1Z motor swapped into 4x4(i.e. Suzuki, Toyota); how to tune?

gruppe_a

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Golf
What would be a strategy for tuning the 1Z TDI for max low end torque, say for a "rock-crawler" application? All the regular stuff, chip, nozzles, etc? Any stuff to stay away from... bigger turbo? Want to pump her up without losing anything on the low end...

Any concerns with operating this motor at extreme angles? Upside down? :D

Thanks!

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
Hey is it snowing in lake tahoe? Sorry i dont know the answer to your question but its sounds like a great idea for rock crawling

gruppe_a

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Golf
Ha! Lots more general info on the net for adaptors & stuff to get IDI/TDI motors into such vehicles, I've just been wondering if there's a different approach to the tuning...

Not much snow yet... last storm was mostly rain 7500 feet & below... :(

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
As far as angles go: you should consider some sort of reinforced baffled oil pan. The aluminum one breaks to easily and might starve the oil pump at extreme angles. Dry sump maybe?

Consider adding another feed pump for the fuel. The one inside the injection pump is barely adequate as it is.

Consider a vnt-15 turbo for better low-end torque and faster response.

Sounds like a fun project.:cool:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
1Z has a stamped-steel oil pan :) But reinforcement around it is still smart.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I'd say leave the engine more or less alone.

For the application you intend for this vehicle, I would focus your efforts and resources on changing the gear ratios and doing anything to strengthen the driveline. I assume you will be using a Suzuki or Toyota tranny, and I have serious doubts if either would be up to the task of handling the TDI engine's torque over the long-term, even in stock- or mildly-tuned form, to speak nothing of a heavily modded one. Almost certainly the gear ratios are completely wrong for the TDI (high-revving, small-displacement Japanese gasser engine vs TDI, which is pretty much the opposite in every conceivable way).

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
There's already a guy on Pirate4x4 that has a samurai with a CAT diesel in there (screenname oilburner). His problem is that the power band just isn't broad enough. It's a great rock crawler, but the gearing is too low for mud. He also has a problem that the cat is much heavier than the VW diesel. I think a TDI engine would be much better choice. The diesels are a much simpler engine.

I'm sure if my brother can run a Toy with 39" tires and a 119Hp engine, you'd be fine with a VW diesel with much more torque than he's running.

You should know that you're in for a lot of custom fabrication and all. Adapting that engine and clutch to a transfer case may be an issue and may require custom machining.

gruppe_a

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Golf
Good stuff guys! I'd heard a VNT turbo was tough to put on an early TDI but I'll dig around in here further. And I seem to recall that maybe it also interfered with either the mk2 motor mount or the syncro drivetrain...

Last edited:

gruppe_a

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Golf
Whoops, the cat's out of the bag now. Ok, "rockcrawler" is a bit of a stretch, but it should still do some pretty cool stuff with Peloquin diffs front & rear...

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
You'll want a full locker to do anything serious at all.

also, you will have to see how well a TDI responds to low oil pressure. Many guys have blown up 7MGTE engines out of supras because they don't deal well with low oil pressure. Depending on how much you want to spend, this can be dealt with though.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Let's hope you don't have that engine upside down:eek:. I don't think that car of yours has a exterior roll cage.

Kerma is right, using an in-tank pump to assist the main lift pump in the IP is a good thing, you could even add a bypass and a cooler if your really looking to jazz things up with an 11mm pump head and such... The VNT vs. wastgate issue really isn't worth the work required to put it together from what i've read about it. I haven't seen a comprehensive parts list but you would need a new turbo, ECM, and N75 valve at the minimum and all you would really gain is a little off-idle torque response unless of course you went with a VNT-17 or bigger which probably wouldn't work with the rockcrawler concept anyways.

I can't wait to see that badboy all finished!

gruppe_a

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Golf
Oh, it'll be serious alright... for a Golf! The ATB diffs should do ok, at least until a tire's in the air.

Since this car is going from gas to diesel, why not leave in the fuel pump that's already in there? Seems like I'd already have a leg up in that dept...

Just ordered an aftermarket oil pan from Black Forest Ind., apparently it's a bit stouter than OEM. I'll play around with the baffleage later, good idea. Pivoting pickup for the oil pump?

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
You may as well take the whole engine/electronics/fuel system and just have an adaptor made to mate the tranny to the Suzuki transfer case. I would recommend swapping out the transfer case for a toy case (or stronger) and swap with some 8" toy axles (at least) though since you're going to be pushing more torque... probably more than the zuki stuff can handle and you're basically just keeping the zuki body anyways.

If you're doing anything serious at all, I'd recommend a full cage too... dents in the right part of the roof and right by the doorsills make doors not fit... ask me how I know...

Last edited:

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
if this is going into a Suzuki, I'd be worried about the torque - I've had two of them, and though they're amazingly capable with nothing other than +2 tire sizes on stock, the driveshafts are about as thick as my finger!

Love the idea though - if my gasser 'zukis got 30mpg the TDI should do a lot better.

Low oil pressure - don't they have a pressurized oil canister for race cars to protect the motor if pressure drops? That can also be used as a preluber? Think those are super simple installs.

Skidplate - custom all the way! you want that sucker to be able to break rocks, not deflect them....cars don't usually have to deal with dropping their full weight onto a big rock, trucks do all the time when they hit ruts or mud with hidden hazards in it.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
I'll just be blunt and say it now:

if he's thinking at all of leaving any of the stock drivetrain, he'll have more time in the shop instead of on the trails. What you're talking of, and what you should do anyways, is just using the zuki body and frame and nothing else original...