DSG: Changing 5th/6th for better MPG?

RAST

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
LOL

Do you at least wave at them??

I learned a neat trick a long time ago. Right before you get to the start of the hill -- you know just before you start to feel the hill -- accelerate just a bit. 2 - 4 mph, and keep that acceleration level going up the hill. The 2 - 4 mph will give you more momentum to make it up the hill and you'll end up straining the engine less overall. Plus it should kick you down to 5th gear before the hill so you won't be shifting right when you want the power. And with luck the truckers won't flip you off as often.

CB

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Black
Say what? You got a lupo or what?
Maybe in a loaded 1.6 IDI (NA) VW truck.
If top gear is too tall shift.
My 97 can pull a 1200#+ boat and blow by all trucks on the grades, in top gear.
Usually if a trucker gets pissed, something is amiss.

Is that what you meant to type?
I am thinking upgrade. :>)
Regards
CB&Stoker

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
No the DSG is not that bad. Something is wrong with your car dude, else you need to drive a little faster :)

DSG like to kick down to 5th more than it needs to but if you are over 60mph than you should not have to drop of of 6th unless you are over 15% maybe? Anything over that and you are not on a paved road (that I know of - engineers do try to make the roads driveable for the hondas !)

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
At highway speeds, you pretty much have to floor-it to get the DSG to downshift to 5th because it's just not needed. Pulling up a hill in 6th gear at highway speeds is absolutely no problem and there's no reason your car should be slowing down at all if you increase pressure on the accelerator to compensate for the uphill.

Carla

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 DSG auto, reflex silver
It's not ....I brought my 05.5 DSG to 105 mph going to work today. I still got 42.5 mpg on a 42 mile commute .. I've had it up to 112 mph.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
gary556 said:
Truckers are flipping me off as they blow by going uphill:)
somethings wrong with your car.
check the vacuum pipes for a leak, that would prevent the turbo from delivering what it should.
or could be the MAF.

JettaTDIMKV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Doesnt sound good ! I havent had any issues yet (touch wood) with my DSG. If I see the tranny is not shifting down to 5th (sort of sitting on the fence) I put it in Tiptronic and knock it down manuallty rather than depressing the pedal to get it to kick down.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
gary556 said:
Truckers are flipping me off as they blow by going uphill:)
My take is that he's smiling about this, not complaining that something is wrong. Truckers with heavy loads hate to lose their momentum going up grades due to slower traffic in their way.

Stick that tachometer at 1900 to 2000 rpm on almost any grade, and hold the tallest gear you can in the tranny. You got 175 ft/lb's to play with there if you are running D2 for fuel, 158 if you are doing the B99 stuff (which I never recommend for 2004 or later PD motored TDI's)

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
uphill try to keep 2100 RPM 60 mph - you should have no problem - if the limit is 60 and you go 60 flip them back.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Just set the cruise control. It's remarkably good at maintaining a set speed and you'll end up passing many people going up a hill because they're unknowingly slowing down.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I have found that most hills don't require shifting, where as Mountains require me to down shift now, an 11% grade that is 2 miles long will cost me 11 MPH bottom to top, with my new .681 5th gear in my manual gear box (but then my engine is stock 90 HP, 155FT/Lbs of torque) (75 - 64MPH)

If you can't maintain 60+MPH with a stock engine and transmission, you have a mechanical issue.
I would start by checking the MAF, then change the fuel filter and try some power-Service or other diesel cetane booster, injector cleaner, cylinder lubricant additive. Also make sure you are buying your fuel at a reputable station with a good turn over (lots of big trucks, and other Diesel's buying fuel is a good sign)