1.9 TDI in a 05 F150?

billj474

TDI
2000 NB
Hi, I'm considering a swap from a 2000 Beetle into an 05 Ford F150. I'm not worried about the power aspect, the Ford has the gutless v6 and would be my daily driver for mpg not for real use as a truck. My major concern is bolting the 1.9 up to the m5r2 5 speed. Has anyone heard of an adapter plate for this setup? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Bill

crozier1

TDI
97 Jetta TDI
Your best bet is either a 4bt Cummins or the izusu 4 cylinder diesels like out of a 91 box van. If you thought the v6 was gutless you would be sorely disappointed with a tdi. My 2.8 crd liberty engine would even be pushing it in a truck that size.

PondRacer

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
4bt cummins. Not the TDI. Use the TDI in maybe a jeep cherokee or dodge dakota, nothing bigger than that.

PondRacer

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
My major concern is bolting the 1.9 up to the m5r2 5 speed. Has anyone heard of an adapter plate for this setup? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
I'm working on an adapter for its little brother th m5od-r1. Check out my ranger build tread.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The 11th-gen F-150 V6 was 202 hp, 260 ft-lbs.

RC3 on the ALH, you'll have the torque. Down quite a bit on power, but mated to a manual, it might not be horrible. Lower the truck some, to reduce drag, and it'd be acceptable on the highway.

To put things into perspective, a 9th-gen F-150 I6 was 150 hp, 260 ft-lbs in the later years... almost exactly 10 hp, 5 ft-lbs more than an RC3 ALH.

crozier1

TDI
97 Jetta TDI
I think even with a 5 speed you would really not care for what you would get. It would probably cost a lot less to put a 4bt in it and still be able to use it as a truck. With the little tdi it would be lucky to pull itself out of a wet paper sack.

PondRacer

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
If you want something for fun's sake, also consider the Detroit Diesel 4-53T or _maybe_ a 6v53t :)

There are several youtubes out there with a ford f150 running a 4-53 engine, theyre awesome

Keep in mind though that those engines are heavy, you'll maybe have to beef up the front suspension to take that weight.

PondRacer

bhtooefr

TDI
None
A better match for a full-size truck, I will say, is a 2.0, 2.5 (5 or 6), or 2.7/3.0.

Find a wrecked BHW Passat, and go from there.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I am with tooef here. Just look for a bigger TDI, doesn't have to be an ALH.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Actually, you know, BleachedBora has some PD140s, with the DOHC head.

That's the engine to get. I think it's a geared BSM already (if it has one at all), it has more power potential, and it has the roller rocker valvetrain that prevents the fail that is so common to PDs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just some thoughts:

The 4.2L V6 in that truck is more powerful than the 4.9L inline 6 in the older trucks, yet the older trucks (I have owned two 4.9L trucks, dad still has 1) has PLENTY of power to move around, and the 4.9L is very close in output to an RC1 BHW which is still a 2.0L 4cyl.... so in theory an ALH could be made to be at least as powerful with the proper mods, and the truck will already be geared pretty good. Durability may suffer, BUT you could certainly do some things to help that along. Lower the CR and run a giant turbo with higher boost, plenty of room for a mammoth-sized charge air cooler, a huge extra oil cooler, cooling system could easily be made to keep things under control there... lots of room under an F-truck's hood.

My T3 (Vanagon) has a higher GVWR than my 1993 2WD F150, yet manages this with a 70hp 4cyl. Curb weight is much lower of course, and I know it would not ever win any races. My [new-to-me] T4 is almost as heavy, and does OK with a 109hp 2.5L gasser. Again, no races will be won, but I just drove it non-stop 75 MPH home from Vegas, and it never whimpered a bit and still somehow managed 20 MPGs :eek:.

The Mazda trans in the F-truck has many versions, with many bellhousing setups. Someone else here is putting an ALH in a Ranger, with the same basic trans (just a diff bellhousing pattern) so maybe look to see what he is doing. Maybe sourcing a Ranger version M5R2 trans would work, you could use the same adapter.

Finally, I for one don't really feel that the 4.2L V6 bolted to the manual trans is exactly "gutless", and it already is capable of getting into the 20s MPG-wise with little load. You may not actually be gaining much in terms of a 4cyl TDI swap in the dollars/sense department.

billj474

TDI
2000 NB
Thanks for all the advice but I'm sticking w/the motor I already have. It's already at 300 ftlb which is already more powerful than the gasser so I think I'll be fine. I already have a 7.3 superduty which gets the same mileage as the f150 does and has been turned up & tuned so I don't really need the extra power in what will be my daily driver. I've considered the Isuzu swap but draw the line at going Cummins. I'd like to do the swap because no one else has done it. I love the handling, performance, and 50mpg of the Beetle but it's not a practical or even comfortable car for me. I'd prefer to keep the M5R2 as it would be cheaper, a little heavier built, and it's a little more of a challenge keeping everything as stock as possible.

Last edited:

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
That engine will look funny in that truck if you do complete the swap.

Remember, you'll also need to change your gear ratios since your power range is going down A LOT.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Actually, the stock gearing won't be too bad, I think.

The stock 4.2's peak power was 4350, peak torque was 3750, it seems. So, that thing didn't rev.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
If the decision is made then why as the question?
The op wrote:
My major concern is bolting the 1.9 up to the m5r2 5 speed. Has anyone heard of an adapter plate for this setup? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Bill
His questions wasn't about which motor to use, everyone else just jumped on him about that.

StevenL

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Tdi
Im not sure how amazing the AlH would be pulling that weight, youll not get anything near the beetle

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I think it will work. Truck probably won't weigh much more than a jetta with four standard size american men in it. Tune it up to 120-140hp and it should be driveable.

Downside is a tuned engine probably won't live that long if you drive at highway speeds at 90% power. Local roads, should do fine.

Gear ratios might be just right already. Want to spin that tdi faster in the truck than in the car.

I say go for it. Trucks have too much hp already.

And that cummins 4-banger is an obnoxious bucket of rocks. Loud and rough. Great engine, though. In a backhoe.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
I'm about to do this in few weeks! Look out on our IG for updates. We have the 2.0 TDI CR running stand alone with the 3.0 turbo from v6tdi and we are getting 240hp.its a beast! It will move the f250 no problem

Greg

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I like that you are trying to use the TDI in a full sized pick up.

I am on the verge of doing the same (only difference I would be using a 3/4 Ton Dodge truck when I sold the cummins out of it).

I was planning on going with a 13 speed tranny out of a big truck to make things a little "easier" on the TDI if I attempt pulling heavy loads (it could move mountains but not very quickly)...

Plus how cool would it be to roll coal while rowing through 13 gears ?!? :-O

What tranny were you thinking of using?

Cool thread.

Andrew

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Me and my old man made quite a few bell housings to mix and match stuff. Chain hoist and a lathe bed.

Find center, build from there....

The oldest was pulling a blown 4cyl Hercules out of an old Allis Chalmers loader and going to the old school high compression 60s 318 Chrysler.

Look factory. Still running after 38 years.

Most recent was putting an IH 444 in my 96 gmc srw against a nv4500 with a Chevy bell housing.

Truck had the big junk 454 with a smoked 4l80.

Now she's a grunt towing.

But back to your project, as it's been mentioned, pay attention to your powerplant:load ration.

You might end up with a turd that's all shifting show and no go.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk