help with passenger side mirror (New Beetle TDI 2002)

Rachel_E

TDI
New Beetle, 2002, white
long time no see, TDI forum! hope you have all been well. :)

on monday, when i left work, i discovered that someone had vandalized my passenger side mirror. it looks like they forced the whole housing forward, and then grabbed the bottom right corner of the mirror and pulled it until it came WAY too far forward and off the mount. in the process, it shattered.

i'm trying to figure out what is likely broken and what parts i'll need to fix it. i'm doubting that it's going to exceed my deductible ($500) but looking to estimate the cost myself.

i know that something is wrong where the mirror surround (is that the housing?) mounts to the car. the surround has been pushed forward and when the door is opened/closed something is catching there.

i also know that something is broken related to the mounting, the stuff inside the surround. is that the housing assembly? the mirror will clip back into the mounting, and the motor is still working, but the mirror can't move properly. i haven't tried to force the mirror back into the proper position, for fear of breaking something else.

what i don't know is what parts i need, the proper terms and what else might be broken that i haven't thought of.

i'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. thanks!

here's some pictures of the damage. you can click on them to get a bigger version.

this is the overall view:

here you'll notice that the majority of the cracking on the mirror (along with some missing glass) is all focused around the bottom right "corner" of the mirror. this is where i believe someone grabbed the mirror to rip it out of the housing, thus causing all the cracks from the stress on the mirror.:

i put the mirror back where it should have been attached and took this picture. the mirror is about 4" or so forward from the mirror housing which could only happen if someone pulled the mirror out by hand or with a tool. the mirror does not go into this position by adjusting it, and it couldn't happen accidentally, because you'd have to get under the mirror to grab it.:

this shows how the mirror, when i put it back on the mounting extends about 1" over the housing, which is impossible to do when adjusting the mirror. again, it could only happen by force pulling the mirror out on the other side past the limits of the adjustment mechanism.:

if you notice here, the white housing for the mirror has been pushed forward, toward the front of the car and is about 1" or so out of place. that could have been an accident, caused by a car or body running in to it.: