MN Chat Thread

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Well an update to the dyno event!

S&S performance isn't going to work!!

The event will be moved to MAP (modern automotive performance), same weekend. We'll be sharing the space with MAPs Mitsubishi dyno day

Floor-it diesel will bring their dyno dynamics load dyno for the trucks. The TDI route can go either way, map or floorit's dyno depending on the amount if folks signing up.

There are small changes needed to run FWD on the portable floor it dyno. The more that sign up on midwestdieselconnection site the more structure well know to implement for the vehicles!

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Anyone have a borescope that's small enough to run the intake runners in the head?

I'm going to pop the intake off again and scrape out the intake with the valves closed this weekend. I'd love to have a camera confirm it's clear.

There are a few $200 scopes at northern tool at 12mm

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Anyone have a borescope that's small enough to run the intake runners in the head?

I'm going to pop the intake off again and scrape out the intake with the valves closed this weekend. I'd love to have a camera confirm it's clear.

There are a few $200 scopes at northern tool at 12mm
Just take off the cam cover and turn it until all the intake lobes are up though I think that may be never. :)

rsewill

TDI
'03 Jetta automatic '04 Passat wagon
Just a followup for those interested in the cost of a new key for my '04 Passat from Eich Motors in St Cloud (I only had one key plus a valet key):

Labor: $49.95
Key: $60.00
Transmitter: $75.00
Total: $184.95

I also had them screw on a new antenna to replace the old, wounded one:

Labor: $4.65
Mast: $34.20

They also replaced the passenger side seat heater switch under a recall for no charge.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Wow rsweill, sounds like Eich might be a halfway respectable dealer (which would be a major compliment to any dealer) based on those prices.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
transmission work

I'm looking for a good shop in the Twin Cities area to install an LSD & 5th gear set. Does any one have suggestions?

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
I'm looking for a good shop in the Twin Cities area to install an LSD & 5th gear set. Does any one have suggestions?
From what I have heard SCI does quality work, but I am sure Further would as well.

Richard, The transmissions are not very complex in these. Given all of the right parts I could have this done for you.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I have heard SCI does quality work, but I am sure Further would as well.

Richard, The transmissions are not very complex in these. Given all of the right parts I could have this done for you.
I may take you up on that.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
further has done more then LSD installs including full custom transmission builds (they do have a 03 GTI with a 3.2 R32 engine with turbo running on an 02J 5-speed FWD).

If you have the time and patience to do it it's not a hard install.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the information. I'm not familiar with either Further or SCI but I should probably check them out. Time is of concern & after "helping" Nick with my clutch, I'd rather not remove the transmission myself.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
further is a great group of guys they do some absolutely crazy builds. SCI is more of a maintenance shop they do a lot more of the mk1-4. Either will do a good job.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
further is a great group of guys they do some absolutely crazy builds. SCI is more of a maintenance shop they do a lot more of the mk1-4. Either will do a good job.
Where are they?

OK, I found them both. SCI is just a couple of miles from my old house but both are within easy reach for me.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Urgent request

Does anybody have an intermediate shaft woodruff key for a 1z/ahu? Pulled the pulley off of the b5 tdi and NO KEY. OR does anybody have any info on the size so I can source at the hardware store?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I had the information for you but alas, I'm ignorant. Do you by chance know about the push in fasteners used on the air intake snorkel? The ones that hold the back flat plastic piece to the radiator frame. Are they reusable? I tried prying the easy one out yesterday & was afraid I was going to break the top off. I also was wondering what that customer of yours did about replacing his ailing turbo.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I never heard from him - I'm guessing he went to the dealer. I had another cust that popped his turbo who decided to go with a vnt17 instead of a used kp39. I guess I can't blame him after his pretty spectacular failure. I'm sorry, I guess I'm not following which part you are refering to. Snorkel as in the part that goes behind the headlight and attaches to header panel?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Snorkel as in the part that goes behind the headlight and attaches to header panel?
Yes. The snorkel being the conduit from the filter box forward to just below the headlight. I'm referring to the 2 fasteners that hold the piece the snorkel mates with under the headlight.

Johnny Canola

TDI
03 Jetta Wagen TDI
Hey Ron I have been hearing a lot about Vag-coms, is this just to read fault codes? Or is it to tune your car for optimum running? Also I am trying to find who sells the best diesel locally, by cetane and by volume ie fresher fuel. Thanks, John

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well, they are plastic & will not pry out without being destroyed.
I finally got a chance to take a look...looks like they are plastic "rivets" of a simple push design. If you want to reuse them it looks like you'll have to get at the backside of the headlight to push the stud towards the rear of the car. IF you'd rather just cut them off and replace, the part numer is N 038 550 1

I'm guessing you found an R32 intake path?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally got a chance to take a look...looks like they are plastic "rivets" of a simple push design. If you want to reuse them it looks like you'll have to get at the backside of the headlight to push the stud towards the rear of the car. IF you'd rather just cut them off and replace, the part numer is N 038 550 1

I'm guessing you found an R32 intake path?
I punched them through with a hammer & blunt punch, threaded the hole & used 3/8 hex nuts with star washers. I do have an R 32 snorkel with a PD 150 filter box, MAF & TIP. They came from Ryan P in England. I didn't have enough time to get the parts installed but I did learn a lot about what is involved. There is always more than meets the eye at first glance. I'll e,mail you a picture of the snorkel.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW Nick, I just got a message from Geoff at Colt Cams. They won't have the cam blanks until the end of November. Some time in late January of February I'd like to do the cam swap in your garage.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Who wants to do a timing belt on a1996 Passat?
I can do it for you when I get back. I am leaving on a road trip this weekend for a week and a few days. In the meantime, you can go and order the parts. For a car that old, I am assuming you will want to go all out and replace everything. Dieselgeek.com has all the parts. Add the first 3 items (timing belt kit, serpentine pulley, water pump)on his site for your car to the shopping cart and have it delivered to you. Then go to the dealership and pick up some G11 coolant and the crankshaft bolt.

The crankshaft bolt may need to be ordered at the dealer. You need G11 since the coolant is green not pink.

I live right at the bus line in Maple Grove. If you want to pick your car up the next day after work. Just drop it off the evening before. Or drop it off and pick it up.

Any questions, email me @ deafbug at gmail dot com. I dont check the forums often like others.