3M Scotchguard film

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe that's what this product is called. It's a polyurethane clear plastic film which is applied to the front of the car--hood, backs (fronts?) of mirrors, leading edge fenders--for the purpose of protecting the paint finish. It is offered in kits but also can be dealer (Scotchguard dealer) applied. Well, anyone have any experience with this? It's a "few" bucks depending on the extent of the coverage and I wonder if it's worth it. Already I have some chips in the paint and there'll be more to come.

Karl

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It is generally well liked and it is generally thought that it does a better job of protecting your car than those cloth bras. the cloth bras tend to cause more problems than they solve (except maybe for those who drive a lot on gravel roads). The wind will move them around and that causes scraps and damage that the Scotchguard will not.

Based on what others have reported, I would have it professionally applied as it is a little tricky to do, although some users have not had trouble with it.

If you do a search, you should find a number of messages on the subject.

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
Hi,

They installed 2 on my new Jetta Wagon. One on the hood and one on top of the front windshield. Got a good deal. 2 for 1. :) . I think it does a good job. If the car is clean you can almost not see it. It is guaranted for life. See how it works out in the future. I have seen a few older cars with this and it really works. No shading/fading of the paint. Good stuff.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Karl, it really comes down to the installer - - they make or break the final outcome (appearance). I've had some friends request various panels on their cars be re-done multiple times 'til it looked right.

There are issues with it. Stones hit the material, cut it and then rust forms underneath. I've seen Florida cars where the bugs have been left on too long and caused some serious staining.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I have it on both of the MB's, the day they left the dealership when new they both went straight to the installer for the film!

I have the Partial (not full hood) on both vehicles, mirrors, and a 20Mil on all the headlights.

Even on the black ML you can barely see the seam!

After they install it, make sure you give the whole car a complete wax job! Wax is the key to keeping the film in good condition and it also helps resist glancing blows.

Price for the ML was $650, the E was around $550 for everything and installed.

They needed the ML overnight since it is black and requires a bit more work to make it look perfect.

Definately NOT a do it yourself job!

DB

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I'm struggling with a short-shifter install or the film though the film will be quite a bit more in cost...now, to find someone good (somewhat) nearby in NE Pa......

Karl