engine code issue 2006 1,9 tdi

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Again, after clearing code, the light stays off until I shut her off and restart. then it doesn't turned off till cleared. I'm guessing the electronic portion of the actuator is not supplying the signal to the ECU???

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
I did cut opened my faulty 04 Jetta TDI turbo actuator. Inside it just have a spring, diaphragm and a position potential meter and a lot rusty. I guess the too much rusty fragrance fall around the potential meter and affect ECU reading correct signal. So ECU flag the faulty code. you may source a good used one or tune it out.

Last edited:

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
chz17, this unit looks good, at
least the exterior. Have the picture but cant down load it. Some kind of protocol issue. The heat blanket over the wires is almost brand new looking. Remember my friend I had a BEW 2004, and the actuator was underneath. The 2006 models moved it to the top, lot less exposure. So Im guessing the rod activates a potentiateometer , changing resistance and the ECU reads it, and adjusts. I'm thinking that is it. Folks are saying we can program around it. I dont have a VAG com, nor easy assess to a Guru

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
*You* can't program around it, even with VCDS... you would need a tuner (Jetta97/TDI Tuning, as offered above, Malone, Kerma, Rocketchip, others) who will write software that you upload thru the OBD2 port that changes the ECU's firmware to ignore the position sensor (if that's the route you decide to go).

All of this can be done remotely... they can rent you the hardware and the software goes back and forth via email. No need for physical proximity. :)

Last edited:

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Vince, what is recommendation? This may be above my pay grade. I have a laptop but not the cabling for the OBD2. Sounds like this is what I need to do, like I say I may need to drink a beer or 10 before I try that! lol

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It appears that the position sensor in the actuator is acting up. Options at this point include:

- I think it's likely possible to read the position sensor values during a test run, using VCDS, to confirm. Worth confirming if this is possible on Ross-Tech's page, although most people would say if you own a VW and turn your own wrenches you need VCDS just as much as you need a 13mm wrench. :)

- You could replace the actuator and see if it fixes the issue

- You could purchase an ECU tune to have the car ignore the signal from the actuator. The vendor rents you *all* hardware needed (programming box, cable). Previous models of the TDI engine did not have a position sensor and ran just fine. :)

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
I can wrench on my cars, I do have a 10mm, in fact many. lol Who do you recommend or whom. Im asking for names, I dont have a VCDS. Im down to just 2 tdi's now, when i priced them in the past, I had to clean my draws out. I know you cant recommend just one, but I think I'll go the programming route. Buddy, you have been a great resource and as always I greatly appreciate your help.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
- You could replace the actuator and see if it fixes the issue
On BRM Actuator is not available. Idparts has modified CR actuator , but not much feed back about it.

Also this actuator to replace is very hard . It takes almost whole day to do it .
Take it out is so/so , but put back in those 2 bolts is pay in the a......

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 97, I have looked at your followers, I'm one of them, what can we do , program around her. Let me know how what we do, I have a lap top but not the connection to obw2. Can you send me the the cable and the program to reset ECM. Let me know what you need , we can apple pay or anything you want. Never tried to program a ECM, even though Im a Geophysicist, will need very goood instructions. As you know, we both live in Texas, with engine light on, I can not pass inspection.

Regards p930man Preston Crawford 830-237-1759 or p930man@gmail.com