Seat Moves by Itself!

shocku992

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Good Evening Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2005.5 Jetta TDI. This is my second TDI and I absolutely love them! Over the last few weeks mine has been driving me crazy. It seems something is going on with my drivers side seat memory module. While I'm driving down the road, my seat moves from position 1, to position 2 and to position 3. It's random, sometimes it goes in order, sometimes not. When It moves backward it does it does it almost like stop motion. It moves then pauses then moves... When it is going forward it moves fluidly all the way forward. Needless to say this is not only dangerous but REALLY annoying. I was able to reprogram position 1 and 2 to be near by usual seating position. The third one won't save. Do you guys have any ideas on how to fix a possessed seat?

On an unrelated note my right rear speaker hisses and crackles like it's got some type of grounding problem. It only does it when the stereo is powered on, and it doesn't do it all the time. Not sure if any of you have seen anything like that either.

Lastly, I'd love to find someone here in Chattanooga with a VCDS so I can disable my seatbelt chime. I always wear a seatbelt when driving, but as a student I often toss my book bag in the front passenger seat. I would LOVE to not have the seatbelt chime go off for my book bag.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
My power seat was doing that this past week. Took the memory seat switch out of the seat and cleaned the inside (#3 contacts were corroded).

The switch should pop out of the seat, if you push the seat bolster away from the
plastic, and reach your hand in there and push up on the switch.

Once out and disconnected from the seat, you should be able to pry open the
switch without breaking the tabs. I actually pried my switch out from the top
of the seat, and the bottom part with the contacts stayed behind. After cleaning the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, and removing the corrosion, the switch snapped back together.

shocku992

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Just pulled the switch out, thanks for the advice. I'll try and clean it this afternoon. Hopefully that will fix it.

GBrown31

TDI
06 Jetta 15 Passat SEL
My wifes 06 was doing the same thing. Scary going down the road and all of a sudden you cant reach the pedals or the steering wheel is in your chest. I ended up replacing the switch on hers to get it to stop.

dmg15

TDI
Non turbo petrol R36 passat
Another clue

I realise this thread is old af but i just had this issue in my R36 passat and i would really like to know why it does it. Not sure if everyone elses issue is triggered by the same thing as mine, or maybe you haven’t noticed, but the issue only occurs when the passenger isn’t wearing their seatbelt and a certain amount of time has elapsed.

If i put something on the passenger seat, it starts happening about 3 mins / 1km into the trip. My seatbelt chime is disabled so it happens quite often to me and i have to remove the weight from the passenger seat to rectify it.