PD Engine stalls when Hot; won't restart . .

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Throwing parts or not is rather unimportant at this point. Let em replace it - I hope it is the problem so you can be driving a good car again. Let's return to the other potentials if this isn't it.

How different is the current ecu from the prior ones? This does make sense - I used to have a computer (in the dinosaur days) that didn't have an internal fan, and would go wonky after being used for 2 hours or so. Perhaps the chips in these cars are starting to get too big to rely on ambient cooling? At least in the summer.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So, would a hot engine correlate/cause the in-tank fuel pump to intermitently fail?
This is just a wild guess, so get out the saline IV for this.

Hot engine would mean that the fuel is hot. Hot fuel causes a contact to break in the fuel pump, causing no pumpy.

So, why wouldn't the fuel cooler keep the fuel cool enough? Is there a problem with that, causing excessivly hot fuel to return to tank? If the fuel cooler is plugged with mud, it wouldn't cool very well.

Now that's all blue-sky, rambling and I don't know how close I could be, but it's something to think about.

Sadly, it does not address the GP light issue.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So - get this to the dealer, and let's find out if changing the ecu fixes it. If not, we have IV- (generally filled with beer/wine) fueled members to guess the next problem.

Ry-dog

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen
Got the car back from the dealership. They replaced the ECU and re-programmed my keys all covered under warranty.

Looks like this fixed the problem. I have certainly replicated the conditions that would cause my car to stall out and not start prior to the ECU replacement many times and it runs great.

I guess more time will tell for sure, but I don't think its the in-tank fuel pump since it is running great now with the new ECU. The service manager indicated that VW tech headquarters said they have seen this overheating ECU on a number of the PDs, thus that is why they did my replacement.

I'll post back if the problem comes back - if not, problem was fixed with new ECU.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is good news. Keep us informed of any changes.