Crazy to Trade-In 2012 TDI Premium Plus?

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Hi All,
I am thinking about trading in my 2012 A3 TDI Premium Plus for a left-over 2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Manual Transmission. The value of the 2 cars is similar, so not a lot of $$ would be required.
The A3 is near the end of its warranty and although it has been 100% trouble-free, the prospect of a new car with a new warranty is appealing.
Clearly the driving dynamics are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but does this make sense otherwise?:confused:

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Hi All,
I am thinking about trading in my 2012 A3 TDI Premium Plus for a left-over 2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Manual Transmission. The value of the 2 cars is similar, so not a lot of $$ would be required.
The A3 is near the end of its warranty and although it has been 100% trouble-free, the prospect of a new car with a new warranty is appealing.
Clearly the driving dynamics are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but does this make sense otherwise?:confused:
I traded in my 2012 as well, I went with the GSW but the CX5 was in my short list

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
You've got a very nice, trouble free 2012 A3 TDI. I'd hold on to it longer, unless you can't resist a new car. My 2 cents.

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Thanks for the feedback - you are all correct. I must have been crazy to entertain this thought. I visited Mazda of Milford (CT) last night and experienced a much-needed reality check in the process. In a way, I am glad that they tried to lowball me on the trade-in.

The CX-5 doesn't hold a candle to the A3 TDI - it is tinny (they call it "high strength steel"), underpowered, and in general cheaply finished. At the risk of being rhetorical, which would you rather send your son or daughter off to college in?

The dealership leaves a lot to be desired as well. Compared to the local Audi dealer I use, these fools don't have a clue when it comes to customer service or providing a positive experience.

The A3 and I are planning to stay together as long as possible. It really is an excellent ride. Next up, some new shoes!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Yeah. I couldn't imagine the Mazda would have the same quality feel as your Audi and no where near the torque. Good call. Every now and then I get tempted to get another car, but after pondering it for a day or two I usually lose enthusiasm.