Cracked/exposed wires in Headlight housing

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Automatic !
I removed my headlamp housings to replaced the plastic lens with glass, and decided to replace the bulbs while everything was accessible.

I found a few cracked and exposed wires inside the housing.

Do you think good electrical tape be enough to fix, or does it gets too hot in the housing? Suggestions :confused: Slice some heat shrink ?

(2005 Golf MK4 GLS TDI)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
From the photo, the insulation does not look overheated. and the wire conductors do not look damaged.

I would put some good quality tape on em, and be careful not to pinch putting it all back together.

You cannot slice heat shrink, kind of defeats the purpose. would have to pull the pin from a connector on one end or the other, or cut and splice.

I think the tape will be fine.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
If you can unclip the wires from their harnesses, then I would go with the heat shrink. Had to do this to my EGR wiring due to rodent damage.

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately, I don't have the proper terminal release tools to get the connectors out of their housings, so it'll probably be tape, then.

Wires are not over-heated, btw, I've never used anything but stock DOT bulbs; it's just the soooooper high-quality wires VW used :rolleyes:.... Vehicle only has 77K miles on it.

Sheesh, I've got 40-year-old Toyota Land Cruisers with better condition engine-compartment wire than this thing. Iloveit, Ihateit. :mad:

Thanks!

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks like it was cut/stretched. Might have been pinched in the housing somehow.
No, it just cracked and broke when I removed the cover to access the bulbs. First time that cover has ever been removed, to access the high beam bulb. I know 'cuz I do all the work on my cars. :(

... Unless it was pinched at the factory, but I don't think so.

This is just very poor quality insulation on the wire.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Wish I had saved the wiring from my OEM HL's. I would have liked to have given them to somebody in need.

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
Wish I had saved the wiring from my OEM HL's. I would have liked to have given them to somebody in need.
Me, too. :(

Anyway, I just used some tape and I'm remounting the housings today. It was only on one side. The other side, wires were fine...

Thanks anyway!

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I used this kit as my insulation on my wires were cracked. I saw it on one side but both sides were in bad shape. This is a great kit ! Heavy duty wire. Nice.

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the links - I saw these earlier, but after I had already repaired and reinstalled the housings... But I suspect I'll prolly have to replace them anyway, somewhere down the line, as the insulation on those wires is like brittle wax.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Go to the auto parts store and buy some liquid electrical tape, it is perfect for this application. This is what I am talking about..Mark