Difficult to engage first gear

triclopsrobot

TDI
2004 New Beetle 1.9tdi
Hi all, I recently bought a very tidy 2004 New Beetle 1.9 tdi. After noticing a bit of knocking and grinding I took it back to the garage and they fitted a replacement gearbox (the bearings had gone) and new clutch. The scary noises have now completely gone and it's driving really smooth but the only problem is I occasionally have difficulty getting into 1st gear. It's resisting going in rather than crunching or popping out of gear, usually at stop signals when I am in more of a rush to find the gear.
It's not every time, just occasionally, I try and fail to put it into gear, go back to neutral, let out the clutch then try again and it goes in.
I'm guessing the clutch might need adjusting? Is that a big job and if I don't get it fixed right away will it get worse? I'm supposed to be driving off on holiday this weekend and don't want to risk it if it's potentially going to break down.
Cheers for any advice.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
There is no adjustment provided. Is the engagement point of the pedal very close to the floor? Does it grind going in to reverse? If so, it could be the clutch...Sometimes when the flywheel gets machined (if it did), that puts the clutch assembly that much further in towards the engine, requiring a corresponding extra bit of release bearing travel to dis-engage the clutch. The engagement point will likely rise a bit with wear.

Or it could simply be a shift linkage mis-adjustment...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Or just not adjusted properly after the transmission swap. Have it adjusted again. Hard to find 1st gear is a classic problem.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I always thought recalcitrant 1st gears were a VW thing. Every VW I've owned (1 Mk3, 2 Mk4) had it, and the 98 NB (02A) my friend has that I drove around the block to keep the brakes ok while he was on vacation also was the same. In mine, I can get it on a roll if I hit the revs perfectly double-clutching, otherwise it feels like it's hitting a wall (and this is at 20 km/h). At a dead stop from N it sometimes feels forced if I don't select 2nd to stop the input shaft, then select 1st. This is with both stock and dieselgeek SS, both adjusted properly. The prior Mk4 I had from new may have been slightly better, but hard to say, because actually timing the heel-toe on that car was hard. The throttle algorithm was deliberately ultra-muted and had a one second delay (to blip it you had to fully FLOOR the throttle pedal for 1/4 sec, then 3/4 sec later hit the clutch and shift anticipating the engine RPM finally reacting to the pedal input).

triclopsrobot

TDI
2004 New Beetle 1.9tdi
Thanks all, I'll take it into the trusty local Veedub garage and get them to have a look. Yes, at the moment the engagement point is really close to the floor, doesn't seem to grind going into reverse.

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White
I tried "upgrading" my 5 spd transmission lube from factory to Redline Synthetic and only then did my 2000 VW Golf TDI have a heck of a time getting into 1st: ESPECIALLY WHEN COLD OR 1ST START OF THE DAY. I changed back to VW factory lube and NO PROBLEMS.

Hope this helps someone...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thanks all, I'll take it into the trusty local Veedub garage and get them to have a look. Yes, at the moment the engagement point is really close to the floor, doesn't seem to grind going into reverse.
Have the shop top off the reservour and bleed the clutch. The clutch tap on the side of the Reservour isn't very far down and air can get into the clutch circuit easily if the level is low.

Last edited:

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
I tried "upgrading" my 5 spd transmission lube from factory to Redline Synthetic and only then did my 2000 VW Golf TDI have a heck of a time getting into 1st: ESPECIALLY WHEN COLD OR 1ST START OF THE DAY. I changed back to VW factory lube and NO PROBLEMS.

Hope this helps someone...
Conversely, I had a '00 5sp which almost couldn't engage 1st when hot or cold. New VW fluid made no difference at all. Changing to GM Friction Modified Synchromesh almost instantly fixed the problems entirely.

I guess the answer is to try a few and see what works :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Mine does that. Feels exactly like a clutch that isn't disengaging all the way. I'm thinking it is the DMF flopping around and dragging on the friction disc.

Just ignoring it for now. Gonna dump in some of that new real thin honda mtf next time I've got it in the air.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
[486]

Does the car start to move as soon as you start to lift your foot, bringing the clutch pedal up? Does the pedal feel mushy at the top? Using your hand for better feel.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
[486]

Does the car start to move as soon as you start to lift your foot, bringing the clutch pedal up? Does the pedal feel mushy at the top? Using your hand for better feel.
Clutch's always been a bit mushy, otherwise clutch engages in a normal location and holds strong yet.

I just realized that while the DMF flops around a lot out of the car, the throwout bearing will press the parts into alignment.

Must just be catching on the synchro or something.