Why timing belts?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
[ QUOTE ]
tdibugman said:well, since mercedes has been brought up.. this weekend, I'm getting an 83 300SD with 280K miles. Engine has never been opened. snip snip

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize in advance for going OT with the MB timing chain stuff.

A timing chain is not a maintenace free item on any MB, especially on old MB diesels. Regardless of the year or model, all MB diesel engines have to have the timing chain stretch checked. I know guys who put 500K miles on their old MB diesels and have never had to change one, and I also know guys who have had their chains prematurely break as DBW's dad has. There is no way to predict how long a timing chain will last without taking the valve cover off and do an inspection. As far as replacing gears and guide rails, if one were being as super anal as DBW is /images/graemlins/wink.gif then it's a good idea if you want to go through the extra money, time, and work. Typically gears don't wear out, the nylon guide rails do but very rarely. Here is a picture of a failed MB timing chain, note, ALL MB diesels use double chains too!

tdibugman,

Your new/old toy has an engine that has to have the valves adjusted every 15,000 miles. During this valve adjustment the timing chain stretch is suppose to be checked. Here is the procedure.

617.95X valve adjustment and timing chain stretch check

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

03GOLFTDI19

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver
I dont thinkg a belt should EVER be on an interference motor such as a tdi...Its retarded break the belt and get a new motor? Its just plain stupid

03GOLFTDI19

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
Some models of Harley's use belts for the final drive, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but what if your belt breaks? so what put another one on. What if you belt breaks on a tdi? put in a new motor? Its just to critical to use a belt

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
03GOLFTDI19 said:
I dont thinkg a belt should EVER be on an interference motor such as a tdi...Its retarded break the belt and get a new motor? Its just plain stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

If belts are replaced at regular intervals the chance of a broken belt is nill...
All the belt failures I see are a result of poor maintenance, incorrect installation or other failed part.
Very, Very rarely a bad belt, in fact broken chain guides and failed chain tensioners are more common than a prematurely broken belt.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
lets see---ford uses chains on the 4.6, the 5.4, and the V10---ive seen as high as 197,000 on a 4.6--chains still quiet--still goes like scat-engine uses no oil---yup--belts are W A Y better!!!!!and ford likes to save a buck also!!!!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
[ QUOTE ]
sassyrel said:
lets see---ford uses chains on the 4.6, the 5.4, and the V10---ive seen as high as 197,000 on a 4.6--chains still quiet--still goes like scat-engine uses no oil---yup--belts are W A Y better!!!!!and ford likes to save a buck also!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Triton" modular engines are not even close to the architecture of a 4 cylinder TDI...they use 2 chains, one for each bank, and do not run a water pump or injection pump off of either of them. Apples to oranges...