'04 PD EGR pipe/cooler issues

Bomber2k9

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
A few months ago, I've had a high pitched whistle coming from the engine bay. It turned out to be the EGR pipe had burst, and I had it replaced.

Now it's burst again. Could this be a symptom of something else? Clogged intake maybe?

I'd like to know what it is because it's really annoying hearing the whistle under acceleration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If it's burst it's most likely been damaged fitting or was a faulty replacement, I mean it's a fairly sturdy piece of pipe and it's connected from the manifold to the egr both of which don't move seperate of each other, could it be just leaking at the joint and needing tightened up?

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
you either recieved a cracked pipe, or cracked it on install....or the supporting bracket for the EGR cooler is missing which allows for vibration which in turn cracks the pipe. Which one did you R&R? (lower or upper)

search for EGR bracket, somonee else mentioned this before and posted pics of what it looks like and wehre it installs

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
OP is from CA with very strict emissions laws.

Replace the pipe and make sure the cooler isn't broken and the bracketry is in place.

Bomber2k9

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
It was the pipe which was replaced (the flex fitting burst), and it was fine for 2-3 months before it burst again.

The repair shop that replaced it does well on all of our other vehicles (Kansas Auto in Modesto).

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Many of us have had the same experience. Did you ever have the EGR cooler recall done? If so, do you know that all brackets and fasteners are in place and the proper tightening sequence was followed? You might also ask your current mechanic to carefully check for all fasteners and brackets, loosen everything up and tighten it back in the specified sequence. Do a bit of searching and you will find it has been a common problem for PDs to break pipes, in my case the lower one. I now stay on top of it by verifying all fasteners are still snug every 20k miles. No more problems, yet. Good luck.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
remove it, block it off and be done with it.
If you do that, you are going to have a CEL and that will instantly fail most emission tests.Only way to get around it is with a $350+ chip tune.How about fixing it properly so it does not break again?

It was the pipe which was replaced (the flex fitting burst), and it was fine for 2-3 months before it burst again.

The repair shop that replaced it does well on all of our other vehicles (Kansas Auto in Modesto).
Are they following the correct procedure outlined in the VW TSB and Bentley manual?

I would bet they are either not installing the bracket and/or not tightening things in the proper sequence and/or leaving bolts out.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
If you do that, you are going to have a CEL and that will instantly fail most emission tests.Only way to get around it is with a $350+ chip tune.How about fixing it properly so it does not break again?
then get a tune:p it is worth it.