A Proper Allroad 3 liter Conversion

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Flywheel and clutch are on the engine. I'm awaiting some final parts to complete the low range unit that is going on the back of the transmission.

The car goes back on the lift later this week to have soundproofing installed as well as fuel tank, and fuel lines.

The factory gasoline tank came out with great protest..

And out came the factory diesel tank.. looks real close, next time I'll just replace the filler neck and fuel pump unit.

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Verified the 01E bell housing fits the 3.0 liter with the flywheel. I've discovered the ring gear is larger on the 3.0.. But it fits!

Trans is almost done.. Had to order some very small hardware for the dual range gearbox.

Dual range unit needs assembly.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
So cool, now if we only had gotten them like that in the first place it would have saved you a ton of work!

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Dual range was available only on manual gearboxes and only in Europe. From what I can see only a very limited amount of manual gearbox cars in Europe had it. It's a cool option, but I wonder how useful it really is? My allroad doesn't even come close to what the Vanagon Syncro or Touareg can do with real diff locks. At the bottom of my driveway there is a section where I can drive along side the main road with a 30cm deep, 50cm wide ditch. If I take the allroad and slowly try to cross that ditch at a 45 degree angle where one wheel will be in the air as it goes thru the ditch it will effectively become stuck with the traction control going nuts trying to compensate for the wheel in the air. If it had a real rear differential lock like the 80s vintage quattros had it would be unstoppable. So it is an allroad, good to great on all roads but excels at nothing - just like my BMW GS motorcycles. Great on dirt roads, but stump jumpers no.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
The dual range system is fairly complex, having it's own pump and own hydraulic system. I'm hoping that I can tap off the power steering pressure line and avoid sourcing all those rare and expensive parts. The gearbox itself was costly to source and repair.

There are also 2 modules that control the system and it's integrated into the Allroad's electronics.

Here's a link to an SSP that has all the details of the system.

SSP 241 Allroad Dual Range Gearbox

This particular Allroad is also getting Wavetrac diffs both front and rear.

Jingles75

TDI
Audi allroad
Hi Scott, great looking project mate! really looking forward to seeing some more progress!
I don't mean to hijack your thread but would really appreciate any advice or guidance in doing basically the same conversion but with an auto box. I'm looking at picking up a 2003 allroad with a blown 2.7tt & swapping out the engine for a 3.0tdi. I can pick up a whole wrecked 2009-2011 Q5 (or even A5) for a reasonable price here so i'm looking at swapping the engine & 7 speed auto & rear diff out of the Q5 & putting everything into the Allroad...possibly some interior bits as well. Would you have any idea if the Q5 would be an ok donor vehicle for this sort of conversion or should i start with another model to simplify things. (cant get a wrecked 3.0tdi A6)
Many thanks in advance!!
Tony.

Jingles75

TDI
Audi allroad
Thanks Scott! So the only real option to fit the later model 2010ish 3.0tdi would be to start with a wrecked late model allroad. It's still a possibility, they are just much harder to find over here in Australia.
Thank you for the advice!!

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
I think most the C6 allroads had the 2.7.

The later cars had significant differences in the front output of the gearbox, the gearbox is much wider and the outputs farther forward, so fitment into a C5 Allroad may be impossible.

Jingles75

TDI
Audi allroad
Bugger! over here the C6 allroad is only available in the 3.0TFSI or the 3.0TDI so there is a few about. Doesn't really help though if they wont fit. So, swapping out the 2.7tt petrol for a late model tdi really isn't an option?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Bugger! over here the C6 allroad is only available in the 3.0TFSI or the 3.0TDI so there is a few about. Doesn't really help though if they wont fit. So, swapping out the 2.7tt petrol for a late model tdi really isn't an option?
It's not the engine it's the transmission. The 3.0 will bolt to a 01E. What I have run into is the integration of the 2.5 tdi into the dual range control unit. That integration doesn't exist for the 3.0.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
how is this all road coming along i am debating on what to do i like the all road but the 2.7 looks like a real turd if you dont buy a well maintained one and 19 mpg yea right

Robert

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
how is this all road coming along i am debating on what to do i like the all road but the 2.7 looks like a real turd if you dont buy a well maintained one and 19 mpg yea right

Robert
Yeah the 2.7 tt doesn't get good gas mileage for some 19mpg is a pipe dream, most people see 15-18 in the city with 19-21 highway. Shooting for 32-35 mpg on this project.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank' for the real world info on the mpg's. Still not were I would like it for a small suv and they won't build one in my price range so. I'll have to make it my self. I also like all the features the all road has almost bought on instead of my golf but I think I made a better move not going allroad at this point in life. The 4.2 well wife has that in her A8 not that much better. MPG wise but maintenance not to bad just gotta tear the front end off every 100k.

Robert

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
MPG wise but maintenance not to bad just gotta tear the front end off every 100k.
That is pretty much true of all Audi's, even the cam motors, the chains are not long lived after 100K. What is odd is the 4.2tdi V8 and 3.0 tdi V6 use chains whereas the V10 uses gears...

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
the v10 is basicly a whole different engine, its the R5 engine from the transporter/treg times 2, aka prehistoric PD ****

.. the 3.0l v6 is alot more advanced and is same like the R4 2.0 tdi, I dont know the 4.2l, but I guess it will also be a 4valve design

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know scott thank's. not at least I know every time I look at the audi's now I know about the front end. Yes rub it is a 4 valve.

Robert

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
the v10 is basicly a whole different engine, its the R5 engine from the transporter/treg times 2, aka prehistoric PD ****

.. the 3.0l v6 is alot more advanced and is same like the R4 2.0 tdi, I dont know the 4.2l, but I guess it will also be a 4valve design
All V6 and V8 diesels are 4V heads. 2.5, 4.2, 4.0, 2.7, 3.0, 3.3

Underground75

TDI
Passat Variant B5.5 1.9 96kW
Nice project. I was thinking about something simular in a Passat B5.5 2.5TDI 4Motion chassis.

I was wondering how you married the 3.0TDI ecu and loom to the Allroad loom and if this is doable or complicated.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
The dual range system is fairly complex, having it's own pump and own hydraulic system. I'm hoping that I can tap off the power steering pressure line and avoid sourcing all those rare and expensive parts.
That is an absolutely brilliant idea!

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
That is pretty much true of all Audi's, even the cam motors, the chains are not long lived after 100K. What is odd is the 4.2tdi V8 and 3.0 tdi V6 use chains whereas the V10 uses gears...
And both those engines have the chains on the BACK of the engine. Mercury Marine will be releasing the 4.2 V8 TDI and 3.0 V6 TDI very soon in North America for sport marine applications. There's a lot of parts on them that likely would have made this swap easier for you. If you have any questions, let me know, I'm WAY too familiar with them! ;)