Static timing set, IP timing still too retarded

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Here's the short of it for now, Ill tell the back story later..

Set static timing, everything is good and set with the necessary tools. IP timing pin set at approx. 1 o'clock and lined up visually with the pump as shown in other threads.

Here is the problem, with static timing set, IP timing is still too retarded. Even with full glow due to CTS disconnect, it will be hard to start and not run all the time. Lots of fuel smoke, and when running will shut down after revving. Will not start at all with CTS connected. ASV is clean and functional. Fuel shutoff solenoid replaced not too long ago. I'm tempted to advance the IP gear one tooth and see what happens. Thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So, what are you saying, you cannot adjust the pump timing enough to get it in spec? What engine is this on?

KROUT

persona non grata
sounds like the t-belt might be slightly off. If you dont have the injection pump pulley centered in the adjustable slots after tensioning the timing belt you can end up with this problem.
Sounds like you have the pump adjusted as far as it will go right?

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Krout, your statement made me think of something... so I took the belt off with the timing tools in, spun the IP gear back so that the slot was centered, and put it all back together.. and now it starts and runs great.

One small peculiar development, in measuring block 00 IP timing is registering where it should be.. 55-65 range. Switch to the graph and it jumps off the scale. I have been retarding it little by little but thought the discrepancy was strange....

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
evolveVW said:
Krout, your statement made me think of something... so I took the belt off with the timing tools in, spun the IP gear back so that the slot was centered, and put it all back together.. and now it starts and runs great.

One small peculiar development, in measuring block 00 IP timing is registering where it should be.. 55-65 range. Switch to the graph and it jumps off the scale. I have been retarding it little by little but thought the discrepancy was strange....
That makes no sense. If the pin was aligned in both cases then the timing was the same.

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Yes, but it gave me adjustment to work with. I just set it back to about where it was before i moved the IP gear and it wouldnt start.

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
evolveVW said:
Are you checking the timing in basic settings?

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Yes sir, block 00 was reading 50-60, basic settings went up to 120s the first time, 255 the second. Drove the car for a bit, checked three times, and is reading in the 60s in Basic and on the graph.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Something is missing here... are you SURE you had the pin in the locator hole on the IP when you set your static?? If it was, you should be within range so when you go to basic settings and check the timing graph, it should read within the chart somewhere, not 120-255 as you describe (or I think you are). Something's not adding up.

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Yes I am sure the pin was in the correct place. If the pump was vertical it would have been right at 12 o clock. I visually verified it as well.

As for the Block 00 vs basic setting/TDI Graph numbers discrepancy, I'm with you. Makes absolutely no sense. Everything is good now, car starts and runs great. Before I took the belt off and moved the IP pulley back with the timing pin holding the pump in place, when I did have it running timing was well below the lowest line on the graph. It didnt make sense to me either.