Six months and 24,000 miles

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
My 2015 A3 TDI continues to run flawlessly, and even better than new. I don’t know what the dealer’s service department did at the 15k service, actually done at 16k, but the car is a noticeably peppier now. Fuel economy may be up, too, but it’s hard to tell since I’ve been driving it in a much warmer climate in south Florida since a week or so after the service and the mileage would rise from that alone. Even though I hand calculate the mpg at every fill up, I don’t keep track of mileage overall, but it seems to be averaging in the low 40s. I’m sure it would be better if I could keep my right foot out of the turbocharger but 80+ is its natural cruising speed and besides, it’s fun to use the engine’s newfound responsiveness. The difference between the car’s MPG estimates and my hand calculations continues to be all over the board; the only sure thing is that my calculation will be lower.

The only fly in the ointment is that the oil light came on at around 15,000 miles. Hadn’t had this happen for many decades and called the dealer in near panic. After determining that the light was on due to oil level as opposed to pressure, she told me to just put a quart of oil in it and it’d be fine. Which I did, and it was fine. Now I carry an extra quart in the trunk, just in case.

But there’s another funny thing about that. A few weeks later I was filling out the annual Consumer Report car survey online, checking the usual boxes indicating whether or not there were various problems with the car, then went to the next page. There it was, a question all by itself on the page, asking if the car was burning oil, and if so, how much and at how many miles. Hm, I doubt they ask this question about every car. Are they on to something about EA288 engines already? To me it’s no big deal to add a quart every 10,000 miles as long as I know not to be surprised by it.

Speaking of surprises, now that the car has hit the six month point I have to start paying AT&T for Audi Connect. Since I drive cross country a lot I got the $499 for 30 Gb plan and then checked my usage online a few days later. Yikes! 2.8 Gb, over $46 worth, in four days! Now I am on a quest to find out how much each of the Audi Connect features contributes to this total. Doing some online research brought up a post in another forum indicating that Google Earth is the data hog, but if anybody knows something more about this, or can point me to a tool to separate out the various features for data usage, I’d be very appreciative. Meanwhile, I’m using the standard maps.

Finally, the MMI Connect Android smartphone app has been through several updates and is getting better but still not completely there yet. It added a traffic data feature and the buffering problem with some of the internet radio stations seems to be gone, though one Boston area station that I’d like to listen to on the road still refuses to connect. And, more funny than anything else, is the Car Finder, which purports to mark where you parked the car: “Exact parking position saved (~54.4 yards)”

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Nice to know that the cars have an oil level sensor too. I assumed it was like my mkv gti where there was only a pressure sensor. Had that go on once around an exit ramp where my oil must've shifted away from pickup tube. Scared the hell out of me.

ChinaBob

TDI
An update on this situation:

Speaking of surprises, now that the car has hit the six month point I have to start paying AT&T for Audi Connect. Since I drive cross country a lot I got the $499 for 30 Gb plan and then checked my usage online a few days later. Yikes! 2.8 Gb, over $46 worth, in four days! Now I am on a quest to find out how much each of the Audi Connect features contributes to this total. Doing some online research brought up a post in another forum indicating that Google Earth is the data hog, but if anybody knows something more about this, or can point me to a tool to separate out the various features for data usage, I’d be very appreciative. Meanwhile, I’m using the standard maps.
I called Audi to ask if they had any specific info on the relative data consumption of each of the Audi Connect features (Google Earth, internet audio streaming, web surfing, etc.) The people I talked with didn't have any hard numbers and said they'd get back to me. It's been about a week and I haven't heard back from them, so I can only assume that Audi has assembled a team of crack engineers to study the question and post the results on the Audi USA website in the form of an interactive graph. These things take time, you know.

Meanwhile, I did a bit more research on my own and found an interactive graph on the Verizon Wireless website that shows conclusively that audio streaming is the big data hog. This leaves me with three choices:

1. Keep on streaming and pay AT&T about $500 a month for every 30 GB.
2. Buy a new A3 every six months and trade it when the connectivity trial period is up.
3. Don't do any more audio streaming and download my Chinese classical music from Amazon to the SD card.

Oh, and my own messing around with Audi Connect seems to indicate that Google Earth doesn't use all that much bandwidth, so I've turned it back on again, at least until Audi completes their exhaustive analysis and posts the results.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
A quart being used already? That should be surprising and alarming in my opinion, we're talking about a brand new car. My 2003 golf uses around 1-1.5 quarts every 10,000 miles and i'm not the happiest about it, but it is a 12 year old car with 180k miles

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Where is the oil level sitting on your dipstick? The sensor in the EA288 is very sensitive.

ChinaBob

TDI
Like most other posters, I have never had a car before that burned a noticeable amount of oil, so I about went into cardiac arrest when the low oil light came on 1000-2000 miles shy of the 15, 000 miles service. When I checked the dipstick it was indeed dry, so on the advice of the Audi dealer, I put in a quart of oil and went on my way.

The fact that EA 288 oil consumption has been discussed on both the Golf and Jetta forums
(http://devforums2.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4771915 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=440031&page=2) as well as the question about it on my Consumer Reports survey indicates that my situation was hardly unique. From what posters on the other forums have experienced, subsequent oil consumption went down, indicating that it's probably ordinary break-in for this engine, and I'm inclined to agree. I checked my oil this afternoon at just under 10,000 miles since the last change and it's down about half a quart. And, since the performance and fuel economy are noticeably better, I'm chalking it all up to break-in, for now. According to other posters, the VW spec says one quart per 1200 miles is the limit so I am a long way from getting my knickers in a knot over it.

The thing I try to keep in mind is that on this side of the Atlantic a diesel car is a fairly rare beast, fawned over by a small band of enthusiasts (like yours truly) who obsess over every little quirk on forums like this, while on the other side of the pond, it's just another car, driven every day by maybe 10 million European housewives who never give it a second thought. As far as I know, they're doing just fine.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The thing I try to keep in mind is that on this side of the Atlantic a diesel car is a fairly rare beast, fawned over by a small band of enthusiasts (like yours truly) who obsess over every little quirk on forums like this, while on the other side of the pond, it's just another car, driven every day by maybe 10 million European housewives who never give it a second thought. As far as I know, they're doing just fine.
One of the most true and accurate things I have read... Well best of luck with the car and I hope your oil consumption disappears

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Like most other posters, I have never had a car before that burned a noticeable amount of oil, so I about went into cardiac arrest when the low oil light came on 1000-2000 miles shy of the 15, 000 miles service. When I checked the dipstick it was indeed dry, so on the advice of the Audi dealer, I put in a quart of oil and went on my way.
Sounds like you never checked the oil level in the interim. One other thing to consider is that its always possible that when the 5K service was done, they didn't fully fill the oil. Could easily have started a 1/2 quart or more down. Regardless, your current consumption is excellent. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

Well said!

ChinaBob

TDI
Sounds like you never checked the oil level in the interim. One other thing to consider is that its always possible that when the 5K service was done, they didn't fully fill the oil. Could easily have started a 1/2 quart or more down.
Yup, you got me! When I got this car I promised myself that I'd just drive it and enjoy it, take it in every 10k for its maintenance and never even pop the hood. I've fallen down three times: twice when the oil light came on, to check the actual oil level and to put the quart in, and just the other day to report on the oil level for this forum. Can I resist the temptation to check it again on Monday after its 25k service?

Also considered that the dealer who did the 5k service might not have gotten it full. Quite possible, especially given the confusion reported on other forums over the oil capacity of this engine and even the proper length of the dip stick!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yup, you got me! When I got this car I promised myself that I'd just drive it and enjoy it, take it in every 10k for its maintenance and never even pop the hood........
I thought part of owning a car is checking the oil level once every 1,000 miles or so. (Or every other fill up)

At least that way you don't end up surprised if something is amiss and you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

You can still enjoy the car. But ignoring the basics can come back and bite you, which in turn makes for a not so happy experience.

ChinaBob

TDI
Mea Culpa - I lied a little bit when I said that there'd been absolutely no problems with my 2015 A3 as of 25,000 miles. Truth is, I'd forgotten all about it until it happened again the other day. A warning message flashed up on the MMI: Audi side assist currently unavailable. No sensor vision

Sure enough, the side assist had stopped working for no apparent reason. Checking some other Audi forums, this seems to be an occasional problem with other models, too. When I mentioned it to the dealer at the 25K service, he looked into it and as it was working again and hadn't thrown any codes there wasn't much he could do about it.

The workaround is simple: select Menu > Car > Driver Assistance > Audi Side Assist. (If it's grayed out, turn the ignition off and then back on again.) You'll find that the brightness level has mysteriously been set to Off. Turn it back on again by setting it to the desired brightness level and you're good to go.