Swapping a TDI into a 2.0L GTI (both A4s)

a1junkie

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS
Here's the situation: I have a '00 Golf GL TDI, my friend has a '99.5 2.0L GTI, and he is looking to upgrade to a 1.8T GTI. I'd like to swap engines and keep his car's body with the TDI, in order to upgrade to the following options that didn't come in the GL TDI model...
-Heated Leather Seats
-Sunroof
-Fog lights
-Monsoon amp wiring
-sway bars
-his car hasn't been in an accident, mine has.

Aside from the sunroof, I'd just scavenge parts- but it's key. I would, of course, be giving him some (ok, a LOT of) $$ to make up for the lowered resale value of his car.

So, on to the questions... what would it take? What would I need to swap out of the dash to make each engine work in the other car? Do I have to go with his power windows to work the power sunroof- is the roof offered anywhere in the world with a manual crank that I could use? Is there anything else to worry about? I've taken part in several A1 engine swaps, and the crew I would be dragging in to do this with me has a lot of experience with swaps in general, but NONE of us has torn down a TDI before.

M

mickey

Nothing special about a TDI swap, other than the drive by wire throttle. You'll need to swap the ECU and the engine's wiring harness. Swap trannies, too, because the gearing is totally different.

-mickey