high temp glass along with dichroic etching,emblems,gear shift knobs,

Getta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002Getta, GLS, Galactic blue
imagine a material that can be 1100deg.And on one end and 4 inches away from that point cold ANY IDEAS????????

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
I assume you're primary product is "functional" glass art, like most of the glass blowers I know around here?

M

mickey

How to post pics:

1. Go here http://tdipics.mmcorp.net/ and open an account. This server is for TDIClub use only!

2. Once you are in your account on the pic server, click on "upload" and then "browse." Locate the JPEG file on your hard drive and upload it to the pic server.

3. To add the pic to a post in the Forum, get into your account on the pic server (I like to open a second browser to do this while my original one is open to the Forums) and right-click on the file you want to post. Select "copy shortcut".

4. In your Forum post, put the cursor where you want the pic to appear and then look at the "Instant UBB Code" list just below the text window. Click on "Image." A window will pop up. Right click in the window and select "paste." The link to your picture will appear. Hit "enter." To do this manually, you simply type the URL for your picture in-between the UBB image tags: {img} and {/img}, except you use square brackets instead of the fancy ones. The first one tells the UBB software "A picture link follows...." and the second one says "That was a picture link just now...got it?"

Example (Make sure you use square brackets instead of fancy ones):

{img}http://www.mickeysuglypics.com/myhairybutt.jpg{/img}

-mickey

Getta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am a glass artist trying to find some thing that you guys might like for your cars
we can make anthing out of the stuff its all hand made and every piece is original so if you want somthing on yr car thats original that know body else has or if you have something that you need made out of glass let me know .

P.S. someone please tell me how to post pics and I'll show you the sickest gear shift knob you have ever seen!!!!!

Getta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
come on I need some of you tunners to think about this material glass takes any shape you want it to and its strong and very heat resistent . Did you know that the whole under carridge of our U.S. spaceshuttle is made up of a ceramic based glass kinda like porcilin . The billion dollor toilet . I think if NASA is resorting to glass on there billion dollor flying toilet we should dfenetily look into this subject thanks

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
couple issues:

weight

cost

durability

wieght - can it be lighter than the stock part and still be as durable. . .

cost - can it be competitively worth (counting all value aesthetic and other)

Durability - will it survive an impact with a slipped wrench or other such mechanical accidents like that.

As Far as space shuttle. That is quite different than normal glass production.

I can't personally think of many areas that we could benefit from it. These Diesel engines shake the crap out of anything attached and anything bridging the gap from the engine to the body needs to be isolated or flexible.

but if you come up with some good ideas let me know - and hey if you need one or two pics posted email them to me.

Getta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I think at first I would have to start with using the glass for cosmetic puposes say an inlayed dichroic emblem on the ood and trunk of your car, custom gear shift knob and brake,gas pedels etc, istead of clear side markers dichroic side marker.
I will email u a pic of a gear shift knob

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

There it is - gorgeous if you ask me. . .

hmmmm - that would be pretty cool to do a whole set of trim peices . . .

jorpet

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta - 2015 Golf SW
Jetta Racer,
Where are you in Oregon? If you start detailing your car I would love to see it some time. I head to Salem every other month or so to visit my parents so could possibly set up a meet.

Super Moderator
GoFaster masquerading as Moderator. Now that the forums are working properly once again (thanks Fred!) I'm moving this thread to Upgrades and closing it in this forum.

Brian

Getta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
As far as gear shift knobs, or emblems, we can do them anyway...your name, VW, Dichro, whatever you'd like. As far as duribilty on these, they would be just as strong as stock parts. (much more original
)Other parts would have to be tested, but I'm sure we could improve some things. Your ideas on things like this would be just that, ideas, until we could see them through. So use your imagination! Remember, glass is non-conductive so IT IS HEAT RESISTANT!!!! Diesel motors I'm sure shake the **** out of the parts, but metal parts break down, rust, as opposed to glass which is inert. If we could replace a part succesfully with glass, it more than likely would never need to be replaced again.
As far as dropping a wrench on glass parts, you would probably be S.O.L. Glass is durable, but not indestructable. I was thinking more along the line of a glass air filtering system. But to make any idea come alive, we would need to put our heads together.