Radio Not Working After Battery Replacement

joels4x4

TDI
2006 VW Jetta
I recently replaced the battery on my 2006 Jetta and now the radio is not working. Checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood and all are ok. Does the radio have another fuse on the radio itself? Anyone else had this issue before? Thanks in advance.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I recently replaced the battery on my 2006 Jetta and now the radio is not working. Checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood and all are ok. Does the radio have another fuse on the radio itself? Anyone else had this issue before? Thanks in advance.
Yes, there is a fuse on the back of the radio unit. I had a double DIN unit die from just such a battery change. There was no mishap in the battery change and no fuses were blown or anything else affected. Couldn't explain/solve it, other than a new radio, which was the best thing for the sound system anyways.

velvetassassin96

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta Tdi - the HULK
Is it a stock radio?

And when you say radio does not work, do you mean it does not power on? Or are you seeing the SAFE MODE? Usually the radio gets put in safe mode when the car battery is unplugged/changed.

I don't know about for 2006 vw, but for most mk3's and mk4s,you have to put in a 4 digit code to get out of the safe mode. You can usually find that code from any dealer with your serial number?

Hope this helps :p

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Safe mode should auto reset in MKIV after '01 if its the factory installed unit. If its been replaced/changed then you need the radio code to get out of SAFE mode. You need the radio serial # and (usually) your car's VIN # and a coopertive dealer to give you the code.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
My 2000 NB radio comes back on it's own after a battery replacement. No code required.
It is the stock radio. Will have to see what happens now that I'm a 5 Speed manual instead of an O1M...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 2000 NB radio comes back on it's own after a battery replacement. No code required.
It is the stock radio. Will have to see what happens now that I'm a 5 Speed manual instead of an O1M...
My 2000 Jetta wouldn't come out of SAFE mode on its own, but the '01 and '03 does, just as the owner's manual says the radio is "happy".
Your tranny change shouldn't affect the radio unless possibly it was a requirement to change out the ECU-then maybe. You should be seeing a nice increase in the mpgs, regardless.

joels4x4

TDI
2006 VW Jetta
My radio does not come on at all. When I turn the headlights on, the radio lights (dials, numbers, etc.) should come on even if the radio is off, but that is not the case. For some reason it looks like there is no power at all to the radio itself. I am going to remove the radio and check the fuse behind the radio as jettawreck suggested. Hopefully the fuse is all it needs.