Pricing of 13-14 jetta sportwagen tdi after fix ?

13blackblack

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Bought my 13 JSW last week. 52k miles, sunroof, keyless/push button start, 17” with new tires, pads and rotors, RNS 315 radio, CPO at VW dealer. Extremely clean with full service history in car fax. Paid $11,000 out the door. Was also looking at a base model, no sunroof, 16” wheels, 30k miles but not CPO for same price. Both cars were black on black.
This was in Cincinnati.

curioustdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2003 Golf GL 2 Dr, 5spd, ESP, CW, PP520s, DC Stg3 soon!
Looking at buying a 2014 JSW 6mt with nav at a VW dealer, asking $14,9 with 23k miles. The book value of these cars is much lower so what should be an out the door target price if it’s in great shape?

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I bought mine in November 2018 in Chicagoland. When I was looking there were 3 in my area with MT and <40k miles, all asking over $15k
I ended up with a 2013 6MT, no sunroof, black on black leather with 32k miles for 15 out the door (~13.5 before tax and plates?).

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Prices on these are all over the map. Some dealers (both small independents and VW dealers) are hoping to make a hearty profit on each unit and are pricing accordingly. Others are relying on volume and low pricing. The small indie dealer I just bought mine from is moving these things in and out in droves with very aggressive pricing. Meanwhile, the same cars on other dealer lots on the same street priced $3-4k higher sit week after week. Prices on those seem to be dropping slowly as those dealers start to realize there's no big, fast, easy money to make on these cars, especially when in competition with the dealers who are going the high-volume route.

Last edited:

curioustdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2003 Golf GL 2 Dr, 5spd, ESP, CW, PP520s, DC Stg3 soon!
We ended up buying a CPO Tornado Red 2012 JSW SR manual with 47k for $9500 from Salem OR VW. Dealer was asking $9900, “marked down” from $11999. Not bad but wow the condition of buyback JSW TDIs is usually subpar, happy I found one in decent shape!

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
With prices like these reports... I'm starting to think that I really did get a screaming deal on mine, and the only thing hurting it was the total mileage on the odometer.

But really... 160k on an engine that had pretty extensive service records showing maintenance every 10k / 6 weeks right on schedule, and an engine that likely is as high quality as the ALH? Mileage is only a number....

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Based on how VW seems to try and weasel out of the warranty when repairs are actually needed... I wish luck to all who rely on it or count it as a benefit. I'm not sure I think it is worth the paper it is printed on.

I had my 2013 JSW (manual) have the DPF go with 78,000, like 6,000 after the emissions mod was done

The first thing out of the dealer’s service department was “of course this will be covered by your extended emissions warranty at no charge; oh will you need a loaner car?”

I got the distinct impression the LAST thing they want is to create any controversy over fixing these cars under warranty; far better to keep the customer happy and quiet

Mine has 86,500 on it now and based on the miles I drive the 10 years/6 months after in service date OR (whichever is longer, per the warranty) will pretty much happen around the same time

I will see how it goes for three years and then decide if I will keep the car and do the TB service (at an indy shop as the warranty will be over at 130,000) or sell it and move on

At that point having got back nearly $7000 in VW and Bosch cash my outlay for the car will be $18,000.

Figure on getting $6,000 or so at the 10 year mark for the car it will have cost me barely over $1,000 a year in depreciation costs

Given you can hardly buy manual wagons anymore I hope to keep the car another 14 years or so (to hit 20 years) but we will see how it goes

I would hate to no longer have a manual but if I have to bail I would probably opt for a CPO Mercedes E class wagon as I do love me some Euro wagon

Analogeezer

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
But really... 160k on an engine that had pretty extensive service records showing maintenance every 10k / 6 weeks right on schedule QUOTE]

Are the service records base off the Car Fax? My Car Fax states every one within time/miles also. Have you verified them through the dealer records? As weird as this sounds and I may be overzealous at keeping records but... I'm presently "trying" to get some sort of VW services done verification.

VWoA isn't exactly known for honesty sometimes;). Just sayin' ???

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I was surprised to find on the '13 I just bought (27k miles) that the jack, lug wrench, and most importantly, the key to the locking lug bolts were not included in the car. Ugh. I understand these are "as-is" used cars, but you'd think VW would at least be sure to provide you with a way to get your frickin wheels off in the event of a roadside emergency. :mad:

So buyers beware: check your trunk now so you won't be in for a nasty surprise when you're sitting on the side of the freeway with a flat tire.

I had to go to the local dealership to get the locking lug bolts off. They were "kind" enough to replace them with regular bolts for a mere $10 each.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Are the service records base off the Car Fax? My Car Fax states every one within time/miles also. Have you verified them through the dealer records? As weird as this sounds and I may be overzealous at keeping records but... I'm presently "trying" to get some sort of VW services done verification.

VWoA isn't exactly known for honesty sometimes;). Just sayin' ???
Oh, I don't trust VWOA as far as I could throw them. I look at every vehicle as an individual - let the car tell me how it was treated. The records I am referencing ARE based on the Carfax, but I did go to the dealership that was listed the most in them - looks like it was taken to one of two dealers (both owned by the same group) in the city it lived in - the dealer happily produced some nearly incomprehensible record pages which (oddly) didn't show the maintenance visits, but did show some warranty visits before the thing hit 36k miles. The car was in great shape, but it did say to me that I need to do the timing belt PDQ on it b/c it has obviously not been done.

What I find amazing is that the dealers insist that they have no access to any other non-affiliated dealer (Bobco VW can only look up records from Bobco locations, if the car was serviced by Steveco VW, they can't see it at all)... This is stunning to me. I can walk into ANY Chrysler dealer and get the full service history for my Jeep vehicle at any time. How is it that VW doesn't have the same setup?

97passat

TDI
97 Passat 266K (RIP little go-cart), 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 48K as of mid 2023
Just purchased CPO 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with 24k miles. -Sunroof, etc.. Great condition. Can't find a blemish. $12500 out the door.
While I do miss my 97 Passat TDI... I hope to have this SW for years to come.

Nutty

TDI
2014 JSW
Bought a '14 JSW two months back and can't get enough of it. Paid $4,600 for it with 120k miles with the DSG. Did a full service, delete, state 2 tune +DSG and brake job the first week. Runs like a champ and gets 57 mpg highway (used mostly to commute - drive 50k miles a year). With I knew about this car years back! I'm also a new member here.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
I purchased my 2013 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI with 60K miles 13 Jan 2019 for just under $9k + Tax + Title. M6, keyless entry, push button start tech package, nav, pano roof. I just transferred tags to it this morning.

I have already tinted the windows, protected the front with clearbra, added a Malone Stage2 tune and looking forward to installing my Darkside downpipe and rear backup camera. Averaging 36-37 mpg lately. Mostly highway.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Clearbra?

I purchased my 2013 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI with 60K miles 13 Jan 2019 for just under $9k + Tax + Title. M6, keyless entry, push button start tech package, nav, pano roof. I just transferred tags to it this morning.
I have already tinted the windows, protected the front with clearbra, added a Malone Stage2 tune and looking forward to installing my Darkside downpipe and rear backup camera. Averaging 36-37 mpg lately. Mostly highway.
Did you buy custom cut kit for car or generic and cut your own? Mind going over the process a little? Thanks

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Did you buy custom cut kit for car or generic and cut your own? Mind going over the process a little? Thanks
I have a guy here locally that I trust to install the Tint and Clearbras. He custom cuts everything.

For the ClearBras he fills existing chips, color sands to blend, and then covers as much of the front as possible with a 18" wide so front of the fenders, hood, bumper cover, headlights, fog lights (if so equipped) and side mirrors. He uses 3M so they always look like new for the life of the car.

For tint he does all side and back windows in one piece each and then uses 5% for a brow across the top of the windshield.

YoungDieselstein

Veteran Member
Orem, UT (Formerly San Diego, CA and Clarksville,
TDI
Ferdinand "Ferdie" The Wagon: 2003 Jetta Wagon, Reflex Silver. RIP 3/2019
I've got a line on a 2014 base model JSW with 6MT about 40k on the clock. $16300 out the door (no tax in NH so this is basically sale price plus temp tags). Its CPO. I'm on the fence. It seems like a decent deal, but not great considering 4 yr old car that stickered at about $26k new. But I do like the colors and its close by. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I haven't seen it in person yet and of course there is another storm coming so probably won't make it for a couple days.

Thoughts on the deal compared to what others are seeing?

There was a similar car that I wanted to look at that sold over the weekend. Same specs and CPO and they were asking $16,600 last I saw before the listing came down.

Its interesting that the 2015's actually seem to be priced quite a bit better which is odd to me. I was looking for MK6 vs. Mk7 because of the simpler emissions and what I perceive to be a slightly higher quality interior. I like the MK7 exterior better. The emissions complications are probably offset by the crazy long warranty. The other major problem with the 2015's is that the manuals seem quite a bit more rare. While the DSG is good for an auto I just can't bring myself to do it. Just too blah to drive since I don't have any traffic to deal with. There is a super clean 2015 GSW S on CL near me for $17.5k with only 13k and tons of warranty left. Seems like a nice deal, but DSG.

We just pulled the trigger on a “14 JSW TDI (38,875 miles, 6MT, no sunroof, leathertex int, Titanium Gray) listed for $12,500 plus about $500 in doc and registration fees, plus about $800 sales tax. So we were about $13,800 out the door. (Ouch... that’s he first time I thought about that. We added an extended warranty for even more but this is the most expensive thing we have ever bought/currently own and as much as I want to mod it and tune I needed the comfort of a full 5years of warranty (2 yrs CPO + 3 yrs extended) I just wanted to treat it like it was a new car.

It came off a one owner lease and has 39,000 miles (38892 after our test drives) and they replaced the windshield and did some minor bodywork for a crease in the rear quarterpanel and some scuffs and scratches in the paint. Put new-but-cheap Chinese tires on it, which I didn’t notice until the day after we brought it home...
That’s all I can think of.
It’ll probably need a Timing Belt in a few months just because of age. Which is frustrating, but :shrug:, “wear item”. Everything else my mechanic said was one of the best buybacks he’s inspected and he’d buy it if he was the one looking.

Rocketogre

TDI
MK6 JSW
I just got a '13 6MT no sunroof/nav with 26k miles. Paid 12.3k for it, that's with all new tires, new battery, replaced the drain tube that I guess was going bad on them in the lots and really just a mint car all around. Little bit of paint damage, but like a few scratches and one spot that my body guy says was bird crap sitting for a very long time, this was with no haggling I just walked in and said I'll take it for what you've advertised it at. I did THAT because I had a hellish experience at a local dealer that had them advertised for 12.5k but then wanted to charge ME for new tires/battery/vehicle exam blah blah blah. Basically wanted 17k for the same car in a color I liked less. So far I feel like I got a deal. Only a few thousand miles into it

dj112990

TDI
2014 JSW
We just got a CPO 2014 with DSG, sunroof and nav with 35k. After the dealer fees, taxes and registration we were out the door for $13,700. Some scratches here and there but overall looks really good. Had new brakes and tires all around. Had to travel 4 hours to get it but anything similar in my area would've ended up about $2k more.

ChitownCraig

TDI
TBD
Does any know what the Golf and Wagen are going for via auction? Just trying to see what markup is on these. The one VW dealership in Chicago is selling Wagen's for $8-10k with 40-77k miles. That seems damn cheap especially from a VW dealership, but most don't seem like they have been kept up with the every 10k service intervals.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Does any know what the Golf and Wagen are going for via auction? Just trying to see what markup is on these. The one VW dealership in Chicago is selling Wagen's for $8-10k with 40-77k miles. That seems damn cheap especially from a VW dealership, but most don't seem like they have been kept up with the every 10k service intervals.
I am curious as well - my local Atlanta dealerships are sitting on these things for months on end even at bargain basement prices. There are listings out there with cars that have not even been cleaned after their 1-2 years of purgatory, flat tires, spare tires on, etc.

Is the TDI badge that damaged from this scandal that even prior customers won't look twice?

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
I'd like to also know what TDI's are going for at auction. Too bad we can't find a sold list.

I bought my 3/2014 Reflex Silver Metallic JSW with DSG, Pano Roof, no Nav with 23k miles, and being a FL car, no rust and in perfect condition for $13700 out the door. The car also came with new tires, as most do, so that's a plus. It took me some time to locate a TDI this well taken care of, so I'm happy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Auction prices seem to be based on year, model, trim level, and (to some extent) mileage. Not a lot of allowances for condition unless there's significant damage. I saw what has to be a totaled '14 JSW on the site for $4,400. Great candidate if you wanted a drivetrain for a swap.

Dealers don't seem to be making a lot on these. From what I hear they're paid pretty generously for the fix, and I think most are looking to move these cars to get a new customer for the dealership, sell warranties and add-ons, get financing income, and keep the service bays busy. And to have more inventory on the lot. So profit per car isn't as important, it seems. The also get some kind of bonus for each car they sell.