2014 NMS alignment pull right torque steer ?

ascalise

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Did anyone ever get to bottom if this? I just bought a used 15 wolfsburg 1.8TSI, put new michelin primacys on it the next day, and man is it horrible. The pull is much more violent than the tdi ever was. It is almost too difficult to keeo it in a straight line on the road. The tdi would correct itself with miles, not willing to do the same with this one. Also having strange annyoing problems with the front brakes and wondering if there is a distant possivility that these two problems are related.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Did you check alignment? Try to do it.
If the alignment doesn't fix it completely, rotate the tires to see if this helps.
No idea what might be going on with the brakes, good luck.

ascalise

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Did you check alignment? Try to do it.
If the alignment doesn't fix it completely, rotate the tires to see if this helps.
No idea what might be going on with the brakes, good luck.
It is not the alignment.. tracks perfectly straight at reasonable throttle levels and and in neutral. Tires are brand new michelin primacys, as stated in my previous post. Just got them two days ago. I have owned 2 of these now, and drive about 5 more as loaners, etc. They have ALL done this to a certain extent, but this is by far the worst. If you step on the gas say at 60-70 it will change lanes, and if you let off all at once it will violently go back to the left. Varying speeds on the interstate 10-20mph really make it difficult to keep it straight. And whats odd, is that under alot of power at slower speeds, where you would think it would be worse, it's not. It is far less exaggerated.

ascalise

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
As far as the brakes, they were badly warped. When getting new tires, I measured the thickness, which measured 24.4mm. The pads had tons of meat on them. I got it home that day, took the rotors off, had them turned, and put new auto parts store grade pads on. The pulsating went completely away around town, but is still there at highway speeds. Should not be there at all. Also, both before and after brake change, the front brakes honk bad at a complete stop and pedal let off. It is SUPER loud and annoying. I even sprayed that stuff on the back of the pads, which I have used on every (40 some brake jobs) car that I have done. That stuff usually works very well. Also, cleaned and greased the caliper pins.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I'm at 112k with new tires and its now starting to gently pull to the right, will enter the lane to the right in about 200 feet with hands off the wheel. Throttle of any type doesn't change the pull though. before 100k and on the original continual tires the car would track strait for miles- tracked perfect floored or not- sounds like a treadware pull

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I've posted this several times before: set both front and rear toe to zero, set rear camber to between 1degree neg and 1.5 negative. use a good alignment shop that aligns to minutes of a degree rather than tenths, front castor and camber readings should be close, left and right, if not, align subframe. minutes of arc is six times more accurate than tenths of a degree. Obviously tire condition is a huge factor if you want this to be effective. With these settings, the steering controller can and will correct for road crown.