1999.5 fuel temp sensor G81 and displacement sensor G149

freebirdtdi

TDI
1999.5 jetta
I just scanned my Jetta which has pump problems all of a sudden. Code N146 was indicated. here's what is says

N146 Quantity Adjuster

-front of diesel pump

-integral with fuel temperature sensor G81 and displacement
sensor G149

My question to anyone in the know is does this mean the sensors are out
or is something wrong with the connection and harness (integral?)on the side of the pump? the photo on the scanner points to the black connection box on the side of the pump.

Dealer wants to sell me a pump, but should/can I find these parts and replace them?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I would check for problems with the connection from the ECU (the small connector is the one with these pins) to the Injection Pump. The QA housing can be replaced, but you will still need to adjust your IQ.

What kind of problems are you seeing?

freebirdtdi

TDI
1999.5 jetta
The problems are that when I start it now it runs for a few seconds then dies , I have to keep it running with my foot until it's warm. Then it starts to hunt , up and down , trying to quit then saving itself. If you give it a tap on the pedal and let of quick it dies.

I have messed with the timing and that doesn't help.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I got same code today
17969 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Control Deviation
P1561 - 35-00 - -
17971 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Lower Limit Reached
P1563 - 35-00 - -

I was driving then suddenly CEL light came on with flashing glow plug then car just died. So I hooked up Vag-Com and reset the code and drove home.
Does anybody know what this means, could be temperature sensor bad?

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Anyone with this problem needs to look at the electronics portion of their cars...

1) Check all connections (look under the plenum cover, it's the small connector on the ECU)
2) Check your wiring harness on the backside of the engine, where the engine coolant temprature sensor is... if you have a leak, it probably is where the cause is.
3) If both of these are bad, then I suggest you should try to get another QA housing off of a bad Injection pump...
4) If any of these don't help, then you have a bad ECU.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks alphaseinor! Your saying that I might have just loose connection somewhere? I accedently changed timing via Vag-Com couple weeks, could this cause the problem? Thanks!

alphaseinor

TDI
timing has nothing to do with this problem, it's strictly a sensor inside of the injection pump which is not reporting properly... so it's one of the following:
1) The Sensor is bad (replacing the QA housing)
2) The pathway between the Sensor and ECU is bad (bad wiring)
3) The ECU is not receiving the signal from the sensor (bad wiring, or fried interface on the ECU)

In my case it was a bad ECU...

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
You also don't want to change your timing with VaqCom. You CHECK the timing with VagCom, set it under the hood, then check it again.

Put it back.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Can somebody tell me what is the number supposed to be in timing adaptation window? Thank you