Torque Arm Inserts Experiences

chefmateo

TDI
2012 Golf 4dr DSG, Malone Stage 2, NAV
I have been considering adding this relatively inexpensive mod to aid with wheel hop I experience regularly since going Stage 2. My concerns are vibration. Most reviews were from GTI owners who experienced significant vibration in reverse & neutral. I would guess that a TDI motor would be 100x's worse in that regard, since they kind of have a natural "purr" already. Anyone have any experience with these torque arm inserts..do they help? and does the vibration mellow out over time?

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
BFI has their stage 1 thats only 65a or something, which they say shouldn't really add any NVH. I recently purchased it and hope to install it in the coming days/weeks.

As for actual experience, I have none.

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
damn good to know i was looking at the cause they were rubber. Well there is a mod were you just cut up truck mud flaps and insert them to increase stiffness, just cut it insert it behind the stock rubber mount smash it back together?

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
Chef has a mkVI, so BFI inserts have good history, just a bit of vibration when first installed

anyone have experience on the 034 bushing? (034 left, factory right)

link

Last edited:

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I just wanted to report back. I got my BFI stage 1 insert in today. It is so amazing. The shifts are so firm and crisp. There's no slop at all anymore. It was worth every penny, and all the install trouble, and then some. It's seriously one of my best mods so far. If for some reason happen to get another MKV or MK6, it will be absolutely be the very first thing I do.

gregprep29

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
^^^^ agreed, torque arm insert is my favorite mod for VW's. best $35-40 you can spend

chefmateo

TDI
2012 Golf 4dr DSG, Malone Stage 2, NAV
@mckpat03
can you send me that part number or link..thanks. How is the vibration when idle & going in reverse? Do you drive 6spd or DSG?

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
Black Forest Industries Dog bone Inserts are a 70 durometer for Stage 1 and 90 for stage 2. Powerflex makes a 65, 70, and 80 Durometer inserts, shown here: http://powerflexusa.com/golfmk62009.aspx

Dog bone insert alone will not eliminate the wheel hop by its self, but it is definitely well worth the money.

I have an 09 Jetta TDI (some mods listed below) which I have also installed the BFI stage 1 dog bone insert, Powerflex 80 dur. dog bone front bushing, BFI stage 1 trans mount insert, and BFI stage 1 Engine mount.

^With those I was able to squeeze out a 14.98 1/4 mile.

PM me if you have questions.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Does anybody with a MKVI have a recommendation for one of these? Which one? Did added vibration subside over time? Manufacturer and part number would be good. The last one I ordered from Australia didn't fit my 2011 Sportwagen. Thanks.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow - thanks for the info! I just ordered up the BFI insert. I'm hoping the vibration subsides a little once it's broken in. The funny thing is after I installed the DieselGeek Sigma Six, it's hard to imagine my shifts being any "crisper", but I see a lot of guys raving about this modification so in my endless pursuit of TDI perfection, I must give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did the BFI 70A. Power and shifting feels much more direct. Vibration at idle is like a big rig and it's brutally bad in reverse. I hear it gets better after 5k miles. We'll see. I think it's worth keeping.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk