replace turn signal flasher relay?

RMS5150

TDI
2001 GLS Galactic Blue
2001 Jetta GLS TDI. I've done the searches, but haven't come up with a how-to for replacing the turn signal flasher relay. I've read that it is integrated with the hazard switch?? How is this replaced? My blinkers go a few times at various speed and quit, sometimes not working at all. The hazard lights flash perfect. Are the turn and hazard flashers 2 separate parts? Autozone says there are 2, but are also the same part number. All the bulbs are good.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
As I recall the switch just pulls out. Note: this may not be true for all years and all models.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RMS5150 said:
2001 Jetta GLS TDI. I've done the searches, but haven't come up with a how-to for replacing the turn signal flasher relay. I've read that it is integrated with the hazard switch?? How is this replaced? My blinkers go a few times at various speed and quit, sometimes not working at all. The hazard lights flash perfect. Are the turn and hazard flashers 2 separate parts? Autozone says there are 2, but are also the same part number. All the bulbs are good.
A replacement flasher relay is about $22 -- if you think that's it, then it's worth a try. Just use a thin knife blade to pry the old one out, careful not to damage the plastic trim around the flasher.

If that doesn't work, then it's in the turn signal housing. There's a longish thread on this, but I just squirted some WD40 in there and it actually stopped my problem... which was random clicking, so not exactly the same symptoms as yours.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
FYI, the hazard switch/turn signal relay was a factory recall item on my wife's 2001 GTI, so you might check with your dealer and see if your car falls within the parameters of the recall (via VIN).

5string

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Gray w/ black leather
03 Jetta with turn signal clicking problem...just started.

03 Jetta with 130,000 miles. Turn signals work normally, but when I turn them OFF the clicking continues intermittently, and sometimes at a faster rate than the normal flashing rate. No lights come on when this clicking happens...just the clicks. I can sometimes stop it by signaling left or right a few times, but there's definitely something going on. I just noticed it this morning so I haven't had a chance to scan it or otherwise investigate it.
Can somebody explain where this flasher relay is located, and also can Tornado Red tell me more about squirting WD40 to fix a similar problem?

Thanks,

Steve

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
5string said:
Can somebody explain where this flasher relay is located, and also can Tornado Red tell me more about squirting WD40 to fix a similar problem?
The flasher relay is the hazard switch, center of the dashboard.

As for the WD40, I just sprayed some in the general direction of the turn signal switch, using the very thin tube that fits in the WD40 can's spray nozzle. Then I worked the turn signal lever up and down a half-dozen times or so. I don't think you can squirt too much WD40 in there, though I suppose eventually it will drip down on your pants' leg.

5string

TDI
TornadoRed said:
The flasher relay is the hazard switch, center of the dashboard.

As for the WD40, I just sprayed some in the general direction of the turn signal switch, using the very thin tube that fits in the WD40 can's spray nozzle. Then I worked the turn signal lever up and down a half-dozen times or so. I don't think you can squirt too much WD40 in there, though I suppose eventually it will drip down on your pants' leg.

Thanks, I'll look at that soon. I knew the clicking was nearby but I didn't know it was the hazard switch. Makes sense though. Funny thing is the random clicking only happens after the turn signals are turned off, not while they're operating. Hazard lights are fine and do not cause the clicking when they are turned on or off. I'm betting on the turn signal switch.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5string said:
I'm betting on the turn signal switch.
Yep. Probably got enough gunk in there that it's creating an intermittent circuit when there shouldn't be one. That's why brake cleaner or WD40 sometimes works.

I tried it only because someone else mentioned that it worked for him, though I don't remember if the fix was permanent in his case. In mine, it's been nearly 12 months. A very cheap remedy.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Before the recall, I carefully opened mine up, filed the contact points, re-formed the arm for more pressure on the contacts and it went another 75K mi. and was still OK at the recall

5string

TDI
TornadoRed said:
Yep. Probably got enough gunk in there that it's creating an intermittent circuit when there shouldn't be one. That's why brake cleaner or WD40 sometimes works.

I tried it only because someone else mentioned that it worked for him, though I don't remember if the fix was permanent in his case. In mine, it's been nearly 12 months. A very cheap remedy.
Did you remove any of the plastic around the steering column or just spray through the hole where the turn signal arm comes out?

Steve

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I didn't use WD-40 but I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into my blinker stalk. I think it gets dirty and causes it to act funny.

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
I know that this is an old post 10 years old in fact, I have came across this issues recently and looking for some direction, should I be looking at the turn signal switch in the steering column or should I be looking at replacing the hazard light/turn signal relay.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know that this is an old post 10 years old in fact, I have came across this issues recently and looking for some direction, should I be looking at the turn signal switch in the steering column or should I be looking at replacing the hazard light/turn signal relay.
If turn signals are clicking randomly then the problem is in the turn signal multifunction switch. If signals are not working at all then it's the flasher relay. If the signal is normal for either left or right but clicking rapidly on the other side, then you have a bad bulb.

I know some people say WD40 is a totally wrong product for cleaning out the multifunction switch, but it has almost always worked for me; only once did I actually have to replace the switch. The last time I used it was about six months ago and the problem has not returned. I sprayed a lot in there.

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
So I finally had some time to fix this annoying issue, what I ended up doing was removing the steering wheel cover to expose the multifunction switch, and I sprayed and electrical contact cleaner in and all around the switch and so far no more clicking noise when it’s not supposed to.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good use of a 10 year old thread.
There are 2 problems with turn signal operation herein, I will summarize.
1. Bad flasher
pops out of the dash
Careful not to damage the plastic trim around the flasher
Get the top shelf product from the dealer or ? (no ebay, amazon, alibaba)
2. Bad actuator (signal stalk)
Can sometimes be contacts, excess grease picks up metal bits over time, common to many makes.
See Posts #13-15.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Removing the middle air vent can make removal of the switch a little easier. Just make sure the vertical dial is closed.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
quite a while back I had the same problem, I used a plastic friendly contact cleaner and I sprayed it around the turn signal stalk in the drivers column and the problem has not returned in a very long time just my two cents.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
My turn signals stopped working in my 2001 Beetle. Thanks to this thread, it sounded like my hazard switch was suspect, so I looked for a used one at my local U-pull-it. All 3 Beetles were already scavenged, so I grabbed a hazard switch from a 2003 Passat knowing the cover was different, but it plugged into the Beetle connector just fine.

Took it home for the minimum yard charge of $2.00, and it fixed the turn signals. And it turns out you can remove the face of the switch; it swapped for the Beetle version so it's fixed cosmetically too.