scan gauge II Help

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
I need some help with this scangauge i bought. The overall functions i've figured out and it is quite handy. The problem / issue that has caught my attension came about after i filled up last night.

Is it possible that the grade of fuel inside my car right now is causing my engine to burn more of it. My previous tank i filled up at husky and my average daily burn rate was about 4.8L/100km. after i filled up last night i went through the screens and adapted the scangauge to show that i have filled up. I drove 150km's mostly highway at a steady 100km/h and was astonished that my burn rate had increased substantially. 8.9L/100km! from this i noticed that my Litre per hour consumption had doubled at idle aswell. was around .5L/H and is now 1.1L/H what might have caused this to change like that? the only thing that was done is i filled up at a different station (shell).

Has anyone encountered this before?

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
I don't have a scanguage and I know that I get better mileage with Esso then Sunoco Gold. My car burns more Sunoco then Esso fuel under the exact same driving conditions.

After this tank, go back to the Husky and fill up and see what your numbers are.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
That's strange. I never saw much of a difference between fuel brands on the SG, certainly not that much. I think you just need to run a couple more tanks and calibrate it further.

I did see a big difference when I went from stock to the Aligator tune. My consumption at idle as reported went way up, even though my overall mileage increased.

What are your percentages? (speedo adjustment, fuel)

I'm running at +4% for speed, 0% for fuel (up since the winter blends kicked in)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i am at +3 for speed, i dont really have anything to base it off of other then when i am going 100km/hour according to my dash vag-com tells me i am doing 96km/hour. As for the fuel. i think thats whatever the default is. Do i set up the fuel % in the cuttoff option?

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Yeah, you need to calibrate it after a fillup. Go to:

HOME>MORE>FILLUP>

Enter the number of litres you put in, and it'll adjust the percentage. I always vent to the top so I'm filling up to the same level every time. I think in the manual they recommend you fill up to the first click, but as long as you're filling to a consistent level you'll get good accuracy. It might take a couple tanks to get close..

I use 62L as my tank capacity btw.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i set the tank capacity to 60L i vent and fill right to the brim. i dont stop until i see it settled at the top of the filler spout. i'll let it settle out. Apparently at the rate the car is "supposedly" running i'll only get 449km out of a FULL tank.

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Heh. Scangauge can sense that you sprung a leak :)

Yeah, I'd just play with that fillup adjustment until you get numbers that start to look close. Cruising at 100 I'll get right around 4.8 L/100km, same as you... I'd adjust it on the fly until it gets close, since you're pretty far off now for whatever reason.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
so turns out the fuel adjustment number was WAY off... it was at 100% i've dropped it down to 0% and will do like you said... cruise at 100km/hour and adjust it till i get 4.8-5.0L/100km. Handly little tool tho, its almost as handy as my Vag-com... ALMOST but not quite.

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI wagon highline
Anyone have photos of how you've mounted your Scangauge? I've had mine since the spring and I'm really happy with it. It would be nice if it showed boost pressure though but I can live with MAP.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
If you don't have seat heaters, like me, you can move the defrost button over to the far left and mount the SG to the right of the four-way-flasher button. I'm guessing most of you folks in Canada have the heated seats, though.

TheDieselFamily

TDI
2005 Golf GLS, 2011 Touareg TDI
I mounted mine above the factory radio. I drilled a hole in the blank plate for the connection, so it is not seen at all. If you mount it as far up as possible, the CD just slides out under it. When ever I get strange mileage readings, it is because I screwed up the fullup routine. I try to remember my modification factor so I can restore it. For my PD it is about 67%

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
OmegaRenegade said:
so turns out the fuel adjustment number was WAY off... it was at 100% i've dropped it down to 0% and will do like you said... cruise at 100km/hour and adjust it till i get 4.8-5.0L/100km. Handly little tool tho, its almost as handy as my Vag-com... ALMOST but not quite.
The fuel adjustment on my SGII fluctuates between -28% and -30%. I set it every time I fill up and it just seems to ping-pong back and forth, presumably due to tiny inaccuracies in both measurement of consumption and actual fill.

Twice though, it reset the fuel adaptation to something weird. So if you're getting an odd result, check it to make sure it still has the right engine/fueltype/percentage. Once I had it just reset itself to defaults, and the other time it was just some odd value, displayed alpha characters instead of a number, really fritzed.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i LOVE my heated seats! but am curious as to how you managed ure mount. Pictures?
I'll post pictures when it is finished. I'm waiting for a button blank to come in from VW. On my car (no seat heaters), the button to the right of the 4-way is the rear defrost. The one to the right of that is blank. I moved the defrost to the far left, and will be replacing it with a blank. Due to a previous switch that I had placed at the far left position, the original blank plate had a hole drilled in it. So the SG2 mounts right on top of the two blanks to the right of the 4-way, and just barely covers part of the 4-way button. The wire comes through the far right blank plate. Mounted with velcro for now... though I don't like the "floppiness" of it, I do like the ease of removal. I am looking for another solution for the mount.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
hmm clever spot to put it!
i like seeing the numbers changing on the go so right on the steering column worked perfectly.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, this spot only works if you don't have seat heater controls up there.