Coil Springs Struts and Shock replacement - good options

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
[Mk4 Golf - 200k]
The passenger side coil spring snapped about a 4 inch piece from the bottom.

The I'm looking at replacing the coil springs with something just as soft as stock, or even softer. Not firmer.
The current ride is a bit firm i would say - maybe it's just firmer because the current setup has ran its lifespan. To my knowledge everything suspension wise is original. Had the car for 100k.
Any suggestions for a place to get the springs from? Should I replace the struts/shocks too? The dealer says that the struts are made for the lifetime of the vehicle and shouldn't be replaced ...
If not a place to buy them from, what kind of struts/springs to go for. The OEM strut/spring combo from the dealer would be around 1400 (350 per wheel).
I was looking at the Bilstein TCs, but those claim they are a bit firmer than stock. Not sure i like the sound of that.
(Any threads with directions on shock/spring replacement for the rear?)

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
I got 2 yellows/1 pink on the front coils now. I can't see the back ones. Is 3 yellows/1 pink softer or stiffer?

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
"Lifetime Struts" - first time I hear that.
I had the same thing happened on my Golf. It's not unheard off.
You can get the stock springs from a dealer or any reputable vendors listed on this forum.
Some store will sell you a 'quick strut' (pre-installed spring on new strut). Usually these will have stock feel.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
"Lifetime Struts" - first time I hear that.
I had the same thing happened on my Golf. It's not unheard off.
You can get the stock springs from a dealer or any reputable vendors listed on this forum.
Some store will sell you a 'quick strut' (pre-installed spring on new strut). Usually these will have stock feel.
Yeah - they said unless they leak or there's a problem they should not need replaced as regular maintenance. I realize that's a bit hard to believe myself.

Right. I did some quick struts in my day. I'm just not sure if i'll run the same risk with these that i did with the CV axles we got at the parts store and have to redo them before too long.

Autozone doesn't sell the springs or the struts for this. Advance Auto doesn't have the coils at all either - quick strut or separate. Just the struts themselves.

bollweevil

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle tdi
I replaced my rear shocks/springs. KYB shock is oem, I believe. Springs were wrong, bought from Partsgeek.com and incorrect springs were only problem I've ever had with them. They have strut/spring assembly for my Beetle tdi, advertise as stock oem. I would check them out. I was going to order front, but haven't as yet. Think price was about half the dealer - $ 175 per - Your springs look real rusted, so whole assembly probably way to go and labor easier. Spring compressors can be dangerous

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Where to get the springs from ... quite a few sites out there don't even have the back ones.

jjohnny

TDI
mk IV golf tdi
Another option for a good price would be someone getting new suspension, lowered springs, or coilovers that dont want there stock ones anymore. This would most likely be pretty cheap. I would check the classifieds here or on the vortex. Locally as well, you might have luck.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Based on what the dealer says - I need
1J0411105AG for the front (2 yellow 1 violet)

and the rear - 2 options (not sure which one to choose since the dealer even with the vin couldn't tell me which one
1J0511115AR (2 brown/1 silver)
1J0511115AS (3 brown/1 silver)

Based on this chart, the more marks (3 yellows instead of 2) the less weight it can carry. This chart also does not include the rear ratings.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Anyone have any experience with KYBs? How would these compare to the Blausports? A local store sells these and says that the KYBs are German owned and make a top shelf product.

The other thing is that the blausports (strut/shock kit) includes mounts, bearings, bump stops, sleeves, etc. I'm not sure if the KYB comes with those or would i have to start researching and finding the right stuff for them.
Amazon sells the KYBs for the front around $60 a piece.

texcross

TDI
Jetta
To me they seem almost exact as far as quality. To me with these 2 as an option I would go for the cheaper just to save some money.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Blauparts - Blausports

I've been quite intrigued by the fact that Blauparts includes everything needed for a strut/shock replacement in one kit. However i'm still surprised they would not release more information about this themselves.

Other than a reseller website and a youtube video with a spinning jetta (that supposedly has these struts installed) there's very little information available directly from them.

I'm a bit skeptical, even though there are folks out there that tested their products and seem to have been convinced by their quality.

When i called them and asked them for specifics on their manufacturing, the rep told me she doesn't have that info - and gave me some similar items that are on the market that these could be compared to Bilstein Touring Class, or KYB EXCEL-G.
People online are saying these might be produced by KYB ... some getting KYB labeled instructions. Who knows. I've also read some good things about their shipping speed.

Based on what i read online they seem to be reliable - i just wish they wouldn't be so secretive about their product manufacturing.

Still gotta find a good source for coil springs that match up on the rating that i currently have.

Is there a way to get softer suspension but still have the weight capacity of the current setup? I could really use a softer ride compared to what i have now, but who knows maybe that's because the shocks/struts/springs are worn out? Not sure.

Someone also said online that after about a week or so of thinking the blauparts were too stiff, the feel softened and now he's loving them.

Hard to decide what to do.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
There seems to be a sale going on ... both blauparts and IDparts are reducing their kits.

Here's some calculations on a full set of shocks/struts + springs all the way around.

IDPARTS:
$319.95 (Bilstein TC) +
Front Strut Mount Kit - 16.95 x 2
Strut Mount Top Nut (A4) - 8.20 x 2
Rear Shock Mount (A4) - 16.95 x 2
Strut Bump Stop (A4) - 9.95 x 2
Shock Bump Stop (A4) - 12.95 x 2
Complete Suspension Bolt Set Struts and Shocks (A4) - 32.95

319.95+33.9+33.9+19.9+25.9+32.95 (excluding top nuts)
TOTAL: $463.5

BLAUPARTS:
263.95 (shock/strut with all hardware included) kit + 128 in springs from IDParts (with shipping)
TOTAL: $391.95

Anyone have strong preference for Bilstein over the Blauparts? If so why? seems like the cost difference is around $60, and going the IDParts way we would have to piece all the components together in an order hoping we'll get everything that the Blauparts kit claims it has pretty much everything it needs.

IDparts kit - shocks/struts - excluding springs
vs
Blauparts kit that includes all necessary hardware, accessories except the springs

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Go the Bilstein route. They have a better performance reputation. They are German, too. Sounds better from both perspectives, to me. I am loving my Bilsteins.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Blau is doing an additional 10 percent off on their kit....

Just ordered it....I will post up with how it goes.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Blauparts - how did you decide on those?

Blau is doing an additional 10 percent off on their kit.... Just ordered it....I will post up with how it goes.
Right - the 10% off is what i was listing on the page $263 for the kit + the IDParts springs, bringing the total of blauparts kit with springs to $391.

How did you decide on getting the Blauparts and not others? Price?
In all fairness i don't think i've heard anyone speak negatively about the blauparts suspension.

The one comment i read on here seemed to talk about the suspension being relatively stiff at the beginning, but gave in after about a week - or maybe the driver just got used to it.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Blau is doing an additional 10 percent off on their kit.... Just ordered it....I will post up with how it goes.
Did you get the coil springs replacements also? If so - where from?

I read that Blauparts is great with shipping. Maybe you'll have the same experience.

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
I used this kit on my 03 wagon. Perfectly serviceable stock type kit. Picked up a tad over an inch of clearance, as my "lifetime" struts were totally shot.:eek:
Used bilstien TCs on my sedan, also a good oem setup.
I'm with you on the lifetime ;) struts ... i didn't know what to make of that when i was told that by the dealer.
How did you decide between one or the other? Or did you want to compare them? How do they compare?
If you had one more car to do - which set would you go with and why? Did you find any KYB references in the blauparts paperwork? I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the blauparts as they don't give out too many details about the manufacturing process.
Are the Bilstein's quite a bit better?
You didn't replace any springs did you? So that over 1" of height you got from just the strut replacements, right?
Sorry about the barrage of questions. Got lots it seems :)

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
I used this kit on my 03 wagon. Perfectly serviceable stock type kit. Picked up a tad over an inch of clearance, as my "lifetime" struts were totally shot.:eek:
merk, did you use your stock springs as well? I'd like to use this kit, but I also want to find a way to lower the car by 3/4" or so

Last edited:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Right - the 10% off is what i was listing on the page $263 for the kit + the IDParts springs, bringing the total of blauparts kit with springs to $391.
How did you decide on getting the Blauparts and not others? Price?
In all fairness i don't think i've heard anyone speak negatively about the blauparts suspension.
I'm not the guy you asked, but I too just ordered the Blauparts kit for my Jetta which is due to arrive tomorrow.

I decided to give their kit a try over the Bilstein TCs for a couple reasons. The first is that the Bilstein TC are low end struts. If I was 'doing it right' I'd be getting the Koni FSD set. The Bilsteins with all the hardware were going to cost about $100 more for a marginally better strut. I live in AZ so road salt / corrosion / etc isn't a factor. I plan to hit these with a fresh coat of flat black so the blue doesn't stand out looking at the car. Most people seem happy with the kit both here and on some Audi / BMW forums. My car is a driver, not even a part time track car so ultimate road handing isn't my primary concern.

I bought my car with 140k on it and it's currently at 206k with the original suspension. No matter what I do it will be an improvement :D

FWIW, I bought Moog springs at Rock Auto very cheap. I am just replacing my fronts and I elected to get VR6 springs. They cost me $37.76 shipped.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I might scrape a little paint on the blue Blaupart shock / struts and see what color they are underneath....wouldn't tell one where they came from?

BEEnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Blauparts reasons and Rock Auto springs

... The first is that the Bilstein TC are low end struts. If I was 'doing it right' I'd be getting the Koni FSD set. The Bilsteins with all the hardware were going to cost about $100 more for a marginally better strut ... I bought my car with 140k on it and it's currently at 206k with the original suspension. ...
FWIW, I bought Moog springs at Rock Auto very cheap. I am just replacing my fronts and I elected to get VR6 springs. They cost me $37.76 shipped.
Thanks for the intel on this - i'm like you - i've had the car for around 100k and it's currently around 200k and i don't think the suspension has had any parts replaced. That's probably why even the springs are starting to rust.
I'm in Ohio, so salt/snow/freezing is def a factor.
I'm also considering the Blauparts because of cost and because i don't think i've read one review that was negative. Sometimes that makes me wonder if the posts are somehow put up by the company to jack up their own reviews.
I'll have to give those spring sets at Rock Auto an eyeball - do you figure those compare with what IDParts offers at $60 a set? Would these that Rock Auto sells be close to factory stock? I'm def not looking at lowering the vehicle. More height maybe.
Thanks.

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I went with the Koni Reds front and rear, all new hardware, and new springs in the rear for the same reason you have to (chunk broke off). Reused the front coils. Nice ride again (after 200k) over the "life time struts" (haha).

Like you, there are sometimes to many choices for just a suspension change! Good luck.