumps out there. :D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
dont forget some additive for your fuel running across country....
doing similar trip but just for skiing. going Toronto to Denver ski 5 days and back.
my golf is also a speed 2011...looking forward to getting to denver from toronto for about 100 bucks...mme my gal and my Labrador retriever. cheap runnin....

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Yes, put it some of that fuel additive stuff to keep it lubricated better and keep it flowing(also better!).

Skiing in the Rockies is a blast, but 'boarding is even better...

Eldora(Boulder area), Winter Park, etc.(West of Idaho Springs-Berthoud Pass), Loveland(before the Vail tunnel), turn South to Copper MTN(South from Vail) or "Breck", et al..., and then on to Wolf Creek(Pagosa Springs), even Durango Mtn resort is the way to do it!
That is 5-7 days of hard skiing without wasting time to retrace too many steps.
Some other locations are OK. but for the $(your $), these are the better locations, ease of lift lines, etc. $50's per day in Eldora, Loveland and Wolf Creek, other's are close to $70-80!
(N. Mexico snow is different, don't wait to get to those mtns, may not like it...)

ptherock

TDI
a quick update:

in denver now, i went skiing yesterday with my friend at keystone. i'm packing up and heading to carlsbad to meet up with more friends.

i never realized how long 600+ miles was for a tank until now. i only stopped for fillups, and man did it seem like forever. :p

ptherock

TDI
it was quite a bit cheaper in arizona, but i had quite a bit of fuel left when i cut through (i was on 15 and only cut across the NW corner of it). i still have 1/3 tank if i remember correctly, but i'll have to fill up on my way up to san francisco. prices around here are pretty insane.

never heard of gasbuddy, thanks for the tip!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
So how is Carlsbad today?

We got rid of the rain on Saturday. The local mountains have a wonderful White cover. Sunday and Monday were fantastic (sorry, just normal San Diego).

Have you seen the bumper stickers that say "Welcome to San Diego, now go home."

ptherock

TDI
i actually left carlsbad monday afternoon, but it was beautiful. sunny and about 60 degrees. i went to see a friend in northridge before going up to san fran and meeting a few buds up there.

as for carlsbad and san diego though: the snow in the mountains by alpine were beautiful as we started a small brewery tour - we hit alpine, then ballast point, then stone. green flash was also in the plan but they closed early and we showed up to locked doors :mad:. don't worry, we had a dd :D. i'm considering going back for the weekend to get a glass of pliny the younger which i have been in search of for 2 years now. i'm a super beer nerd if you couldn't tell.

i'm in tahoe now, and it's snowing, i always bring the snow here... last time i came it snowed 4 feet in about a day and a half (in town, the mountain was over 6'!). i can't wait to get to kirkwood for some fresh tracks. i was here a couple years ago for a month and fell in love with the place.