EGR Weeping Oil - From Where???

Brock Lee

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I don't post often, but have a question. Like many others, my ALH (252K miles) is weeping oil from the EGR weep hole (I guess that's why it's called that :p), but in looking at the manual, there's no oil connection to anywhere in the EGR plumbing.

So where's that oil coming from???

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Brock

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
The oil is coming from the crank case vent which injects oily mist just after the MAF sensor and before the turbo. There is a constant oily mist inside the intake tract. A worn EGR valve shaft provides a tiny boost leak, where that oily mist can leak out and make a mess.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As NarfBlast explained..... However, it's not as much the shaft but the seal. Neither the seal or the shaft is serviceable. The cure is to replace the EGR. Or, just give the engine a good cleaning periodically.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Ditto the above. And I'll add- leaking oil from the EGR valve can travel a long way. On my 02, oil ran along the entire rear edge of the valve cover and down near where the engine and trans mate- I thought I had a rear main seal leak.