TDI (2001) won't start - suggestions?

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
My 2001 TDI (~140,000KMs) has been working flawlessly, and today I went down and it won't start and was hoping the group could help:

1) Car cranking strong but not turning over at all. Turned over the very first time, then quickly stalled. Every try after has not turned over. No sputtering or anything.

2) After I stop turning the key, the red "oil" symbol flashes on my dash and a single beep. I checked dipstick and there the level is in the middle of hatch marks.

3) Half tank of fuel

I don't know what else to tell you so ask away. I'll do a search to see if there's similar post. Thanks in advance!

Mike

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Silly suggestion: did you check the anti-shudder valve to see that it's not stuck in the closed position? (top of the engine, passanger side... vacuum operated, spring loaded...)

Do you have your indicator lights on when you turn on the "ignition" ??? If not, then your Relay 109 (main power relay) is gone...

Beyond that... you could loosen the connection to one of the injectors as someone tries to start the car... to see if fuel spits out...

Yuri.

PS: you say "turned over" - I assume you mean engine start... to me, turned over means "cranked"... if your engine didn't turn over, either the starter's gone (BTW: how old's your battery? the car needs at least 300 rpm for the computer to allow it to start), or the battery's dead... or the "ignition" switch is defective...

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
I just checked again - no fuel in the clear fuel line. I going to try replacing fuel filter now. I've been running B40 biodiesel, and may have clogged the filter.

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
Also check the 'T' valve at the top of the fuel filter. Make sure it is not blocked. I have heard about a few people having problems when running biodiesel.:eek:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
2) oil light does this as a warning that you do not have sufficient pressure. Which should not be a surprise since the motor is not running.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Closure

Ok, just put in new filter and she runs fine again. So - the oil light isn't really telling.

RECAP (to help others)
- The best diagnosis was to look at fuel lines and see that they're empty
- clogged fuel filter can run smooth one day, then stop you dead the next (ie no warning).

Thanks for the input guys. I hope others find this useful if they run into same issue.

Mike

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Problem Returns !

Ok, so I changed filter yesterday and drove the car about 50kms w/o trouble. Go to start it up this morning, and exact same problem is back !

So, no fuel in the lines. What could this be?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Obviously there's a leak somewhere...

Most likely the fuel's draining back to the tank (gravity), so I'd check the "O" rings on the thermostatic "T" (do you have lots of little bubbles of air in the clear tube as the car's running ??) and all the other lines - both supply and return...

How has your fuel economy been lately ???

Yuri.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
ymz said:
Obviously there's a leak somewhere...

Most likely the fuel's draining back to the tank (gravity), so I'd check the "O" rings on the thermostatic "T" (do you have lots of little bubbles of air in the clear tube as the car's running ??) and all the other lines - both supply and return...

How has your fuel economy been lately ???

Yuri.
I've been getting around 1000kms to a tank lately. Will look at the 0-ring. I just changed 2 o-rings with filter - are those what you're talking about?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes those are the ones... Did you put the blue one on top and did you seal the "T" solidly back into the filter ?? Once in a blue moon those plastic "T"s do break, but I would think that you'd see some leaking fuel...

Yuri.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
ymz said:
Yes those are the ones... Did you put the blue one on top and did you seal the "T" solidly back into the filter ?? Once in a blue moon those plastic "T"s do break, but I would think that you'd see some leaking fuel...

Yuri.
Yup, blue goes on top and the T-fitting was re-installed such that the Mickey Mouse clip fit in perfectly. The tow truck driver test the power to the fuel pump, and confirmed was receiving 12volts. Now can is in the shop (Andes) whom also did my T-belt, so hopefully they can figure this out quick.

I'll post back to the group the final solution once I know.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Final report

Learned that you can't reverse install on fuel filter. Once mechanic put filter on right, and flushed it extra good with diesel purge and let it sit overnight, he was able to get TDI back on the road.

Last recommendation is to buy Mighty Vac if you're going to do your own fuel filter changes, and double check you're put the filter on the right way. Also, LubroMoly's DieselPurge Product is top shelf for fuel system maintenance in our TDI's.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDiMike said:
Learned that you can't reverse install on fuel filter.
Not even if you only drive backwards ??? :)

At least you're back on the road...

Mity-Vac's nice... Harbor Freight has a cheaper version... I use my Pela 6000 with a little extra vinyl hose...

All the best,

Yuri.